• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well……. Parental consent is required for any medical procedure on my minor children Period full stop. Regardless of what anyone else says. FAFO!!!!!!!!!
    Tell me you didn't read this extremely short bill/enrolled act without telling me you didn't. Here is the text of it. B/I mine.
    SECTION 1. IC 16-41-39.4-10 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA
    CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS
    [EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2023]: Sec. 10. (a) The state department
    shall establish guidance and standards for health care providers
    for screening children in Indiana for lead poisoning. When
    developing the guidance and standards, the state department shall
    consult with the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    (b) The state department shall make the guidance and standards
    established under subsection (a) available on the state
    department's Internet web site.
    (c) This section expires December 31, 2026.
    SECTION 2. IC 16-41-39.4-11 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA
    CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS
    [EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2023]: Sec. 11. (a) A health care
    provider who provides health care services to a child who is less
    than six (6) years of age shall do the following:
    (1) Determine whether the child has had a blood lead
    screening test.
    (2) If the child has had a blood lead screening test, determine
    at what age the child was tested and the results of the blood
    lead screening test.
    (3) If the child has not had a blood lead screening test and is
    (A) at least nine (9) months old; and
    (B) less than seventy-two (72) months old;
    offer a lead poisoning screening in accordance with guidance
    and standards established by the state department under
    section 10 of this chapter.
    (b) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a parent
    or guardian to have their child receive a blood lead screening test.
    (c) This section expires December 31, 2026.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Back when i was actively melting down scrap lead and casting my own boolits, I had my doctor draw blood to test for lead, just in case.

The test results were normal, maybe even less lead than what is considered normal trace exposure, i don't rememeber for sure.

At the time i was trying to be reasonably careful with lead exposure. I'd wash my hands after handling lead. I'd do my smelting outside. Not eat anything while handling lead.

I didn't bother having my kids tested, since my levels were less than negligible, and my kids didn't have any exposure to my lead hobbies. My doctor agreed it wasn't needed.

Lead is bad for us, and worse for kids who are still developing. But, i personally feel the hype and worry is overblown.

If you're eating lead paint chips, that's one thing. But as long as you're practicing some common sense, casual exposure to lead is nothing to fret about.

It's just one data point, but my dad claims he should've been dead a long time ago from how much toxic metals he played with as a kid. He melted lead all the time, got his hands black from it, broke open mercury thermometers to play with the stuff in his hands, purposefully fried and burned electronics and huffed the smoke from it. I'm pretty sure he said he's chewed on lead paint too lol.

After all that, he's one of the smartest people I've known. Not book smart per se, but a fountain of common sense and knowledge. And he had me and my sister without any issues that we know of.

So i believe the risk of lead (and mercury) exposure/poisoning is overhyped. But it does deserve some common sense in it's handling.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lead isn't good for you but like many things chemical it's become a political/legal issue and money maker. People can continue to blame poor academic achievements on it in the cities even though I don't believe this ever came from kids eating dried paint. I've worked with lead chromates my entire career and also cast bullets, never had any problems. All of the yellow paint on your highways is mandated by the government to be full of lead chromate, but strangly the same government thinks that wheelweigts lost from cars are the cause of increased lead levels in the run off from roads.

Top Bottom