Have You Seen This: 15 Year in Prison for Taping Police?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I saw this article, and it really puts a shock into you. If you are ever in a situation with some rouge police (Like that in Ohio) a recording might be your only hope. However, if recording laws become even more strict against citizens on the public streets, what chance do you have to defend yourself?

Take a look at this article--> 15 Years for Taping Cops? How Eavesdropping Laws are Taking Away Our Best Defense Against Police Brutality

Now, I am a huge supporter of law enforcement, but the fact is they are also in a position to abuse power, and video has become the great equalizer. While we sit and fight to protect our 2nd Amendment, we must also keep our eyes open for other rights that are being stolen from us as well.

I have not done a great deal of research on this topic yet to verify everything is accurate, but regardless, it gives us something very powerful to think about!!!!!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I saw this article, and it really puts a shock into you. If you are ever in a situation with some rouge police (Like that in Ohio) a recording might be your only hope. However, if recording laws become even more strict against citizens on the public streets, what chance do you have to defend yourself?

Take a look at this article--> 15 Years for Taping Cops? How Eavesdropping Laws are Taking Away Our Best Defense Against Police Brutality

Now, I am a huge supporter of law enforcement, but the fact is they are also in a position to abuse power, and video has become the great equalizer. While we sit and fight to protect our 2nd Amendment, we must also keep our eyes open for other rights that are being stolen from us as well.

I have not done a great deal of research on this topic yet to verify everything is accurate, but regardless, it gives us something very powerful to think about!!!!!

Interesting article! The good news: the last time I checked, Indiana law says that is totally legal to record any conversatrion as long as ONE party knows that it's being recorded.

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Interesting article! The good news: the last time I checked, Indiana law says that is totally legal to record any conversatrion as long as ONE party knows that it's being recorded.

I am almost positive you are correct. We live in a really amazing state, but still need to watch the trends across the country and make sure to protect ourselves.

My current career path might have me moving to California soon, and that scares the hell out of me!!!!!!!!!

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Did you read the part about how "The Peoples Republic of Illinois" have rewrote there wiretapping laws so it is illegal to video tape police officers? Why does this not surprise me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make a shortcut on my iPhone to start voice recording... like double-tapping the sleep button to make it start or something, so I can discretely begin recording if I'm being approached/pulled over, etc

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't understand Illinois. I mean, we have unfortunately come to expect certain things from the coasts, but to have a state that is actually taking away this many freedoms in the heartland is mind blowing to me...and how they appear to stay off the radar when compared to a California or Massachusetts doesn't make sense either.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

Sad thing is, in Illinois they can charge you with a felony for recording your interaction with cops. So, along with your other rights, your 2nd Am rights are out the window, as well.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Whichever scumbag (from each respective state) that introduced such legislation should be tarred and feathered.

How overtly evil is that? No video of police officers. No doubt pushed as a safety thing - but in my wild imagination, I can't fathom how it has ever created an actual safety hazard.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Interesting article! The good news: the last time I checked, Indiana law says that is totally legal to record any conversation as long as ONE party knows that it's being recorded.

I am almost positive you are correct. We live in a really amazing state, but still need to watch the trends across the country and make sure to protect ourselves. SNIP

Take what TFT says as the gospel truth, after all his previous handle was "Gun Lawyer":D

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have an iPhone. I just put on the recorder app on and then lock the phone. When I need it I just slid the the bar to unlock it and hit the record button.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    So let me get this straight. In Indiana, it is legal to record a convo as long as one party (the recorder) knows it is there? What about videotaping police brutality? Like myself videotaping a police officer abusing and harassing someone without merit? Is that legal in Indiana?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So let me get this straight. In Indiana, it is legal to record a convo as long as one party (the recorder) knows it is there? What about videotaping police brutality? Like myself videotaping a police officer abusing and harassing someone without merit? Is that legal in Indiana?

It's legal in Colorado, too, but that doesn't stop them from beating your ***, smashing your camera, and charging you with resisting. Luckily in two of those incidents there was another tape that came out after the lies had all been told.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's legal in Colorado, too, but that doesn't stop them from beating your ***, smashing your camera, and charging you with resisting. Luckily in two of those incidents there was another tape that came out after the lies had all been told.

That is inconvenient.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Guy, that raises a question: If you are not the one being harassed and you're not the cop, how does this meet the "one party knows" standard? Or is there another provision that covers this?

OK, two questions... but still, I'm curious. Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Guy, that raises a question: If you are not the one being harassed and you're not the cop, how does this meet the "one party knows" standard? Or is there another provision that covers this?

OK, two questions... but still, I'm curious. Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill, I believe the IC Guy is referring to is for intercepting electronic communication.

IC 35-33.5-1-5
    "Interception" defined
    Sec. 5. "Interception" means the intentional recording or acquisition of the contents of an electronic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver of that communication, without the consent of the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device, or equipment under this article. This term includes the intentional recording or acquisition of communication through the use of a computer or a FAX (facsimile transmission) machine. The term does not include recording or acquiring the contents of a radio transmission that is not:
    (1) scrambled or encrypted;
    (2) transmitted using modulation techniques whose essential parameters have been withheld from the public with the intention of preserving the privacy of the communication;
    (3) carried on a subcarrier or other signal subsidiary to a radio transmission;
    (4) transmitted over a communication system provided by a common carrier, unless the communication is a tone only paging system communication; or
    (5) transmitted on frequencies allocated under part 25, subpart D, E, or F of part 74, or part 94 of the Rules of the Federal Communications Commission, unless, in the case of a communication transmitted on a frequency allocated under part 74 that is not exclusively allocated to broadcast auxiliary services, the communication is a two-way voice communication by radio.
    As added by P.L.161-1990, SEC.3. Amended by P.L.105-2007, SEC.4.
    Indiana Code 35-33.5-1

The only other things in IC that I can find about recording, is that it's unlawful to record a movie in a theater.
    Indiana Code 35-46-8

And as an enhancement to voyeur charges.
    IC 35-45-4-5

Oh and it's illlegal to record an obscene performance.IC 35-49-3-2
    Obscene performance
    Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally engages in, participates in, manages, produces, sponsors, presents, exhibits, photographs, films, or videotapes any obscene performance commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the obscene performance depicts or describes sexual conduct involving any person who is or appears to be under sixteen (16) years of age.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.33.

I'm pretty sure recording in public is legal, unless your violating one of the statutes above.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Did you read the part about how "The Peoples Republic of Illinois" have rewrote there wiretapping laws so it is illegal to video tape police officers? Why does this not surprise me.

Makes it easier for them to control their citizens/sheeple in their police state.

Top Bottom