• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I just picked this used Charter Arms .38 up @ Premier Arms in Brownsburg yesterday. No box or info and was hoping the collective mind of INGO could help put an approximate year (or decade) it was made. I love the wood grips, but I'm worried they'll be a little slippery when fired. Never had wood grips.

So INGO, help a brother out....approx year and advice on the grip slippage would be helpful too.

Thanks all,
    Chachi
    picture.php

picture.php

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Just a guess, but I would say it is a newer one. It looks nothing like my beat up Charter that my mom bought at Galyans around 1982 (blued finish). My google-fu is not finding any comprehensive born-on dates by serial number. You could always try Charter Arms themselves.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A copy of a message that came from The Firing Line which linked back to a thread on The High Road. A response to one persons question to Charter Arms about his gun:

We do not have the records for the old models but i could tell you that if you
    see on the barrel and if it says Stratford Ct it was made 1970-1980
    Bridgport Ct 1960-1970, Ansonia Ct 1990.

If you believe the above, your gun was made between 1970 and 1980.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A copy of a message that came from The Firing Line which linked back to a thread on The High Road. A response to one persons question to Charter Arms about his gun:

We do not have the records for the old models but i could tell you that if you
    see on the barrel and if it says Stratford Ct it was made 1970-1980
    Bridgport Ct 1960-1970, Ansonia Ct 1990.

If you believe the above, your gun was made between 1970 and 1980.

And if that's the case... You've probably got yourself a right decent revolver.

Charter has been bought & sold a few times over the years. Quality has gone up & down depending on who has owned them.

Some years, Charter is generally decent quality. Some years...not so much.

-J-

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    thanks guys. any advice on the skinny slick wood grips? I'm thinking wrap them with several rubber bands so they'll fill my hand and give me something to hang onto.

chach

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Just get some other grips.
    It's what I did with my Security Six so many years ago.
    Revolver grips aren't really that expensive until you get into custom styles and exotic woods.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Holy Bell Bottoms, Batman! It's a 70s Charter Arms.

It's alive! Aaahhhh, run for the hills.:D

thanks guys. any advice on the skinny slick wood grips? I'm thinking wrap them with several rubber bands so they'll fill my hand and give me something to hang onto.

Negative, ghostrider, the rubber bands will retain water and you'll get rust on the backstrap . . . ummm, a friend told me that, yeah, that's it, a friend told me that.:D

Just take your revolver to the next Indy 1500 and go shopping.:)

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    just found the info below...looks like it might be closer to 1990 based on the serial no. Thanks for the advice on the rubber bands Kirk, i'm sure your friend regrets doing that. ;) Still, in great shape for 20+ year old gun. Must have been in someone's drawer for 2 decades.

FWIT - The guys at Premier were great as always!

The earliest 1st Gen - ~0 to ~15,000 have NO barrel ADDRESS and s/n is on lower right corner on right side of frame. CA company founded in 1964, first production pieces of the Undercover model produced in 1965
    Bridgeport CONN address - ~15000 to ~315,000 1967 - 1973

Stratford CONN address - ~316000 to ~1,090,000 1974 - ~1991
    All marked as Charter Arms Corporation

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Try to get some tyler t grips for it. They usually are easier to find and less expensive than the ones made for S & W and will allow you to keep that low profile. A charter undercover was my first CCW bought when I was 21 at kiesler's. It was a police trade in and I paid right at $100 for it. They are good guns for the money. They actually lock in in 3 places similiar to the old Smith triple locks you hear tell of.

Top Bottom