• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thank you for your service, I never went across the pond, but did serve 26 + years... heal well, and come back 100%... Prayers, and well wishes sent your way, keep us posted....

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    There are no words to say that can even begin to convey my deepest sense of respect and gratitude to you not only for your service, but for your amazing ability to refer to your injury as a little accident. Maintain your positive attitude and know that there are a lot of people praying for you and your family as well.

:patriot:Thank you and God bless!:patriot:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Word on the street is that the volcano spewed more ash and I probably will not be going to DC Monday. Instead I'll be going in for a washout to clean all of my wounds, then who knows when I'll br moving. My pain is under control taking Percocet(SP), 800mg Motrin, and something that supposedly will target my nerves that I can't remember the name of. I haven't needed Morphine in over a day, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Of course I realize it's still WAY too early to know, but do you think you'll stay in service for awhile after you heal up & get fitted with the new wonder-plastic/unobtainium, super-runner?
    (I'd already be scheming on a way to figure out how to fit a G-26 in there)

I should have about a year left when I get done with all of my therapy. I plan to finish that year and get out. Before I got blowed up, my plan was to go to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University to become a helicopter pilot. That's still the plan, i just now have some more hurdles to jump before i can do that. I'm working that and have already contacted my admissions advisor. As for the last year, plan on doing one more parachute jump with the 82nd once I get healed. I was also invited to come shoot at the army marksmanship unit. I will only go there if i don't have to add much time. School is my priority.

Serious question here. Does the military have a Ronald McDonald House type program for families of those at Walter Reed?

Yes they do, I believe it's called the Fisher House. My wife has already put everything we own in storage, waiting for the word. I have to get to DC and get examined by a doctor before they will issue the travel orders to my wife and parents.

If you need a laptop pm me an address and I will make sure you get a new one sent to you.

I have one in afghanistan, and I believe my dad might have got me one of the itty bitty travel ones to use temporarily till i get my stuff. I appreciate the offer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Word on the street is that the volcano spewed more ash and I probably will not be going to DC Monday. Instead I'll be going in for a washout to clean all of my wounds, then who knows when I'll br moving. My pain is under control taking Percocet(SP), 800mg Motrin, and something that supposedly will target my nerves that I can't remember the name of. I haven't needed Morphine in over a day, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

I should have about a year left when I get done with all of my therapy. I plan to finish that year and get out. Before I got blowed up, my plan was to go to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University to become a helicopter pilot. That's still the plan, i just now have some more hurdles to jump before i can do that. I'm working that and have already contacted my admissions advisor. As for the last year, plan on doing one more parachute jump with the 82nd once I get healed. I was also invited to come shoot at the army marksmanship unit. I will only go there if i don't have to add much time. School is my priority.

This is why you're a hero. Don't let anything stop your dreams.

Yes they do, I believe it's called the Fisher House. My wife has already put everything we own in storage, waiting for the word. I have to get to DC and get examined by a doctor before they will issue the travel orders to my wife and parents.

This is great to hear. As anyone here will know I disagree with about 90% of government spending, this is an area where I fully support it. I couldn't imagine the financial strain this would put on some families if they had to pay for this 100% out of pocket. Still if you need anything, please let us know.

I have one in afghanistan, and I believe my dad might have got me one of the itty bitty travel ones to use temporarily till i get my stuff. I appreciate the offer.

Great to hear, please keep us updated on your progress.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

snip.

Don't know if you've looked into it yet, but you'll hardly be the only one legged pilot out there. The list is long, but distinguished, including a Spitfire and Hurrican ace from WW2. Actually, Douglas Bader wasn't a one legged pilot... he was a no legged pilot.

Douglas Bader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defense.gov News Article: Face of Defense: Amputee Pilot Completes Third Deployment

Flying again is freedom for a veteran helicopter pilot and double amputee - Los Angeles Times

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association is an excellent resource for navigating the ins and outs of getting your medical, and any waivers you'll need. They were superb in helping me get my special issuance for my medical, and helped me track and expedite the process.

AOPA Online: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

Another organization that can provide help with the process, and that has a lot of expertise in the area, is The International Wheelchair Aviators. Don't be put off by the name, you don't have to be in a wheelchair, but they are a great resouce!
    Home

The obstacles aren't all that high. The medical won't be much of an issue. The challenge you'll face is the same one all of us face... passing the flight test!! I suspect you'll have an additional ride with an FAA examiner, possibly before you solo, to get your waiver, but I'm not 100% on how that process works. Either of the above organizations can help with that.

Never give up, never surrender! Let me know when you are on the way home. I'll start scrimping my pennies, get my medical renewed (on the plate for this summer anyway), and take you flying. It'll be fixed wing, though... I don't trust helicopters. Just a bunch of parts flying in loose formation :D

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    I don't trust helicopters. Just a bunch of parts flying in loose formation

That, and they'll shake you to death after awhile. I'll stick to my old C-210 where, at least my wings are going in (more or less) the same direction as me.
    Something always felt soooo wrong about half your wings retreating or going sideways! :runaway: :D

I absolutely respect the skill of a good rotary-wing pilot, but it's something I could never get good at (I did try!).
    It always reminded me of trying to balance a basketball, on top of a basketball, on top of a basketball. :n00b:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You sound amazingly in good spirits. That's what I love about our soldiers- you guys are great guys sacrificing a lot.

Thank you for doing what you do to protect my right to sit here and type this.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Any chance you could stay in and cross train into a helo pilot? ERAU is a great school but if the ARMY would let you do that you would be going to school and work at the same time!

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Anyone that can refer to losing their foot as a little accident, is someone we could all learn alot from! Thanks for the service, best of luck in what ever you do from here weather its returning home or continuing to serve our country. Your a hero in my book thats for sure!!!

:patriot:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Any chance you could stay in and cross train into a helo pilot? ERAU is a great school but if the ARMY would let you do that you would be going to school and work at the same time!

I would have to go to Warrant Officer Course, but the problem is that I don't have enough time left in the army to apply. It's hard to get in so I'm not going to re-enlist for something that is not only not a sure thing, but unlikely. I would rather get out and look at other options anyway.

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    I want to join the long list of folks here that really appreciate your service and admire your attitude. You are a true hero and I add my thoughts and prayers to the many others already in progress. Thank you sir and I hope you experience a quick recovery! :patriot:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Going to get my final surgery tomorrow. They are going to cut off 6 inches of bone from my leg, wrap all the left over muscle around the end of the bone, stitch it up and call it a day. Then I will hopefully be flying back on Friday, but who knows.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going to get my final surgery tomorrow. They are going to cut off 6 inches of bone from my leg, wrap all the left over muscle around the end of the bone, stitch it up and call it a day. Then I will hopefully be flying back on Friday, but who knows.

You have the strongest spirit of anyone I could imagine going thru this situation. Good luck man,

Top Bottom