• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So earlier this week, while I was at work, there was a sick raccoon by my wife's car. She tried callin animal control, they don't do wildlife. She called DNR, they said call the cops. She called the Hammond PD and they told her call animal control.
    She finally told the HPD never mind, she'd shoot it herself. The dispatcher said someone would be right there.
    A patrolman showed up and agreed, there was something really seriously wrong with this raccoon, but he'd have to get permission to shoot it. A supervisor showed up and agreed, it was really sick and gave permission to shoot it. The patrolman apparently wanted to be quick draw McGaw and tried to draw and fire. He missed from 3 feet. :dunno:The second shot hit the animal, but it wasn't a fatal shot. After a couple of minutes the supervisor said to shoot it again. Again the patrolman missed from three feet. Finally the fourth shot finished off the animal.
    :D My wife was disappointed, she wanted to finally use her .380 to shoot something besides paper.
    Remember, take the time to aim your shots!

Last edited:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Then she should've just shot, shoveled and shut up! :):

Or, she should have shoveled, shoveled, and shut up. If she shot, depending on where she lives, the neighbors would have called the cops on her. However, a couple blows upside the head with the shovel should have done the trick.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Then she should've just shot, shoveled and shut up! :):

Around here that shot would've brought out the swat team, but I would tend to agree with you.
    I can just see the charges now.
    Unlawful dishcharge of a firearm.
    Hunting without a license
    Taking out of season.
    maintaining a common nusiance
    scaring the hell outta the old lady next door
    daring to exercise her rights
    etc, etc, ad nauseum:xmad:

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I live in Hammond and a friend of mine has a problem with wild cats living under his deck. The only firearm he has is a single shot 410 shotgun. He shot one in the face with a 3" magnum. His neighbor came out and asked him if he wanted to borrow something with a little less bark. Cops never showed up.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    How did the car fare? I hope they got it out first. Around here you shoot it an dthrough it in the woods or let the dogs have it. Good thing about throughing it the woods, draws coyotes which = more shooting, which = more bait, which = more shooting which... well you get the idea:dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd try to make a funny comment about the situation, but the firearm skills of the cop is so pathetic I'd feel bad.

Good thing a pathetic sick animal can't shoot back.

I've got a neighbor who's a retired cop. He has a thing about snakes and a couple times a year I'll here him down at the crossing shooting a snake with his 410. boom, boom, boom, from less than 10 feet away. Then next time I'm down there I'll make a point of seeing what was so terrifying, about half the time there will be a two foot water snake busted near in two right in the middle.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    About 8 years ago I stopped at a deer vs car accident in Fort Wayne. We were bored so waited on the Fort Wayne police officer to show up and finish the doe off. I'm not going to mention any names so we can call him officer "Rusty" :D fired the first shot from 3 ft missed at which point the three guys and myself start snickering. 2nd shot 2 ft missed, I asked him if he would like me to do it for him, which brought on the "get back behind the car!" with lots of snickering. 3rd shot 2ft hit the does ear, now we are full on laughing our &%^% off. Finally fourth shot point blank in the head. So he proceeds to try and read us the riot act but we are to busy commenting on his marksmanship so he told us to leave.

:laugh:

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    dak109: He has a cage trap set up. He shot it in the cage. Cat was definitely dead. He has railroad tracks a few a few blocks away. That is where he disposed of it.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Me and my Marine brother-in-law found a skunk hit by a car and it was still alive, well the front half was moving, i didn't even think about it, i got close and shoot it, and was very careful not to miss, the object is to be humane, not scare it to death. It was in the neighborhood, and maybe i should have handled it differently, but when the neighbor came out and saw why i fired my gun, he understood and no one called the cops.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    About 8 years ago I stopped at a deer vs car accident in Fort Wayne. We were bored so waited on the Fort Wayne police officer to show up and finish the doe off. I'm not going to mention any names so we can call him officer "Rusty" :D fired the first shot from 3 ft missed at which point the three guys and myself start snickering. 2nd shot 2 ft missed, I asked him if he would like me to do it for him, which brought on the "get back behind the car!" with lots of snickering. 3rd shot 2ft hit the does ear, now we are full on laughing our &%^% off. Finally fourth shot point blank in the head. So he proceeds to try and read us the riot act but we are to busy commenting on his marksmanship so he told us to leave.

:laugh:

Hubby had a similar situation before Marion County and IPD merged. County officer shows up, deer isn't dead but not awake. Yeah needs to be put out of it's misery. Animal Control is called so they can do it. Animal Control arrives and says they have nothing to do it with. Told officer to go ahead. Officer said he had no idea where to shoot and make it a fatal shot. Hubby says I can do it. Now here's the good part

officer pulls his handgun out of his holster and says "Here you can use my gun." Hubby was shocked but had enough presence of mind to tell him no thanks he would use his own. Pulled out his kimber and delivered the fatal shot.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    So earlier this week, while I was at work, there was a sick raccoon by my wife's car. She tried callin animal control, they don't do wildlife. She called DNR, they said call the cops. She called the Hammond PD and they told her call animal control.
    She finally told the HPD never mind, she'd shoot it herself. The dispatcher said someone would be right there.
    A patrolman showed up and agreed, there was something really seriously wrong with this raccoon, but he'd have to get permission to shoot it. A supervisor showed up and agreed, it was really sick and gave permission to shoot it. The patrolman apparently wanted to be quick draw McGaw and tried to draw and fire. He missed from 3 feet. :dunno:The second shot hit the animal, but it wasn't a fatal shot. After a couple of minutes the supervisor said to shoot it again. Again the patrolman missed from three feet. Finally the fourth shot finished off the animal.
    :D My wife was disappointed, she wanted to finally use her .380 to shoot something besides paper.
    Remember, take the time to aim your shots!
    So where was the lead from the missed shots going? I hope he wasn't bouncing them off the pavement.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I hear enough of these stories that i think the next time I'm out shooting, I'm going to try a few of these point blank shots so that hopefully I save myself any embarrassment should I be in a similar situation.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    officer pulls his handgun out of his holster and says "Here you can use my gun." Hubby was shocked but had enough presence of mind to tell him no thanks he would use his own. Pulled out his kimber and delivered the fatal shot.

Classy response. I would have given a few bucks to see the officer's expression when your husband turned down his offer.:D

OldFaithful

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Starke County
    Point Blank Shooting

I hear enough of these stories that i think the next time I'm out shooting, I'm going to try a few of these point blank shots so that hopefully I save myself any embarrassment should I be in a similar situation.

Good Idea jb!

A friend of mine is a Montana Sheriff and he taught me some helpful techniques on point blank shooting. It was harder than I thought, and turns out to be something we should definitely practice. The most important lesson I learned was this...in an emergency you will shoot in the same manner in which you practice. Made me reconsider my techniques and vary my practices.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good Idea jb!

A friend of mine is a Montana Sheriff and he taught me some helpful techniques on point blank shooting. It was harder than I thought, and turns out to be something we should definitely practice. The most important lesson I learned was this...in an emergency you will shoot in the same manner in which you practice. Made me reconsider my techniques and vary my practices.

That is a good point about the emergency as well...just never know really what range you might be engaging at. I'm sure many train and practice at multiple situations, and others are good from 7yds. But how good are we when it really counds is what really matters.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just wonder, if one accept the offer, use an officer's duty weapon with permission, for the job the very same officer approved, will that get the person in some kind of trouble?...

Classy response. I would have given a few bucks to see the officer's expression when your husband turned down his offer.:D

Top Bottom