• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had a need for a small piece of rail for a secondary piece of optics equipment. With no good options of mounting a rail to the receiver I decided to try a stock-mounted rail to see how well it would hold zero.

I have a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (I think that's the one I have)...

So I started by clamping my stock in my mill vice. This was a pain-staking process. This is for optics so having a good "bore-site" was crucial so I made sure the stock was straight so the resulting rail would be straight.
    ADSCN9814.jpg
    I then milled a pocket into the composite material down to the aluminum bedding block to get to a good, solid surface that I could dowel pin my "spacer block" into.
    ADSCN9809.jpg
    I drilled/reamed holes for the dowel pins and then took the stock out and started on the "spacer block".
    ADSCN9811.jpg ADSCN9813.jpg
    The spacer block is a solid block of steel that I milled out to shape (at this point I got a bit lax on taking pictures, mostly because my wife stole the camera for other uses). I machined it to the overall outer size, drilled/reamed the matching dowel-pin holes, and machined the mating surface for the rail. As part of the spacer block, to ensure the rail did not slide on the block, I included a small "recoil-lug" in the front for the rail to "seat against". I drilled & tapped for the 2 mounting screws that would hold the rail in place
    I then machined the corresponding recess into the rail section for the "recoil-lug". If you look carefully in the first pic you can see the chips flying through the air. I use carbide tooling and high cut speeds for a good surface finish (notice the mirror finish) in the 2nd pic.
    ADSCN9816.jpg ADSCN9819.jpg
    I rounded the corners of the spacer block to fit in the recess in the stock, then I used my grinder to make "cuts" into the bottom of the block for the devcon steel putty that would hold it in place.
    ADSCN9824.jpg
    I used a chisel to make cuts in the composite stock material for the steel putty. If you look closely you can see it in one of the pictures.

I then used dowel-pins and devcon steel putty to mount the "spacer block" in place permanently. Again no pics of this so use your imagination. I smeared glue into the pocket and onto the steel spacer block then pressed it in place
    ADSCN9826.jpg ADSCN9830.jpg

After a 24 hour cure the moment of truth came. I mounted up my secondary optics already set on the factory bore-site. I calculated that with my 300 yard zero my POI/POA coincide at about 17 yards so I set up 17 yards from a wall in my basement and looked through my primary optic with my secondary in place as well. As it turns out, the offset between the 2 POI's were EXACTLY what I hoped for, about 1.7" down and 1" right of the cross-hairs in my scope. Which meant I nailed the "bore-site" in mounting the rail. Using that, I went to the range and zeroed the rifle and then tested groups.

With the current location of the rail, I can "induce" about 2 MOA flex into the stock when pre-loading the bipod. So to ensure accurate sighting using the secondary optics I have to shoot from a rest that is back under the receiver, not the front of the stock. Which isn't a problem. The groups I shot in this manner were very acceptable at the distance I plan to shoot like this...

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ill be in the market for another one as well as a gigantic lathe in about three years. two years to get the shop built at the new property, and one year to save. Will probably buy a lathe first though. Someday.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ill be in the market for another one as well as a gigantic lathe in about three years. two years to get the shop built at the new property, and one year to save. Will probably buy a lathe first though. Someday.....
    Let me know when you're ready. If I'm not ready to sell I'll at least check with all the machinists at work to see if they know of any machines for sale.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I know a guy who has some freshly built cheap storage for you. What are friends for:):

Looks great countryboy.

Top Bottom