• ...and so much more!
  • Popeye Thee Sailor

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    Morgan Co.
    Buying a new helmet and with all the brands out there its a hard pick. I'm torn between Project Denmark and Hard Head Veterans. Both seem to work well on the wallet and in reviews for ballistic IIIA. Has anyone tried either of these brands and/or has a better recommendation?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Surplus...

dXmiquc.jpg

:laugh:

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The thing to watch out for in armor, and especially helmets is back face deformation. To be rated there are several standards, most commonly used in the US is the NIJ. Some companies don't or will not submit armor for testing, and test on their own. The armor might stop the desired round and that looks good on film, but not measure the back face deformation, which can still cause serious injury/death.

If buying a surplus helmet, the pad system andd suspension system is a must.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Better pads, even airsoft clones of pad upgrade kits, help surplus helmets a ton.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Buying a new helmet and with all the brands out there its a hard pick. I'm torn between Project Denmark and Hard Head Veterans. Both seem to work well on the wallet and in reviews for ballistic IIIA. Has anyone tried either of these brands and/or has a better recommendation?

30% off right now with code: NEWGEAR30
    NM they are sold out right now. You can put your email address to be notified if they get more in before the sale is over.

Armymen3002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2024
    Kokomo
    Honestly helmets are a very weird subject. I knew I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money as I’m not a cop and I’ve never really liked the idea of helmets..The majority of the time if you’re gonna get into a gun fight and you’re already wearing it, it’s more than likely against a rifle caliber which the helmet wont stop it.

HHV is also using rebranded Chinese helmets, I went straight to a Chinese website and ordered a “IIIA rated” helmet for like $100 lol

Popeye Thee Sailor

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    Morgan Co.
    The thing to watch out for in armor, and especially helmets is back face deformation. To be rated there are several standards, most commonly used in the US is the NIJ. Some companies don't or will not submit armor for testing, and test on their own. The armor might stop the desired round and that looks good on film, but not measure the back face deformation, which can still cause serious injury/death.

If buying a surplus helmet, the pad system andd suspension system is a must.
    That’s good to know! I guess that’ll help narrow it down now.

Popeye Thee Sailor

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    Morgan Co.
    I
    Honestly helmets are a very weird subject. I knew I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money as I’m not a cop and I’ve never really liked the idea of helmets..The majority of the time if you’re gonna get into a gun fight and you’re already wearing it, it’s more than likely against a rifle caliber which the helmet wont stop it.

HHV is also using rebranded Chinese helmets, I went straight to a Chinese website and ordered a “IIIA rated” helmet for like $100 lol
    Ive watched a few videos on them and it seems “rated for (insert caliber here)” only means “Well.. it’s won’t go THROUGH it. But it’ll crush your skull all the same”

Armymen3002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2024
    Kokomo
    I

Ive watched a few videos on them and it seems “rated for (insert caliber here)” only means “Well.. it’s won’t go THROUGH it. But it’ll crush your skull all the same”
    Yep same with actual armor in your kit. There’s advantages and disadvantages to steel just as there is for Poly style plates. If I get shot in the head, no matter what I have on, it’s my fault for putting it out there and it’s probably my time to go lol

Popeye Thee Sailor

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    Morgan Co.
    Yep same with actual armor in your kit. There’s advantages and disadvantages to steel just as there is for Poly style plates. If I get shot in the head, no matter what I have on, it’s my fault for putting it out there and it’s probably my time to go lol
    True that! I’ve always been more of a steel fan. Everyone can “but the fraaaag” me all day. In theory, if they are close enough to hit accurate shots already then I want a little more multi hit protection. But you’re right to each their own.

Armymen3002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2024
    Kokomo
    True that! I’ve always been more of a steel fan. Everyone can “but the fraaaag” me all day. In theory, if they are close enough to hit accurate shots already then I want a little more multi hit protection. But you’re right to each their own.
    Absolutely! I went with III+ just for the little bit extra protection but if it goes through the same hole I’d be SOL lol The weight savings was my main concern over 4’s. I believe they were around 8lbs each vs mine at 5!

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I would stay away from Hard Headed Veterans, as their sourcing from China is kinda questionable. Revision/Galvion makes ceramic ballistics helmets for a decent price. Ops-Core/Team Wendy is where things start getting expensive. Then the next step up is taking out a mortgage to look like Boba Fett with a Dev-Tac.

The only helmet I have is an XL that's too big for me...I forgot to turn it in when I DD214'd out and they never noticed :hehe:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Mission drives gear. Are you already wearing one a lot? When I was .mil, I had plenty of time to don and doff kit. If it was something I wore often I would probably want something light weight and hi cut. Maybe something from Team Wendy?

When I was LE, the seconds seemed to move faster. I kept a surplus ACH with upgraded pads with a level 4 plate carrier in the trunk. Every situation where that stuff would have been useful, seems like I never had time to get it on.

If you already have a surplus helmet and you aren't wearing it often, upgrade the pads and call it done.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I’ve used most. I prefer team Wendy at the moment mostly because of their ratcheting retention system. The crye airframe is goofy. The mtek was the best when they used TW straps, but now that they don’t it’s kinda crap. IF you can go mount the TW system to the MTek Flux then it’d be that helmet all day. Super lightweight, and zero holes drilled through the helmet.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow, I didn't know that about HHV. I really like their microlatice pads. I have a Wendy bump helmet and the fit is great, but it can get hot during a long Run-n-Gun event.

Top Bottom