• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    A coup!e years back, I purchased a couple S&W 15-22 pistols for the wife and I in hopes of introducing her into firearms and gun ownership.................and it worked perfectly.

Now the obvious problem, we don't want to become felons with the new ATF law, so looking for the easiest solution to avoid this.

I'm hearing/reading speculation that just removing the brace may not suffice, so the next easiest solution (to me, but open to suggestions), would be to swap out the 8" uppers for 16" uppers.

Here's where I could use INGO's help, I'm not finding any 16" 15-22 uppers anywhere. I'll admit, my google-fu game is weak and maybe just not looking it the right places. New or used, any leads would be very appreciated and potentially cause our next born to be named after you, (relax, we're almost 60, lol).

Thanks for reading INGO.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Can you not swap a barrel on a 15-22?

I would probably just do a barrel swap.
    For the price of a barrel you could sell your pistol for $200-250 and buy a 15-22 rifle which currently has a $75 rebate And come out ahead.

$410 + shipping less $75 rebate

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    S&W never sold 15/22 uppers separately so you are probably out of luck there.

The advice I am giving people is to just stand pat for the time being. Don't do anything rash. See how this all shakes out because there are multiple lawsuits that are being filed this week. Worst case, you get toward the 120 day mark and you go and file it as an SBR.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    For the price of a barrel you could sell your pistol for $200-250 and buy a 15-22 rifle which currently has a $75 rebate And come out ahead.

$410 + shipping less $75 rebate

Looks like you can get a barrel for $125~150 or so. Less than the cost of a tax stamp.

This is assuming they want to keep the brace and not move to an actual rifle with a stock.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Looks like you can get a barrel for $125~150 or so. Less than the cost of a tax stamp.

This is assuming they want to keep the brace and not move to an actual rifle with a stock.
    Where can you get a barrel for a 15-22 for that?

If you want to avoid the whole registration (that is not a gun registry) you want either a pistol or a rifle. OP wants a longer barrel, ergo he likely wants to make it into a rifle. Even at $125 by the time you pay someone to swap the barrel or buy the S&W specific barrel wrench it may still be cheaper to sell the pistol and buy a rifle. Any spare mags, optics will be plug and play.

Not necessary the best option but an easy ‘swap’.

You could wait and see what happens in the courts but the whole braced pistol thing has always been a thinly veiled attempt to do an end around the rules and I suspect the courts will let them stand. But I digress, there is another thread for that whole discussion.

End thread jack.

Just my :twocents:, YMMV

EDIT: FYI no charge tax stamps during the grace period if I understand correctly.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Where can you get a barrel for a 15-22 for that?

If you want to avoid the whole registration (that is not a gun registry) you want either a pistol or a rifle. OP wants a longer barrel, ergo he likely wants to make it into a rifle. Even at $125 by the time you pay someone to swap the barrel or buy the S&W specific barrel wrench it may still be cheaper to sell the pistol and buy a rifle. Any spare mags, optics will be plug and play.

Not necessary the best option but an easy ‘swap’.

You could wait and see what happens in the courts but the whole braced pistol thing has always been a thinly veiled attempt to do an end around the rules and I suspect the courts will let them stand. But I digress, there is another thread for that whole discussion.

End thread jack.

Just my :twocents:, YMMV

EDIT: FYI no charge tax stamps during the grace period if I understand correctly.
    I just googled 15-22 barrels and found a few 16” ones.

I’m not saying my idea is a good one - it’s just what I probably would have done without alternative advice.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    If he goes this route, he's going to need new, longer hand guards or its going to look funny.
    My understanding is that the hand guard is part of the upper and not removable. Thats why the barrel wrench looks like a really deep socket.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A coup!e years back, I purchased a couple S&W 15-22 pistols for the wife and I in hopes of introducing her into firearms and gun ownership.................and it worked perfectly.

Now the obvious problem, we don't want to become felons with the new ATF law, so looking for the easiest solution to avoid this.

I'm hearing/reading speculation that just removing the brace may not suffice, so the next easiest solution (to me, but open to suggestions), would be to swap out the 8" uppers for 16" uppers.

Here's where I could use INGO's help, I'm not finding any 16" 15-22 uppers anywhere. I'll admit, my google-fu game is weak and maybe just not looking it the right places. New or used, any leads would be very appreciated and potentially cause our next born to be named after you, (relax, we're almost 60, lol).

Thanks for reading INGO.
    1673925114099.png
    What 15-22 pistol?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My understanding is that the hand guard is part of the upper and not removable. Thats why the barrel wrench looks like a really deep socket.

Oh wow, yeah... that makes things more difficult for sure.

t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    4BA56C77-A471-4A04-947A-9316B531C6FB.jpeg 4BA56C77-A471-4A04-947A-9316B531C6FB.jpeg
    You could saw off the fake buffer tube and add a strap sling like the original 15-22P pistol I have. Maybe S&W will have a kit to convert it?

Top Bottom