Have/Had lifetime permit, now I moved...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You have to be a resident or have a business/employment in the state to be eligible for a permission slip.

IC-35-47-2-3
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

Now, that covers application only, but I understand that to mean a person must be a resident, or have a business in Indiana, or be employed in Indiana.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You have to be a resident or have a business/employment in the state to be eligible for a permission slip.

IC-35-47-2-3
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

Now, that covers application only, but I understand that to mean a person must be a resident, or have a business in Indiana, or be employed in Indiana.

Right. But as others have said, show the statute that revokes the license after you move/quit. There is no "exit clause" so to speak. As ATM pointed out, it appears the legislators simply missed that point.

Now I bet one thing that might happen in some states in regards to reciprocity; if the reciprocating state's verbiage states that the license holder must hold a resident permit, once you move you lose that reciprocity.

While it appears by all outward appearances that the LTCH would still be valid after a move, I wouldnt want to be the test case when it was questioned.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Right. But as others have said, show the statute that revokes the license after you move/quit. There is no "exit clause" so to speak. As ATM pointed out, it appears the legislators simply missed that point.

Now I bet one thing that might happen in some states in regards to reciprocity; if the reciprocating state's verbiage states that the license holder must hold a resident permit, once you move you lose that reciprocity.

While it appears by all outward appearances that the LTCH would still be valid after a move, I wouldnt want to be the test case when it was questioned.
    Yeah I hear ya, and I agree on not being the test case.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I fired off an e-mail to state police with the question. Will update when I get a response. Either way maybe we will all know which is correct. This is what I love about this place great learning and debate.

See below. Notice they don't say that it is invalid just that IL doesn't recognize the IN LTCH.

Here was the response I got from the Indiana State Police. FYI.

"You will need to update the address on your handgun carry permit by going to the following site:
    https://firearms.ariesportal.com/

However, Illinois does not recognize Indiana’s handgun carry permit. Basically they recognize their own and that is it.

Indiana State Police"

Also I pointed out a thread earlier today that someone else had emailed them. Here is their response.
    Subject: RE: Lifetime LTCH and moving out of state

Mr. Siegel,

You must change your address. Attached is the form for requesting an address change and/duplicate license. I am not sure who you may have spoken to in 2008 however you are correct that lifetime permits continue to be valid if you move. However, do check to make sure that your current state recognizes the Indiana permit even though you are their resident.

Indiana State Police

It was in this thread post 30.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state.html

Heavy assumption thinking the ISP will know....

This is one thing I sorta trust asking them about. Considering the ISP are the ones who are responsible for issuing/revoking/suspending/etc the LTCH

Agreed. Why people turn to the police for legal advice is beyond me. I don't turn to my auto mechanic for advice on how to shingle my roof.
    See above.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    how can Indiana have power to issue you a ltch handgun if you are not under their purvey as a resident...i believe that it is invalid/inactive until i move back from the armpit of florida..though i acknowledge that there is some ambiguity....the information available is about getting a license but does not really address if you have a license already...i just question how indiana can negotiate on my behalf for reciprocity of other states if I not under their authority as a resident

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    so i live in florida...i have a lifetime ltch but my research says i cannot carry unless i have a valid ltch as a resident of the state of indiana...

That's a Florida requirement for recognition within the state of Florida.

how can Indiana have power to issue you a ltch handgun if you are not under their purvey as a resident

Many states issue permits/licenses to non-residents, but this has nothing to do with Indiana's requirements for issue.

...i believe that it is invalid/inactive until i move back from the armpit of florida

You are free to believe it, but there is nothing in the IC making it so.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    so i live in florida...i have a lifetime ltch but my research says i cannot carry unless i have a valid ltch as a resident of the state of indiana...

Actually if you live in F as in Fl resident I believe you have to have a FL permit, same as me being a resident of IN I have to have a LTCH a UT or FL permit will not work. Or as in the OP's case, IL doesn't really except any other states licenses except for car carry and I still think he would have to have a FOID and IL permit to be legal.

Many states issue permits/licenses to non-residents, but this has nothing to do with Indiana's requirements for issue.

Yep including FL.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I conclude after some research that my indiana ltch is valid in indiana and in states that honor a non resident license to carry but it is not valid in florida because reciprocity with florida excludes non residents ltch/ccw holders (i am resident of florida with a lifetime ltch)

in my opinion you are correct that my ltch is valid and active.it is valid and active but it does not allow me to carry in florida because the reciprocity agreement provision applies to residents of indiana for florida...i can carry indiana though from what i understand or other states that honor a non resident permit...

According to florida 1,3, &5 apply below for indiana

1. While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealedfashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY; NOTWEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types ofweapons in these states.
    2. The State of VERMONT does not issue concealed weapon licenses, nor is such a licenserequired in order to carry a concealed firearm in VERMONT. This presents a problem forreciprocity with Florida. However, Section 790.015(1)(b), Florida Statutes, specifies an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealedweapon or firearm issued by that person's state of residence. Therefore, VERMONT residentscannot carry a concealed firearm in FLORIDA.
    3. Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years ofage. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or olderIS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.
    4. These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the license holder is alegal resident of the State of Florida.
    5. These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents.These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

That's a Florida requirement for recognition within the state of Florida.

You are free to believe it, but there is nothing in the IC making it so.

Top Bottom