• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Has anyone else had the distinct pleasure of whacking a fallen hedgeapple with a small game point from their bow. A most satifying way to idle away a few minutes on a slow morning in a treestand! I even spread a few around my stand for future target practice.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I carry 2 arrows with fresh broadheads for deer, 1 arrow with a used broadhead for varmint use (racoon, opossum, etc) and 2 arrows with practice field points on them. The pratice arrows get shot every day before I get out of my treestand. I get enough practice from the ground, but I dont get a lot of elevated shooting practice so i always take a couple whenever I get the chance. Pick a leaf near my 20 yd marker and see how close I can get.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Yep, have done that when they are bedded down. We had them all over Missouri. The hedge wood makes an awesome bow too. Great practice for hitting small targets. Helps when you shoot a squirrel to get it in the head rather than through what little meat there is.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Never shot hedge apples but I carry small game points the Judo or bludgon tips squirrels and varmints are always fair game. Practice before season on tennis balls with the small game tips.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I usually do all my practice before the season not in my stand. Occasionally I'll take a shot at a squirrel sometimes on the way out of the woods, but I usually just try and be as quiet as possible so I dont spook deer

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I usually bring at least 3 Judos with me for squirrels. If dont see a deer by 8:30ish. I start shooting squirrels and birds. Never seen any hedge apples in our woods. What do they look like?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I usually bring at least 3 Judos with me for squirrels. If dont see a deer by 8:30ish. I start shooting squirrels and birds. Never seen any hedge apples in our woods. What do they look like?

hedgeapple-1.jpg

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    This may seem like a dumb question but when you say spread them around the perimeter do you mean the inside or the outside? I picked up a bunch yesterday.

Top Bottom