• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Lincoln’s decision to fight rather than to let the Southern states secede was not based on his feelings towards slavery. Rather, he felt it was his sacred duty as President of the United States to preserve the Union at all costs. His first inaugural address was an appeal to the rebellious states, seven of which had already seceded, to rejoin the nation. His first draft of the speech ended with an ominous message: "Shall it be peace, or the sword?" "
    I've read Lincoln's memoirs too. Lincoln's first priority was preserving the Union. His next priority was ending slavery. But, it wasn't all Lincoln. Every person who took a role in the civil war on either side had their reasons. They weren't all the same ones.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a government employee (who is not going to apologize for having the day off - sorry, not sorry), I'd say that the population of government employees is at least as diverse as the general population, or if anything, blacks and other minorities are probably represented at greater than the percentage of the general population. As are people with disabilities. Now I realize I only have a sampling of some 5,000 employees (just at my facility) to go by, but I'll stand by my assertion.

Did I hear it reported correctly on WIBC today that govt employees have just short of nine weeks of paid holidays in a calendar year?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Did I hear it reported correctly on WIBC today that govt employees have just short of nine weeks of paid holidays in a calendar year?
    Does that sound right to you?

Do you actually believe that government employees get NINE ****ING WEEKS of paid holidays off per calendar year?

yeah.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does that sound right to you?

Do you actually believe that government employees get NINE ****ING WEEKS of paid holidays off per calendar year?

View attachment 144545
    Nonsense. Next thing you'll tell me is they are on average paid above market compared to the rest of us?

(I dont know this, but I wouldnt be surprised)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, no. Not even close. I think we have 11 (maybe now 12) paid holidays. I mean think about it. That would be 45 holidays (based on a 5 day work week).

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Paid holidays? No. Paid leave, which includes sick days, vacation, and paid holidays? Yeah, I could believe that.
    If you're the highest leave group for annual leave (208 hours/year), used all 104 hours/year of sick leave, and 11 Federal holidays (88 hours), that is 400 hours.

Annual leave I can carry 240 hours over (and I have since 2010). Sick leave stays forever, I have over 1,200 hours of sick leave on the books.

Theoretically that is 10 weeks, but it ain't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you're the highest leave group for annual leave (208 hours/year), used all 104 hours/year of sick leave, and 11 Federal holidays (88 hours), that is 400 hours.

Annual leave I can carry 240 hours over (and I have since 2010). Sick leave stays forever, I have over 1,200 hours of sick leave on the books.

Theoretically that is 10 weeks, but it ain't.
    I'm always amused when the very first LES of the year already lists how many "use or lose" hours I have.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I work for the local government, not Federal.
    Yes by comparison to many in the private employment sector, we get a lot of time off. However, our pay isn't quite what many in the private sector get paid for comparable jobs. Most of us aren't getting rich and frankly just look at job postings, the requirements vs what the pay rate is and you will see this is true.

They added Juneteenth as a paid holiday this year and additionally they added Indigenous People's day as a paid holiday. It has been kind of eye opening how many had no idea what Juneteenth represents (all races). Also surprising are the number who think it's ridiculous to get Indigenous peoples day off. Those decisions are out of my pay grade. Over the years I have seen holidays added and holidays taken away.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I work for the local government, not Federal.
    Yes by comparison to many in the private employment sector, we get a lot of time off. However, our pay isn't quite what many in the private sector get paid for comparable jobs. Most of us aren't getting rich and frankly just look at job postings, the requirements vs what the pay rate is and you will see this is true.

They added Juneteenth as a paid holiday this year and additionally they added Indigenous People's day as a paid holiday. It has been kind of eye opening how many had no idea what Juneteenth represents (all races). Also surprising are the number who think it's ridiculous to get Indigenous peoples day off. Those decisions are out of my pay grade. Over the years I have seen holidays added and holidays taken away.
    Isn't Indigenous People's day what they proposed renaming Columbus Day to?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think so. Both are in October, but that's another holiday we haven't had off for the last 20 years at least
    We (Federal) have always gotten Columbus Day off. I didn't know they'd officially renamed it to Indigenous People day. We didn't get an additional day off in October though. In fact, the thing I posted earlier (post #88) was from the Office of Payroll Management's official website. They still have it listed as Columbus Day.

Top Bottom