• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I just talked to Frank Jones at Mech-Tech Systems Inc. and I told him what our concerns were about the legality of the CCU and he said that 8 years ago when they first designed and tested the CCU they talked at length with the BATFE and got their blessing on the project before they ever even thought of going into production and that they have had no problems of any kind concerning owners of their product. But you MUST check your local state regulations (California for example) but that he knows of no other states that prohibit it in any way.

He also said that he would have a Mr. Ray Harriet email me back with chapter and verse of the BATFE decision so that I can post it on the internet (here).

I still have not heard back from the NRA yet but hope too soon. Dan.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    A previous BATFE letter or decision can be reversed or changed at will by the BATFE, so with the more recent letter coming from the UZI conversion, I'd put more weight on that. I'm interested in what they email you back though and what the NRA will say about it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The sticking point, and I think one side may be inadvertantly talking past the other, is that none disputes the legality of putting the Mech-Tech on, it's taking if off and returning to a pistol configuration after having been a rifle. The Mech-Tech is not regulated as a firearm itself is not disputed, but the result of it's installation on a frame may be.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The previous posted BATFE letter about the UZI is incorrect, however, that is the interpretation that they chose that day.

Fact: The Thompson case sets precedent in this matter, period, any lawyer worth their salt could defend this.

Keep your guns in legal configs, OK, and you will have nothing to worry about.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guy's and Girl's;

I am getting very impatient with the NRA and the BATFE on this matter because I have not heard back from them. Maybe I just expect too much too soon so I went down to my local dealer at Beech Grove Firearms. Greg is a Class lll dealer and sells machine guns, siliencers and you name it. He is also a Police Officer and has some Police Officers working for him in the shop.

I asked him about it and he has seen mine and he said it is totally legal with or without the 1911 or Glock recievers installed and you can convert them back and forth at will. So I told him about our little discussion here on the net and he said he would get in touch with his contact at the BATFE and get a letter with the BATFE letterhead about the legality of the Mech-Tech Carbine so we can settle this question once and for all.

In the meantime, have a great week all. :)

Top Bottom