• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Ditto. That's lukewarm support and I expected more from Mitch. I'll have to make my mom call him and express my dissatisfaction.

When it comes to gun rights, there is a mix of politician stances.
    (a) ardent gun control supporter - there are a lot of these. Just about any national politician from a big city (Chicago, New York, LA, etc) constituency will fall in this camp.
    (b) wish the issue would go away - these guys don't want the media to blame them for the next mass shooting, but they don't want to alienate gun owners either.
    (c) committed to RKBA and really understand it - there are very few of these folks, and the higher up the political ladder you go the more rare they get.

Realistically we are never going to get an entire government full of (c)'s. There just aren't that many out there, and there are too many liberal city constituencies where a (c) simply cannot get elected.

The most effective strategies as I see them are:
    1) Support the (c)'s as strongly as possible. Let them know we are behind them. Make sure they always have a well funded campaign.
    2) Keep the pressure on the (b)'s. Always let them know that there will be a HUGE backlash if they get swept up into supporting some ludicrous gun control law, or vetoing any law that supports gun rights (I think this is pretty much what we've got right now working with Mitch).
    3) Try to defeat the (a)'s anywhere, anytime you can.

If we have a government with 20% strong antis, 75% wiffle-wafflers who haven't heard from the gun nuts this month, and 5% RKBA-ers, the antis are going to get everything they want.

If we can tip that to 10% strong antis, 80% wiffle-wafflers whose email and voice mail are ALWAYS jammed with pro-RKBA messages, and 10% strong RKBA supporters, then we will get our way.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like he is signing in order of due date. This one is up on the 21st!

<hijack>
    Have a "chopper"? Check out SEA 31 (no ape hangers)
    Have an antique car? Check out SEA 407 (you can display antique plates)
    SEA 75 Lets you restock the fridge on Sunday (Beer on Sunday)
    HOAs get a little less bite with SEA 64 (can't prohibit political signs)

</hijack over>

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Saw this on Twitter this morning:
    Daniels signs 23 bills into law | The Journal Gazette, Fort Wayne, Ind.

I can't find though if HB 1065 was among the bills he signed. The "action list" doesn't show it, but I don't know if that means it hasn't been signed or if the page hasn't been updated, or even if the governor's signature would even be put on the action list. (First time I've followed a bill through the GA this closely.)
    Indiana General Assembly - HB 1065

It is not yet signed. When it is, the second link you posted will show "Law enacted." where it now says "Signed by the President Pro Tempore", and the action list will say "Signed by the Governor". (Look at HB 1068 for reference; just change the last digit of your posted link from a 5 to an 8.)

I'm not sure what it will show if he allows it to become law without his signature.

Blessings,
    Bill

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Today it looks like. Neat. Now we can work on getting the university exception removed!

BTW, I thought the Gov's statement was a nice touch:
    :yesway:
    Governor Daniels’ statement regarding HEA 1065:
    “Considering the clear language of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and
    the even stronger language of Article 1 Section Thirty-Two of the Indiana Constitution,
    protecting these rights as provided in HEA 1065 is appropriate. I also am compelled to
    give great weight to the overwhelming consensus of both Houses of the General
    Assembly as they passed this bipartisan statute. The law does contain ambiguities that the
    General Assembly may wish to refine at some future date, to avoid unnecessary
    litigation, but the understandable concerns raised against the bill do not suffice to justify
    a trespass on a fundamental right so expressly protected by our founding documents.”

http://www.in.gov/gov/files/Press/HEA1065.pdf

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Maybe one of the ambiguities they can iron out is the exception for drug companies. People working in those places are disarmed by this bill, at the behest of their big money donor bosses.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Today it looks like. Neat. Now we can work on getting the university exception removed!

BTW, I thought the Gov's statement was a nice touch:
    :yesway:
    Governor Daniels’ statement regarding HEA 1065:
    “Considering the clear language of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and
    the even stronger language of Article 1 Section Thirty-Two of the Indiana Constitution,
    protecting these rights as provided in HEA 1065 is appropriate. I also am compelled to
    give great weight to the overwhelming consensus of both Houses of the General
    Assembly as they passed this bipartisan statute. The law does contain ambiguities that the
    General Assembly may wish to refine at some future date, to avoid unnecessary
    litigation, but the understandable concerns raised against the bill do not suffice to justify
    a trespass on a fundamental right so expressly protected by our founding documents.”

http://www.in.gov/gov/files/Press/HEA1065.pdf

Really liked that statement also. :rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just got this email:
    Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your letter and for sharing your thoughts with the Governor. He appreciates the time you took to share your views on this subject.

House Bill 1065, various provisions concerning firearms, passed the Indiana General Assembly and was signed by Governor Daniels. This bill will go into effect on July 1, 2010.

Governor Daniels statement regarding HEA 1065:
    "Considering the clear language of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and the even stronger language of Article 1 Section Thirty-Two of the Indiana Constitution, protecting these rights as provided in HEA 1065 is appropriate. I also am compelled to give great weight to the overwhelming consensus of both Houses of the General Assembly as they passed this bipartisan statute. The law does contain ambiguities that the General Assembly may wish to refine at some future date, to avoid unnecessary litigation, but the understandable concerns raised against the bill do not suffice to justify a trespass on a fundamental right so expressly protected by our founding documents."

The 2010 Bill Watch on the governor's website has been established. We will continue to update the website as bills are received and/or action is taken by the governor. You may view this webpage at Governor Daniels: 2010 Bill Watch.

Please be assured that Governor Daniels monitors all legislation very closely as it proceeds through the legislative process and thoroughly reviews all bills that are brought to him for approval or veto.

Thank you for your citizenship.

Sincerely,

Kristen Kane
    Constituent Services
    Office of the Governor

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Businesses forget that it is not about having the firearm at work. It is about the ability to protect oneself on the way to and from work. The fact that it is a guaranteed right that shall not be infringed.....

Top Bottom