• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zanemoseley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Hey guys I'm down in Tennessee between Nashville and Knoxville, I enjoy shooting and collecting quality firearms, I'll soon be at 6 guns with a replacement value of 12k. I need to get my first and hopefully only safe. I went to Nashville today to a safe retailer and fell in love with the ft knox safes, I really love the airtight feeling closure of their doors.

I'd love to buy the ft knox from the nashville dealer but they are 1k cheaper online including delivery from both. I was looking at the defender 6637 which is 66 x 37 x 27, I would upgrade to 7ga body and 3/8" door.

For about $275 less I can get the larger 72 x 40 x 26 safe with the same metal thickness from Johnson Safe.

Since I'm in Tennessee and can't see a Johnson Safe in person can you guys tell me how they compare to the quality of Ft Knox. I was really impressed with the door closure on the ft knox, it's hard to explain but when opening it almost had a suction effect since the door was fit so well.

I work for a mid sized cabinet and upholstery shop and would love to pass my money onto another smaller US manufacturer. I really wish he had a better web site but he doesn't sound internet savvy and may get enough business without focusing on internet sales. I'd love to hear some input on the quality between the two brands.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/johnson-safe/

First, welcome to INGO. Hopefully you hang around after you get your answer.

I have never heard anyone say a negative word about Johnson Safes. They are custom made to order and the owner is a member of this forum. There is actually a sub forum to discuss Johnson Safes (link above) and I know you wouldn't be disappointed with one. There are lots of customers here that rave about them. You will have to wait a bit though while the safe is built.

Fort Knox are also excellent and top quality. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

All that said, I don't own either, for whatever that's worth.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Zanemoseley,

Welcome to INGO.

When I purchase all things of a major investment I look for the highest quality available. As every company has a self centered interest in promoting their own product I go with an unbiased 3rd party whenever possible. This means normally I use "Consumer Reports" for most home products, or "JD Powers" for automobiles. Each of these rates and tests products without concern for which I buy.

In the case of a gun safe I use "Underwriters Laboratories." If I were you I would research the UL ratings for safes and go with the one with the best rating. If neither one of them is rated I wouldn't buy either one. If both are rated equally I would go with the most bang for your buck.

Regards,

Doug

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I can't speak for Ft Knox safes but I do own a Johnson Safe and it is great. If I was going to get a larger safe it would be a Johnson. But as the folks said above do your research and buy what fits you best.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since I'm in Tennessee and can't see a Johnson Safe in person can you guys tell me how they compare to the quality of Ft Knox.

Umm, sure you. Come on up! The Indy 1500 is coming soon and Jeff sets up there. Turn it into a long weekend, take in a museum, great restaurants, shopping, and, best of all, a gun show--you'll love it.:D

I own a couple of Johnson safes, you will be very happy with them. IMO the welding, interiors, and the fire insulation is far superior.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only thing I can say is Ft. Knox has great customer service. When I went overseas I left my gun safe in a buddy's garage and left the face plate at another location. A divorce later most of the stuff left at "another location" was no longer mine. I called Ft. Knox and they sent me a replacement face plate free and I had it within 3 days.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I met with Jeff about 3 weeks ago to order my safe. I was down to Ft. Knox and Johnson as I was doing research. IMPO, you get more for your money on a Johnson. Ft. Knox still uses gypsum board (drywall) as their fire retardant. Johnson's use of ceramic insulation makes them a better long term investment.

I went to Jeff's shop and spoke with him in person. There's really nothing fancy about the mechanics inside the door. I got to see multiple safes in various states of manufacture and I'm spending my money (about $3k) and trusting my irreplacable heirlooms to Jeff's quality and reputation.

That being said, Ft. Knox is probably the best commercially manufactured safe out there. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

zanemoseley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for all the great info guys. I had no idea there was a Johnson Safe sub-forum here, I'll do some reading there.

What do you guys think of the door to body fit in particular? I just really noticed at the safe store yesterday how many other brands were more clunky and rough compared to the Ft. Knox. Does the Johnson have a very high quality feel to the fit.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My father has a FT Knox. I have a Johnson, with another on the way. My father has talked about trading his FT Knox into Jeff to get a Johnson.

The reason he wants to trade his safe in is its to small.
    The reason he wants to trade it in to Jeff is after owning both, the Johnson won in our minds.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The Indy 1500 show is this coming weekend. Johnson is always there as a vendor - if you can go to the show you can get hands on the safes and ask Johnson all the questions you want.

Top Bottom