Have you ever bought a gun just so you could reload for it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I recently bought some miscellaneous reloading supplies from a friend that decided to stop reloading. In the mixture of brass there were about 150-200 cases of 44 mag. At first I didn't think much of it and separated them in a bag and stored them away. I don't own anything in 44 mag.
    It took about a month before I had the thought, "I should buy something in 44 mag." So the first snow storm came up and I was rearranging some more and I noticed my first shotgun I purchased, a 410 NEF single shot. I started thinking about how I would never sell it but I never, I mean never shoot it. I randomly thought of the "Barrel accessory program" H&R has. I wondered if it would be possible to buy a barrel in 44 mag for the 'ole 410. One thing led to another and I now have a 44 mag and 357 barrel being fit to it right now. I don't have the barrels or receiver back yet, but I'm sitting back getting anxious to shoot my old shot gun! Nothing fancy about it, even had a few little spots of surface rust on the receiver from when I didn't store it properly. I'm anxious to try some loads out for the barrels just about the same as shooting it in general.

Just curious if anyone else has every had anything else happen like that.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Not in the last couple of months, no. :laugh:

Let's see, there was the .218 Bee, .219 Donaldson Wasp, a .225 Winchester, .257 Roberts, 7x57 Mauser, 32-20...

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I do it all the time. It is a big reason I will always have T/C Encores and Contenders. My next barrel is going to be a 260 Remington Rimmed based off of a 307 Winchester case.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I do it all the time. It is a big reason I will always have T/C Encores and Contenders. My next barrel is going to be a 260 Remington Rimmed based off of a 307 Winchester case.

I can understand a little better about the T/C Encores and Contenders now. If you get an itch to try something new you're only a barrel away. Beats buying a complete rifle or handgun in some applications I suppose.

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    No, but I have guns because I already reload in that caliber.

I do this but for some reason I've really wanted some oddball wildcat to reload for. I'm not sure why. Something like 357/44 B&D, 6-284, 22 middlestead, or something else equally ludicrous.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't reload yet, but I do have a single-shot pistol that I have almost 1000 rounds of factory ammo for, and no other firearm to fire it in.
    I'll have a good supply of once-fired brass, one of these days.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do this but for some reason I've really wanted some oddball wildcat to reload for. I'm not sure why. Something like 357/44 B&D, 6-284, 22 middlestead, or something else equally ludicrous.

I've read that reloading the 7.62x38R for the M1895 revolver is a real bi...bear.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    No, but I've bought a pile I knew I'd have to make my own if I ever wanted to shoot them much....<br>

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I bought a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 because I got the bug to cast my own bullets and load for it. My rationale was that at some point I would go hog hunting with it... :dunno:

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A few years ago I mistakenly bought a pound of H110 powder thinking it was the same as VV110 powder, intended for a smokeless muzzleloader. Realizing my mistake, I had a pound of powder and no gun appropriate for it (bigbore magnum handgun). I used this as an excuse to buy a Taurus Titanium 41Mag for a sidearm hunting in griz country.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    When I buy a new caliber firearm I always buy a set of reloading dies for it. I now load for about 14 different calibers. I work on a range so brass for personal use is not a problem.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I was a young-in, my dad had two Mausers, both with destroyed barrels. One he had sporterized into a beautiful rifle (professional work too, not "hey look, I cut the stock back and painted it" lol). The other, he had a heavy barrel profiled to match the military pattern, sights reinstalled, reparked and thankfully, even had the sights moderated by filing and welding to match the round we had it chambered in.

The caliber? The only caliber'ed barrel in stock at the time (and due to my dad's impatience in waiting for a different caliber): .257 Roberts. That caliber... I don't know why it didn't beat out .243. I loved it, loved handloading for it even.

I loved one old guy's face at the range: We were shooting long distance (Ohio conservation club near Toledo), 300 yards, with the sporterized and scoped Mauser. Guy ambles up, he and Dad begin talking about it, the weather, etc... Old guy nearly has a heart attack when I roll over, grab the military Mauser and proceed to chamber a .257 Roberts round into it (thinking that it was still 8mm Mauser). Dad explains the situation to him and that lead to my dad meeting a new friend of over 10 years now. :)

Top Bottom