• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    It never ceases to amaze me on how many I know have bought a rifle (ak, ar, etc) and just plink, no sighting in, no testing. I have a buddy who has never shot a rifle he's bought past 200, save for guns with glass, so I went to verify my zero and help him get his zeroed.

Just wondering how often we all zero our rifles, and at what distance, and method.

Here be the target at 200
    IMG_20101022_142619.jpg

Here is the distance, 200 yards, which is a bit of challenge iron sights. (Nevermind the bolt gun, this was after the iron zero verify)
    IMG_20101022_143226.jpg

I've zeroed at 50 yards at the beginning, then verified at 200, all are a mass hit, I don't expect any better out of a stock Rock River midlength.

So what's you method and where's your bragging? :ingo:

Pictures only.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had my AK for about 6 years now. At first I only shot it at 25 yards. I knew it shot left for a long time but I never bought a sight tool. Before though, I did not have a lot of money to buy ammo. So, I could not shoot it as much as I would have liked. Well, a couple of 1500's ago, I bought a sight tool and got it sighted in at 50 yards. I then replaced the lower handguard and added a broom stick. Now I can place every shot center mass at 50 yards. Next time out I'm going to try my luck at 100 yards.

Pic of my Maadi AK after mods and paint.

004-5.jpg

Pic of targets from my last range trip. I shot 70 rounds at each target at a distance of 50 yards.

102310AK4750YARDS.jpg

Not the tightest groups, but for an AK I'm pleased.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good job getting it straight, it just floors me sometimes when people drop good money and never sight them in properly.

Yeah, it is kind of pointless to have an assault style weapon, that has never been tested for accuracy and properly sighted in. What's going to happen when SHTF and you need it. Yet, you can not even hit on target. I'll admit, I took way to long to properly sight mine in.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Zero

I like to have our rifles, which are all scoped, zeroed at 50 yards for the .22lrs, 100 yards for the HMRs and WMRs, and 200 for the centerfires. We do most of our shooting at much smaller targets and distances beyond 200 so our guns are essentially bench guns. Not exactly apples-to-apples but if it won't shoot 1" at 100 yards it doesn't make the roster for our prairie dog trips. Different kind of shooting....Different tools.

The .22lrs are plinkers and usually don't make the road trips.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Where is this range?

Here is the distance, 200 yards, which is a bit of challenge iron sights. (Nevermind the bolt gun, this was after the iron zero verify)
    IMG_20101022_143226.jpg

I've zeroed at 50 yards at the beginning, then verified at 200, all are a mass hit, I don't expect any better out of a stock Rock River midlength.

So what's you method and where's your bragging? :ingo:

Pictures only.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    That range can looks horrible! Are you shooting towards the road, restrooms, and pistol range???? :n00b:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Me and my buddy Kenny did some training today (Sorry, no ninja rolls and such) but we did start the day confirming zero at 25m with both iron sights and optics and then ran out to 50, 100, and 200 meters to be sure we were hitting.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Me and my buddy Kenny did some training today (Sorry, no ninja rolls and such) but we did start the day confirming zero at 25m with both iron sights and optics and then ran out to 50, 100, and 200 meters to be sure we were hitting.

Except for the 50, that is exactly what I do. Well, I also throw a (mall) ninja roll or two in for good measure.:D;)

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    The first thing I do with any new firearm is function test it. Next is check and adjust its "zero" for my eyes and the ammo I have. With fixed sights, this can sometimes be an involved process, but I want to know that each and every one of my modest accumulation is "good-to-go" whenever I need it or want it to. After that, putting them where they need to go is all up to me.

sxshep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I've tried zero-ing my scopes on my .22 a few times... and each time (the past three at least), I get it zero-ed only to decide after the range trip that I want a better scope :):

Top Bottom