Had a primer pop on me today. Safety,Safety, Safety!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    While I was using a kinetic puller to clean up my "screwed up rounds" container. I generally pop the bullets out for reuse, dump the powder in my dump container, and reuse the brass and primer if I can.
    I was popping bullets out of .223/5.56, and there was a pop. Here is the primer, notice no anvil, and I couldn't find it. There was powder in the round, looks like H4895, and it did not ignite.

Just a reminder to be careful, wear glasses, and that anything can go wrong.
    DSCF4021.jpg

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Very strange to me. I don't understand how the primer ignited and not the powder. I also don't understand how the primer could ignite in a kinetic puller without someting to strike the primer. Sounds like you were very lucky that the powder didn't ignite. That would not have been pretty.

Is it possible that the primer was actually already bad/fired and you were not aware? Why were you pulling this round? I'm really not trying to test you but it raises many questions that we can all learn from.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Is that rd in backwards?

No, the rim just isn't seated in the collet.

Don't know what would make the primer pop without any physical contact... and then the powder does NOT ignite?

I've pulled several live rounds from finds at the range, but never anything to talk about.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    No, the rim just isn't seated in the collet.

Don't know what would make the primer pop without any physical contact... and then the powder does NOT ignite?

I've pulled several live rounds from finds at the range, but never anything to talk about.

I've pulled at least 100 .223's for reclaiming powder and projectile and never once had an issue. Is that round Berdan primed? Could explain the missing anvil and it being touched off by inertia. I can't see from the picture if it's steel or brass cased...

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Primer popped and hit the ceiling. I figure it didn't ignite since the powder is extruded, and the pressure sent the primer out too quickly. And to answer questions, the round had never been fired. I had a few that were seated a little to deep and I was taking them apart. Nothing to hit the primer, since my strike is a nice walnut log in the middle of the floor. She just went, and it smelled like a cap gun went off.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've pulled at least 100 .223's for reclaiming powder and projectile and never once had an issue. Is that round Berdan primed? Could explain the missing anvil and it being touched off by inertia. I can't see from the picture if it's steel or brass cased...

It looks like maybe the Lake City green tip "penetrator" or something of the sort.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Wow I have never heard of this before. I have thought about it before and came to the conclusion it couldn't happen. Over the years I have used my old RCBS so much that I replaced it last summer. Never had a incident. I am glad this was posted.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There is a reason every bullet-pulling tool on the market that relies on kinetic energy does not enclose the primer pocket. (In fact, even the collet-style pullers leave an escape route for the primer, should it go off for any reason.) I'm glad to hear you were wearing safety glasses and did not have anything truly awful happen when that primer went off.

This does illustrate how crucial confined pressure is to the burn characteristics of modern smokeless propellants. It is very likely that a small amount of the powder in the case DID, in fact, burn. However, with nothing preventing the primer from blowing out of the pocket, creating an escape valve for the pressure that would have been created in the case, the burn shut down. This is analogous to when you gently blow on a spark to start a fire using traditional means. If you stop blowing on the starter material, it will die. Modern powder, in the absence of pressure, will fizzle out instead of burning reliably. Be thankful for this! :)

Top Bottom