• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kklingberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Hammond
    So I have a few rounds of hollow points that I’ve noticed the bullet has been pushed further into the casing. I know for fact that these rounds weren’t that way when I bought and opened the box, it was most likely done when I was racking the slide testing if the hollow points feeding into the chamber (yes I know that’s not a proper test to see if hollow points feed...I just bought them...) but now that the bullet has been pushed further into the casing, is it safe to fire that through my handgun? Should I dispose of it as if it’s defective now, or is it still alright to fire through my hand gun? What do you all think, have you had any experience with this or have shot the ammo and had good or bad results?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pitch it. Bullet setback can/will result in higher pressure. Chambering ammunition multiple time can push the bullets bad into the case and also can result in the primer breaking apart internally. That is why we should not keep chambering the same cartridge and need to rotate out carry ammo. Plus ammo in guns being carried at exposed to the elements.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Typical occurrence with multiple chambered rounds. Just rotate the top rounds d to the bottom every few chamberings so the same one doesn't get beat up. Like anything just get I to a mode to do routine inspections of your ammo and keep track.

But once the bullet is set back obviously get rid of it.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    My system is I only EVER chamber a round TWICE as a maximum. The second time the same round is chambered it gets SHOT at my next practice session. No setback is possible this way.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The company that built your ammo NEVER intended for it to be rechambered more than once. Call any of them and ask if their rounds will not setback with multiple chamberings. They will tell not to do it - and if you do - they are not responsible. Rechambering rounds more than once in a semi auto is a Very Bad Habit to get into. If you want to do that then you MUST load your own ammo. It's easy to make rounds that will not setback but the factories will not build them to specs that prevent setback. Factory rounds are pretty much cheap junk these days - quality control is a joke. Or buy some snap caps. If you want to see if your hollowpoints will feed - chamber them one time and shoot them. Low pressure rounds like .45 ACP can tolerate small amounts of setback. Higher pressure rounds can become dangerous really fast if they setback. Don't take any chances. Quite a few guns have blown from over pressure rounds.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In addition to bullet setback, rechambering can break up the primer pellet leading to misfires. Neither are good from a safety or security perspective.

Top Bottom