• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Oh, this should be fun. And IMPD Assistant Chief Chris Bailey appears to be... ignorant, at best?

FTA:

Prior to July 2022, an LTCH was not required to purchase a firearm. So, that "bureaucracy" never "existed before" when people "[went] out and [bought] weapons." (Also, as pointed out in the article and by Hawkeye: the data actually show a downward trend in accidental shootings. (That said, given how low the absolute numbers are, I'm guessing there's actually no statistical significance in any of them, either in terms of year-over-year trends or in terms of impact of permitless carry on the change in numbers.)

It's like Bailey completely forgot about - or perhaps, merely ignored? - the Pinner decision. IMPD hasn't had that "tool" (i.e. proper-person/LTCH/gun checks) since 2017.

Bailey isn't a "gun guy"? Color me surprised. Also, Indiana didn't require training prior to permitless carry, so whatever point he's trying to make here is utterly irrelevant.

ISP Superintendent Doug Carter got into the fun, too!

It's like Carter also completely forgot about - or perhaps, merely ignored? - the Pinner decision. IMPD hasn't had that "opportunity[] to engage [those that are already illegally possessing weapons]" (i.e. proper-person/LTCH/gun checks) since 2017.

Also, that Carter thinks LEOs even need such an opportunity belies the complete ineffectiveness of the LTCH requirement to prevent violent criminals from possessing/using firearms in the first place. Maybe he should instead ask Mears why he keeps letting said violent criminals back out on the street, where they can cause harm to law-abiding people while unlawfully possessing firearms?

Once again: Pinner has entered the chat. Permitless carry had precisely zero impact on legitimate/lawful LEO enforcement.

Next up, a retired-LEO "criminologist", Tom Stucky:

It's like Stucky also completely forgot about - or perhaps, merely ignored? - the Pinner decision. Indiana LEO haven't had that "ability" (i.e. proper-person/LTCH/gun checks) since 2017.

As for the latter claim: [Citation Needed]

Stucky goes on to make a rather dubious claim:

John Lott would like a word.

Going on:

(I'm not sure I would take legal advice from LEO/former LEO who have a clear bias against permitless carry. Indiana is not a required-notification state. Keep your hands visible and your trap shut.)

Permitless carry has zero to do with firearm storage. An LTCH was not previously required to store firearms. So, nothing has changed there.

Also: our behavior will shape the law's future? Say what, now? The law is the law. Licenses being required to exercise the constitutionally protected right to bear arms are on their way to the dustbin of history, nationally.
    I wonder if @ESSEX would be interested in embarrassing the local competition with some actual facts and journalism?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Is it just me or do their statements just scream 'professional laziness'. For God sake, just get a neon sign flashing- 'Professional Laziness' over your head. Sheesh. :dunno: :coffee:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How many of the accidental shooting incidents: happened inside the home? On the property of the owner/renter? On property where the gun owner was authorized to possess a firearm without a LTCH? How many were rifles/shotguns/non-modern handguns/pre-1 Jan 1899 handguns?

Now, let's analyze THOSE numbers.

Also, in 2020 there were 8.4M new gun owners (NSSF estimate.) This was driven (early in the year) by people seeing how others acted when there was no toilet paper. (Later in the year) there were "fiery but mostly peaceful" riots all over the country.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Is it just me or do their statements just scream 'professional laziness'. For God sake, just get a neon sign flashing- 'Professional Laziness' over your head. Sheesh. :dunno: :coffee:
    Ahh the local news idiots. They quit trying years ago... most are spread so thin its silly.

You and I can dig into most stories and figure out what is really going on in 2 minutes, but they mostly don't care.. they want edgy interviews and garbage they can throw at the screen.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Ahh the local news idiots. They quit trying years ago... most are spread so thin its silly.

You and I can dig into most stories and figure out what is really going on in 2 minutes, but they mostly don't care.. they want edgy interviews and garbage they can throw at the screen.
    News idiots too... I was referring to Sup. Doug Carter and his IMPD buddy Chris Bailey. It is 'professional laziness' because they will have to 'work' now.

Top Bottom