• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Just getting into ham radios....I have not taken the test yet, but.... Should we have a couple of frequencies to talk to in an emergency?

Something to save and keep this the radios.

I might have missed it in the past, but it would be a good idea.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Outstanding, longbow. Feel free to hit me up if you have questions/need help. I am assuming you are taking the Technician class test. Your idea is not practical though. The only (reasonably) sure way to cover a patch of local ground (like a state) is to use what's called NVIS which is Near Vertical Incidence Skywave. Put another way...cloud warming. :) Instead of shooting for a low angle take off for DX with NVIS you are sending the signal 'near vertical' so it bounces immediately back down. However this only works on 40M and below and Techs only have CW privileges on those bands...so all the INGO hams would need their General at minimum OR know morse code.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The best place for new hams is 2 meters. !46.520 is the national calling frequency.

Repeaters will get you farther coverage. Here is a national database for frequencies. Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

2 meters is the place you should spend the least time. Seriously, work on an upgrade to General and Extra as soon as you can. It's a whole lot easier these days then it use to be.

It's an awesome hobby. So many facets to the hobby. I am a homebrewer. Most of my stuff is hand made. I have been in the communications business for many many years so that part is whats funniest for me. I am a bit spoiled because I can do all my own stuff. I have a rather large vintage radio equipment. Although I do have some of the newest equipment as well. Like the IC7800 and more. I am active 160 threw 70cm. AM, SSB, CW and most digital modes.

Find a mentor that is close if you can. Find a local club. You will find that most hams are very encouraging to the new guys. Buy a good radio. Not a BaoFeng POS they are crap. I fix this stuff. I have yet to see one that isn't spurious with out of band crap. Stick with Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom or Alinco if you are on a budget.

If you or anyone else needs info just PM me. I am a contact VE with W5YI as well and give test sessions for the ARRL. It;s been awhile since i have gave a session But if there were enough interest I would to an INGO all in one day class to get your Tech, I have done probably 40 or so of those.

I have even done radio work for the ARRL and some pretty famous people.

Vintage Station QRV at W1AW

73 de w9amr sk

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Find a VE team affiliated with the Laurel ARC VEC and the tests are free. There is a free exam every month in Terre Haute, thanks to the Laurel VEC. Just about everyone else charges $15 per test session.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd like to move up to General Class soon. The Technician Class exam was a breeze. I literally studied for an hour or so and aced it. I've heard moving up to General Class is a bit harder.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    This is sort of on my list as well. I held a Tech. license that expired a number of years ago. I see it is still out there and I think there is a way to get your old call sign back. Maybe a good project for this winter.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'd like to move up to General Class soon. The Technician Class exam was a breeze. I literally studied for an hour or so and aced it. I've heard moving up to General Class is a bit harder.

General is not that difficult and gives the most bang for the buck.

Extra is more about bragging rights. It only opens up a small amount of band space.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly, is there a local place to browse and buy radio equipment?

Not really. We use to have a place called Comdac in St Joe. I deal a lot with R and L in Hamilton Ohio. There prices are the same or usually cheaper them AES or Ham Radio Outlet. Send me a PM with a list of some of the thing you are looking for and I will keep an eye out for you if I come across something.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not really. We use to have a place called Comdac in St Joe. I deal a lot with R and L in Hamilton Ohio. There prices are the same or usually cheaper them AES or Ham Radio Outlet. Send me a PM with a list of some of the thing you are looking for and I will keep an eye out for you if I come across something.
    I am just in the stage of wondering if I would actually make it a hobby or not. I hate to go to the effort of passing the test, the expense of buying a bunch of equipment and then get bored after a couple of months of using it. I don't know enough at this point to know what equipment I would even want.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I am just in the stage of wondering if I would actually make it a hobby or not. I hate to go to the effort of passing the test, the expense of buying a bunch of equipment and then get bored after a couple of months of using it. I don't know enough at this point to know what equipment I would even want.

A mobile 2 meter rig, 12 power supply, simple ground plane antenna up on your roof, some coax, and you're talking. Even a handheld would work to get started. It's been a while for me, but the 2m band always seemed to be busy enough to keep a person interested.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

The cool thing about the hobby is you can come back to it later in life when there is more time :-)

This place isn't too far (Cincinnati) and is Ham Radio Heaven. tbhausen and I drive over occasionally:

R&L Electronics

Yep, I mentioned them in my response to the op. Roger and Larry are awesome folk. I have been dealing with them for years. It's a family owned business. Good people!

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    I'm intrigued by the title of this thread, but I was hoping to learn some basics to HAM radios here. I'm probably too clueless to ask the right questions. How far do they reach? What does a "mid-range" system costs? Why are classes and payments involved? Are HAM radios feasible for off grid networking with others in a 5-10 mile radius?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm intrigued by the title of this thread, but I was hoping to learn some basics to HAM radios here. I'm probably too clueless to ask the right questions. How far do they reach? What does a "mid-range" system costs? Why are classes and payments involved? Are HAM radios feasible for off grid networking with others in a 5-10 mile radius?

All are great question. Fee's, license's, testing are required for many reasons. As far as I am concerned the biggest reason is keeps the ham bands for turning in the CB radio. Although on some night on some bands it's hard to distinguish the difference :-(. The equipment has a learning curve. You need to know the band limits for the different class license. Basic radio theory and the math behind the workings is a nice thing to know.

When it comes to range, I have literally worked the world. The real fun begins at a general class license.

Off the grid, hell yeah. Lots of people use solar panels to charge batteries. We had a solar powered station at our last field day. Feel free to ask any questions and or start a new thread with questions. INGO has several hams. 99% of us are really pro getting the new guys in to the hobby.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My neighbor (died 20 years ago now) was a ham. I know he used to go to the Goshen field days and would run his rig off of his lawnmower engine.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am not in it as a hobby. But have been tweaking my comms plan for about a decade. Local, regional, or worldwide. Lately focusing on being able to send emails via HF radio with 5 watts. Local comms with vhf puts you at a huge advantage imo.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    And a Baofeng is a great cheap tool to use just to monitor local skywarn, Ares, local FD, Ems hospitals etc. Not nearly as good as my $400 good scanner but a great value.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    YEARS ago, I put together a presentation, can't remember the source of the this information, but it's pretty sound. A quick search and found it on radiofreeq.wordpress.com but I do not recall that being the original source, I'd be happy to reference the original source if someone knows where it is.

This can help with "Range" questions. Remember, it all depends on the band and band conditions.

average_radio_range_2.jpg
    average_radio_range_base_base_2.jpg
    average_radio_range_base_vehicle_2.jpg
    average_radio_range_vehicle_vehicle_2.jpg
    average_radio_range_pedestrian_vehicle_2.jpg
    average_radio_range_pedestrian_pedestrian_2.jpg

Additionally, If you or someone you know is near the Columbus area and wants to get their license, my team has represented The Laurel VEC since 2013, and hold testing sessions once a month.

Krogo

Top Bottom