• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have been debating on getting the Springfield Hellcat. I am new to handgun ownership, this will be my 1st. I am looking for something easy to conceal and descent capacity. I notice there are a fair number of these for sale in the classifieds and most of them are willing to trade for another similar competitors model. Is there something off or unappealing about these?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Not a Hellcat owner but I might be able to shed a little light on this.

All of these higher capacity micro 9's are small. They have snappy recoil and can be more difficult to shoot accurately. Folks will buy the "newest and bestest" because everyone says it's the best thing since sliced bread. After a range trip and a box of ammo, they realize it's tough to shoot. So they go for the next bestest one. Repeat.

Some will buy one model, say the P365 and like it. But it might have one thing they don't care (grip texture, aftermarket support, lever location, trigger feel etc) for and the same type of gun from a different manufacturer, Hellcat, Shield plus, Ruger Max, etc might solve that issue for them. It very well may. But it also may solve that one issue but another one surfaces. Now they try to fix that issue.

It's a never ending cycle for the perfect gun that meets every need. I've been there. Heck I'm still there.

As to Springfield and the Hellcat, they are good guns. Some say they are not on par with G****, Sig or S&W. All manufacturers have issues. I've carried a XDs for 8 years now. It's as close to perfect as I have found. I've taken training classes with it, shot it at an IDPA match or two and it's gets shot about every range trip. It's been flawless. If I liked the Hellcat (I can't say I donor don't as I've never fired one) I'd trust my life with it.

Since you are new to guns, I'll give you a few points of advice.

Don't start with a pocket 9. As I mentioned above, they can be more difficult to shoot well. When you're first starting out, if you don't shoot good, some people will not continue to practice and train as it won't inspire the confidence they need.

Also, try as many pistols as possible before you buy. Find a range that rents them and shoot as many as you can.

But the biggest thing is get some training before you buy. A good trainer will help you decide what's best for you.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I would suggest a range trip to rent a few handguns before you decide on what you would like to buy and carry. Or a range trip with a friend that has a few different platforms you can try. That being said, I have a few hellcats and I’m very fond of them from a daily concealed carry pov. Still prefer a medium to large frame pistol for overall ergonomics and accuracy but hellcat is great for a small carry pistol.

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    Good advice on the range rentals.

I have a Hellcat RDP.

The biggest thing I hear people complain about is the grip is more squared off. The P365 or Shield has better ergonomics in that regard. I don't notice it in defensive training, but it may get a bit annoying if you are spending a few hours punching holes in paper.

The second biggest thing is getting pinched on the palm when speed reloading. The Hellcat has a shorter grip than something like a P365XL or Glock 48/43x. When slamming a mag home, if you aren't cognizant of it, you can give yourself a blood blister on your palm. Palm pinch may also be a factor on P365 or Shield, but I don't have enough experience with running those hard. This also shouldn't be as big a problem with the Hellcat Pro due to the larger grip.

I bought and run the Hellcat RDP for a few reasons:
    Micro 9MM for IWB conceal carry.
    Respectable amount of mag capacity: 11, 13, 15.
    Specifically the OSP/RDP version: I red dot everything these days.
    Specifically the RDP version: indexed compensator. I can swap on a suppressor to play with and then screw the compensator back on when done and it auto indexes into the correct position. No tools needed. NOTE: I don't really experience a significantly noticeable degree of compensation, but it is there. And, I didn't have to buy a separate threaded barrel.

I've considered making the RDP my primary and carrying a second Hellcat as a backup as the mags would be compatible. It's a toss up between going Glock 48 MOS with shield arms mags.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I picked up a HC Pro the other day. Shot the HC , Sig 365XL and SW Shield Plus back to back. Going to sell the SW mainly due to the sloppy magazine fit.

I still shoot the 365XL the best but the HC is very close. I actually like the squared off and slightly larger grip of the HC Pro.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I carry my Hellcat about 70% of the time. I have no problem shooting it and It has been 100% reliable. Having ability to have 10, 12 and 15 round magazines at a half way affordable price is nice also. Magazines have been on sale for as low as $21.99.

Last month I had to go to Georgia for a family thing and I carried the gun 24 hours a day except for taking showers. We were staying at relatives I did not want to leave the gun unattended and forgot that I was carrying it most of the time. There are a lot of choices for holsters for the Hellcat and the others.

I have a p365 but can’t shoot it as well as the hellcat. The new shield plus is a nice gun but the grip Texture is so great to catch up on your clothing when you conceal carry it.

Right now Springfield has a promotion going on striker fired firearms, get three extra magazines and a case.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    The Hellcat is a WONDERFUL carry gun. If you are looking for a target shooter, like these gentlemen are alluding to, then no, not the best choice, however, it is a PERFECT self defense pistol. I love mine and pocket carry it all the time. It's very reliable and very accurate.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Not a Hellcat owner but I might be able to shed a little light on this.

All of these higher capacity micro 9's are small. They have snappy recoil and can be more difficult to shoot accurately. Folks will buy the "newest and bestest" because everyone says it's the best thing since sliced bread. After a range trip and a box of ammo, they realize it's tough to shoot. So they go for the next bestest one. Repeat.

Some will buy one model, say the P365 and like it. But it might have one thing they don't care (grip texture, aftermarket support, lever location, trigger feel etc) for and the same type of gun from a different manufacturer, Hellcat, Shield plus, Ruger Max, etc might solve that issue for them. It very well may. But it also may solve that one issue but another one surfaces. Now they try to fix that issue.

It's a never ending cycle for the perfect gun that meets every need. I've been there. Heck I'm still there.

As to Springfield and the Hellcat, they are good guns. Some say they are not on par with G****, Sig or S&W. All manufacturers have issues. I've carried a XDs for 8 years now. It's as close to perfect as I have found. I've taken training classes with it, shot it at an IDPA match or two and it's gets shot about every range trip. It's been flawless. If I liked the Hellcat (I can't say I donor don't as I've never fired one) I'd trust my life with it.

Since you are new to guns, I'll give you a few points of advice.

Don't start with a pocket 9. As I mentioned above, they can be more difficult to shoot well. When you're first starting out, if you don't shoot good, some people will not continue to practice and train as it won't inspire the confidence they need.

Also, try as many pistols as possible before you buy. Find a range that rents them and shoot as many as you can.

But the biggest thing is get some training before you buy. A good trainer will help you decide what's best for you.
    Also have a XDs since they came out.
    Great gun and I have carried it since new.
    The perfect carry gun for me also.
    VERY HARD TO BEAT!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Personally I don't care for them. Square grip is not as conductive to soaking up recoil as some of the others mentioned. Best advice is go to the range and shoot several models. I prefer a Shield plus or G 48/43X to the Hellcat but you could very well be more comfortable with the Hellcat. You won't know unless you try a few and once you decide get a good holster and some training from a respected source..

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I am planning to pocket carry. I will practice somewhat, but this won't be my target pistol. I am looking for something that will not be seen unless necessary, I have 2xl+ hands and like the extended clips.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    I am planning to pocket carry. I will practice somewhat, but this won't be my target pistol. I am looking for something that will not be seen unless necessary, I have 2xl+ hands and like the extended clips.
    Well, I said it's easy to pocket carry, but, I'm a pretty big dude. :dunno:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    FWIW...I carry a HC. Functions flawlessly. Would not carry any other sub-compact. Love it. I am a 6"4" big guy with big hands and it feels very comfortable and manageable in my hands. I carry it in a IWB cross breed holster that I got from SA. Very comfortable, so much so at times I forget that I am carrying it. Just my two cents.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    I've been pocket carrying for many years. I use the 15 round mag as well. Doesn't print at all. Now, I wear cargo shorts and pants. If you wear tight jeans, might be a problem.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I have been liking the Hellcat OSP & haven't gotten an optic for it YET
    I shoot it great & as good as my Glock43X or M&P Shield 2.0 do
    Have a SIG P365XL coming that may goof things up
    Always looking for something better
    The HC was the last handgun I bought & paid $372.90 = $399.00 OTD HS Produkt H11.JPG

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: Pocket carrying a firearm without a holster is high on the list of "incredibly stupid things you can do with a firearm".

But if one thinks they must, the gun, especially a striker-fired semi-auto, should not have a round in the chamber.

Also on the list of "incredibly stupid things you can do with a firearm" is carry it without a round in the chamber.

Even revolvers should be carried in pocket holsters to A) help keep them clean and B ) to help ensure that they're always in the right place & orientation.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    Yeah, the Hellcat is safe and smart to pocket carry. Thanks for being an educated member of the team. :yesway:

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    OP: Pocket carrying a firearm without a holster is high on the list of "incredibly stupid things you can do with a firearm".

But if one thinks they must, the gun, especially a striker-fired semi-auto, should not have a round in the chamber.

Also on the list of "incredibly stupid things you can do with a firearm" is carry it without a round in the chamber.

Even revolvers should be carried in pocket holsters to A) help keep them clean and B ) to help ensure that they're always in the right place & orientation.
    They make a trigger guard, tie the lanyard to a belt loop and it will pop off when you draw. Safe and doesn't add mass.

Top Bottom