• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i have a m&p9 and a m&p22, i do a lot of practice with my m&p22 because the ammo is so much cheaper and i am on target with it, and my m&p9 just sits in a safe. anyway i took the 9mm to my inlaws backyard range (shooting 124 grain handloads) and i could hit the steel at 25 feet away but couldnt hit the steel at 50 feet. i noticed the weeds and stuff in front of the target would move (steel target on the ground) so i would have to aim above the steel to hit it. then i went to my indoor range with paper (still shooting 124 grain handloads) and was consistently hitting the paper about 6 inches lower than where i was aiming. what gives? i dont think its the gun or the sights, i think i am the problem.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Best thing to do it bag up the pistol up so that there is no movement and shoot the target. This will tell you if it is you or the gun.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i just tried a few dry fires, while slowly pulling the trigger i noticed the front sight dip down....i also noticed my 3 dots (using truglos, not the stock sights) dont line up straight when the tops of the front and rear sights are straight across like this
    1xKt1Jo.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I was actually having a problem with my (aftermarket) front sight (on my M&P 40 pro) coming loose repeatedly. After having an expert try to fix it and it coming loose again i sent it to S&W. They returned the .40 with a new front sight installed (old sight in a bag) and a neat little 10 round mag.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    i just tried a few dry fires, while slowly pulling the trigger i noticed the front sight dip down....i also noticed my 3 dots (using truglos, not the stock sights) dont line up straight when the tops of the front and rear sights are straight across like this
    1xKt1Jo.jpg

You need to replace the sights.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You need to replace the sights.

This.

If the dots are configured like your diagram, and you aligning your dots, you would need to
    skew the front down to attempt to align them as viewed from the rear.
    You are dropping the front of the gun down and raising your rear, lowering your POI.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds to me like your hand loads are underpowered. Either try factory ammo and test your poi/poa or measure velocity of your handloads.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is the front sight the proper height and the dot just misaligned, or is it possible the front sight is not the proper height?

Are these standard sights (not night sights, I'm assuming)? If the sights are the proper height and you are not too attached to the dots, take a sharpie and color all the dots black and just align the sights. If you are shooting properly at that point, you have a decision to make.

Bradis has some M&P armorers who can change the sights out for you. Not sure where you are located.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is this common with M&Ps? I was actually looking for something else when I ran across this old post on the Smith forum with a similar statement about the sights:

M&P 9mm to .22 conversion kit?

I don't have my M&P 9c anymore so I don't know if mine was like that or not.

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Please do us all a service and e-mail the manufacturer a photo of the dot misalignment and let us know the results. Feel free to let them know that a few thousand folks are anxious to know if this is how they were designed and if so, why.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If ignoring the dots doesn't correct the problem,file a bit off the front sight-problem solved- front sights are often made a bit high on purpose to permit this bit of adjustment. Dots are primarily for low light defensive shooting at close range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Please do us all a service and e-mail the manufacturer a photo of the dot misalignment and let us know the results. Feel free to let them know that a few thousand folks are anxious to know if this is how they were designed and if so, why.

1xKt1Jo.jpg

:ingo:

Top Bottom