• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    A HUGE :yesway: :yesway: to John Benner and Tactical Defense Institute. (Tactical Defense Institute -- Firearms - Gun - Rifle - Shotgun - Pistol - Training In Southern Ohio)

Mr. Benner was the most down to earth instructor I've ever had for anything. He found new ways to explain things to make sure everyone understood. He taught to all the different ways of learning. Visual, Auditory, and most important in my opinion, Hands On.

To critique myself a little, if you looked at my targets it looks like I'm a decent shot. It is ugly as SIN to watch me do it but the end result was good. John taught me techniques I would have never thought of and explained some of the classic techniques in new ways that I could understand. Now I look as practiced and skilled shooting as my targets reflected. My skills and confidence in my shooting ability improved 10 fold after taking his Handgun I and II class this past weekend. I was so impressed by his genuine interest in making sure everyone understood and learned everything they could soak up, I've already made up my mind to sign up for a 3 day weekend for handgun I-III and this time take my wife. Only thing I'm waiting on is gathering enough ammo.

The techniques are easy to learn and yield immediate results making you want to switch from whatever it was you were doing to what he's teaching. Or maybe just slightly adapt an already proven technique to make it better. No matter what skill level you may have or think you have I would guarantee he could improve your skill. Check out their website. His credentials to be an instructor are hard earned and highly regarded. He is a great combination of 1. Someone who knows what they are doing and 2. Someone who can teach and 3. Wants you to learn. Often times we find people who are an outstanding at one and lacking at the others.

John Benner's TDI handgun classes are outstanding and FULLY EARNED my endorsement. I don't easily endorse anything.
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    To put your review into perspective, what formal firearms training have you had previously? Also, can you provide some more specific details about what was taught (or what you learned) and what you found useful about it?

Thx.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    To put your review into perspective, what formal firearms training have you had previously? Also, can you provide some more specific details about what was taught (or what you learned) and what you found useful about it?

Thx.

My sources of training to compare it too are rather limited. I've taken the 1 day michigan CCW class which is more safety and legal oriented. So that doesn't really count. I've taken a semester of firearms training through the criminal justice program at Ferris State University in Michigan. I was an electrical engineering major but applied for department approval to take CRIM 356 Firearms and was allowed to take the class. They had adjunct instructors with all kinds of firearms and training backgrounds come in and instruct. Then I have what everyone has which is instruction from anyone and everyone who thinks they're doing it better than you which could be anywhere from as wrong as it comes to perfect. I am looking into taking another course also through Boone County Sheriffs Dept. After taking John's class at TDI I know I could absorb more by taking them again so I probably will but my endorsement doesn't rule out anyone else's instruction. I'm always looking for different viewpoints and ways to look at things.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My sources of training to compare it too are rather limited.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not bagging on you personally, but saying "this class is the greatest thing since sliced bread" doesn't mean a whole lot if it's the only class you've ever taken.

I am looking into taking another course also through Boone County Sheriffs Dept.

Sheriff Ken's courses are excellent, and he hosts all manner of guest instructors (Pat Rogers, Louis Awerbuck, Randy Cain, Bill Jeans, etc etc) in the summer as well. Lebanon also has the advantage of being way closer than no-damn-where Ohio. ;) I like taking classes @ BCSD because I can get up "late" and still be at the range on time, and get to sleep in my own bed at night instead of having to shell out for a hotel room.

You might also check out the Combative Pistol course that Mercop is doing at the Eagle Creek Pistol Range in October. There's an announcement somewhere in this very subforum.

I'm glad your experience at TDI was a positive one and I'm interested in hearing more about the class itself, but there are also lots of top-shelf training opportunities closer to home.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I knew what you were getting at as soon as I read your post and took no offense. I understand and agree with what you are saying. The best of the best at anything usually take the best bits and pieces from everyone else and put them all together in their own package. Thanks for the insight into Sheriff Campbells courses. The only thing keeping me from taking all the training I can get is the shortage of free time and ammo. Mostly the ammo shortage because I can create free time can't create ammo.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I can create free time can't create ammo.

xl650.jpg

:D

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    whatever gun you're most comfortable with but suggest safe action / dao over single action.
    ex glock, xd, m&p, kahr.
    The simpler the gun the better in my opinion I took the class using the pistol i will be carrying most the time my Kahr PM9 and shot 500+ rounds both days.
    The guys shooting 1911's seemed to all have issues with switching the safety on and off all the time.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The simpler the gun the better in my opinion I took the class using the pistol i will be carrying most the time my Kahr PM9

Props to you for shooting the class with what you carry every day, and mad props because it's a little gun! Lots of guys would carry the PM, but shoot the class with a long-barreled or hi-cap something so as not to "look bad." That can be counterproductive.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I too have had excellence experiences at TDI. My wife and I started going to TDI in 2005 when she wanted to learn how to shoot her G19. I thought it would be best if someone else taught her, I was right. We went to the handgun 1-3 class and have not looked back, so to speak. We both learned the mindset and skills to be a responsible gunner. I have since be to TDI numerous other times. I have over 130 hrs of handgun training, 32 hrs shotgun, 32 hrs knife, 32 hrs hand to hand all with John. I feel that I have found a system that works for us. My wife has taken handgun, hand to hand and knife also. All of what John teaches stacks on top of one another. It is a total self defense system.
    Now I must say that I have not trained with any other big names. The way I see it is why? I know for certainty the quility of training and that it builds on what already know.
    I also know that if I did go to another school there is a chance to pick up a few new tool for the old toolbox. Problem for me is, when and how do I integrate those new tools into my training in preparation for that one time I need them?
    The way I see it is to train in one "discipline" if you will, so not to dilute any learned actions.
    I was told once that in order to be "training" one must train after the class is over or the time spent was just entertainment.
    TDI, John and all instructors are all top class. This just my opinion.

Top Bottom