• ...and so much more!
  • bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Hello,

I need help with gun law.
    My hand gun license expires in one month.
    I've been told by the police department today that Indiana is taking 4 months to renew licenses and that I will have to go unprotected for a long time.
    I applied to a 3rd party fingerprinting company (L1 Identity Solutions) which they recommended and that will shorten it to 2 months.
    This is the equivalent of a gun ban by paperwork.
    I need to protect myself for 1-3 months without a license.
    Indiana gun law allows for the transport of a gun to work as long as it is in a locked case.
    My brother got pulled over and had a gun but no license and was told by the court that if he had had it in a locked case there would have been no big deal.

I went to my gun store to get a locked case, told one man my dilemma, and he laid down a bunch of “facts” that caused a lot of confusion. He claimed I can't take my gun out of my home at all except for repair or to sell. He claimed I couldn't even take it to a gun range without being arrested.

I also drive to Kentucky to work. Kentucky has open carry. I had planned on leaving the gun in the open after crossing the bridge. He claimed that Kentucky law doesn't apply to me because I am an Indiana resident (even though there is reciprocity) and thus open carry isn't legal for me and I'd be arrested based on Indiana laws.

There is nothing worse than someone with an opinion, or worse yet someone who thinks they know the law but doesn't. He claimed to get his facts from an FGR (Federal Gun Regulations book).

Can you help me clear up some of this? How do I defend myself from criminals?
    P.S. I own rifles also. I don't know much about transporting a rifle. I do take them to the gun range a lot and had planned on hunting squirrels.

Here is a copy of Indiana gun law which allows possesion of a gun in your vehicle if secured from www.in.gov/isp:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b)
    Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3)
    the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5)
    the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range
    (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Is it me or are these laws vague? Carry at a shooting range is ok but what about transporting to the shooting range? Will I be arrested?

All help appreciated.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is the equivalent of a gun ban by paperwork.
    Or because you waited too long. Is there a limit to when you can reapply? You did go for a lifetime license, right?

EDIT: TV may be right and your renewal will serve as a temp license.
    I went to my gun store to get a locked case, told one man my [STRIKE]dilemma[/STRIKE] predicament, and he laid down a bunch of “facts” that caused a lot of confusion. He claimed I can't take my gun out of my home at all except for repair or to sell. He claimed I couldn't even take it to a gun range without being arrested.
    He's ignorant of changes to the law. That's sad. :(
    (and a dilemma means you have to make a choice -you're in a predicament.)
    I also drive to Kentucky to work. Kentucky has open carry. I had planned on leaving the gun in the open after crossing the bridge. He claimed that Kentucky law doesn't apply to me because I am an Indiana resident (even though there is reciprocity) and thus open carry isn't legal for me and I'd be arrested based on Indiana laws.
    Fail x2
    There is nothing worse than someone with an opinion, or worse yet someone who thinks they know the law but doesn't. He claimed to get his facts from an FGR (Federal Gun Regulations book).
    What's a FGR? Never heard of it and I have a FFL03.
    EDIT: Did he mean this: http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Essential-References-ebook/dp/B0046A9SG2
    Can you help me clear up some of this? How do I defend myself from criminals?
    P.S. I own rifles also. I don't know much about transporting a rifle. I do take them to the gun range a lot and had planned on hunting squirrels.
    Rifles are OK, loaded or not. Handgun must be unloaded, cased, inaccessible while in Indiana (the law changed recently in our favor). While in KY, you follow their laws - if O.C. is OK, then go for it.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Kentucky laws apply to all persons in the State of Kentucky. Indiana laws apply to all persons in the State of Indiana. You cannot apply one state's laws to a person in another state. If you carry in Kentucky, you follow their laws, i.e. OC is fine, CC must have a CCW permit or reciprocal license/permit/etc. Thats what we call the sovereignty of the states, and why you can't be arrested in Indiana for having a firearm that isn't registered with the State of Illinois.

bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Four years ago I got my license after a 6 week wait. I had no idea they could be so blazen as to take 4 months. What am I supposed to do? Reapply a year ahead of time?
    :-P

Yes, I am getting the lifetime license this time. I am through with this crap.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    When I did mine a few years back they had a backlog. The ISP Firearms Office told me as long as I had me expired LTCH and renewal app I was good to go until my new one came in.

bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Kentucky laws apply to all persons in the State of Kentucky. Indiana laws apply to all persons in the State of Indiana. You cannot apply one state's laws to a person in another state. If you carry in Kentucky, you follow their laws, i.e. OC is fine, CC must have a CCW permit or reciprocal license/permit/etc. Thats what we call the sovereignty of the states, and why you can't be arrested in Indiana for having a firearm that isn't registered with the State of Illinois.

ok, so I drive to work in kentucky and leave my gun in the car. How does open carry apply? Do I have to leave it laying out in the open visible to passersby?

bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    When I did mine a few years back they had a backlog. The ISP Firearms Office told me as long as I had me expired LTCH and renewal app I was good to go until my new one came in.

Thats comforting/
    I don't mind taking people serious when they warn me about gun laws, but this gun store employees statements were over the top.

bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I got this from opencarry.org about kentucky open carry:

Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle either in plain view OR in a glove box.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    HOLY CRAP DID YOU JUST SAY PERMIT? Oh my goodness gracious!! The sky is falling!! Calling the "license"a permit is like dividing by zero! Add purple where necessary.

Thank you to everyone else for not bringing the aforementioned topic to light!

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    My daughter applied online for her License last year. She also did her fingerprints through
    L-1. I believe she had her License back in about 10 days.

bash64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Going to the clark county range tomorrow.
    Gonna shoot my ak74, cz52, and cz82.

:ar15:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Here's the code on renewals.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.

Not sure what that means for anyone that files 32 days out. Your license is no longer valid as of the expiration?

OP, you should be fine with L1.

... and you are free to transport your handguns in your vehicle if your license were to lapse so long as they are unloaded, encased and not readily accessible.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    HOLY CRAP DID YOU JUST SAY PERMIT? Oh my goodness gracious!! The sky is falling!! Calling the "license"a permit is like dividing by zero! Add purple where necessary.

Thank you to everyone else for not bringing the aforementioned topic to light!

It took every bit of will power not to say anything. ;)

Top Bottom