• ...and so much more!
  • Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    FYI
    The following is from Sheriff Ken Campbell, Boone County, Indiana. I have no affiliation other than having attended training in Boone County previously.

Gunsite 150 Course in Lebanon IN May 15-17, 2009 and September 11-13, 2009

Boone County Sheriff Department is proud to again host Gunsite Academy Inc. for a Three (3) Day 150 Level Pistol Course. (This is a derivative of the 250 course without the famous indoor and outdoor simulators.)

If you have often wondered about taking a course at Gunsite but were timid to spend the time and money necessary to travel to Arizona, this is an opportunity to experience Gunsite near your home.

The course is $469 for the three days. Plan on shooting approximately 800 rounds, including the night shoot. The course is IN LETB Certified (read: POST Certified for IN).

Registration information and additional Gunsite information is available at: Gunsite: Home

gs.jpg

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Hmmmm......good question. :ugh: I have an e-mail out to the affable sheriff and will post as soon as he, or his AI, responds.

Here is his contact info if there are further questions.

Sheriff Ken P. Campbell
    Boone Co. Sheriff's Office
    1905 Indianapolis Avenue
    Lebanon, IN 46052
    (765)482-1412

He is as down-to-earth as they come. A genuine good guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    $650 for a three day course? Someone had better justify that.

this is comparable to other HIGH END courses, if not a better deal.... provided that the instruction is the same as you would get from blackwater or rifles only or the other such PROFFESIONAL dedicated training facilities this is not a bad price...

before i get hammered i dont know if this training is on par with the ones i quoted but i have heard that it is.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    $650 for a three day course? Someone had better justify that.

No doubt!

A brief survey:
    EAG 3-Day Carbine is $575
    Magpul 3-Day Carbine 1 is $500
    Vickers 3-Day Pistol/Carbine is $600
    Awerbuck/YFA 3-day any discipline is $550 to $625 (depending on time of sign-up)
    Thunder Ranch 3-day is $880 :laugh:
    Suarez 2-day courses are $400
    TigerSwan 3-day pistol/carbine is $750 :n00b:
    DTI 3-Day Urban Rifle is $525
    VTAC 2-Day Carbine 1.5 is $400
    Tactical Response 2-Day Fighting Rifle is $400

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've heard that gunsite training videos are floating around the torrent web. So, one could conceivably check out the type of training beforehand.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I've heard that gunsite training videos are floating around the torrent web. So, one could conceivably check out the type of training beforehand.

I've seen the videos and I've been in classes that Ken has taught.

Trying to compare the 2 are like comparing a 1975 AMC Pacer and a 2009 BMW 550i. Ken is not in the videos.

One other thing to consider is that with the bigger schools, they have a pool of instructors. You never know who you will get. Some are good, some not so much. Ken Campbell is a known quantity to many people on this forum.

It is pricey, no doubt. And again, Ken is not in control of the cost on this. It's a Gunsite course. I get the sense a big part of the cost is the name "Gunsite."

Ken also does an Introduction To Defensive Pistol class that is considerably less than the Gunsite course.

As another option, Louis Awerbuck will be here in August. Actually, most of the month of August. There is another thread with more info.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I get the sense a big part of the cost is the name "Gunsite."

DINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winner!

Not knocking Ken at all on this, as I realize he is beholden to Gunsite policy WRT pricing. Personally, I'd sooner take EAG's Pistol 2 course in July, Awerbuck in August, or Ken's own intro course in the fall.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gunsite prices have always been on the high end of the spectrum (like Thunder Ranch). I think they can almost justify it for classes at their fixed facility because of the cool things they have like the shoot houses, etc. For a three day class offsite (like at Boone Co.), $650 is a little salty.

Still, many of the in-demand instructors charge around $200 per student per day. Some charge a little more. The DTI classes with John Farnam are $525 for two days. Is that too much? Probably, but I'm going to one this weekend and I'm not going to complain about it. If you break it down to an hourly rate or half hour rate, it's comparable to what you could pay for piano lessons locally, and a lot less than you'd pay for piano lessons from Van Cliburn.

I suppose the lessons are worth what people will pay for them.

I know from experience than Ken's classes are excellent. In my opinion he's a better instructor than some of the "big names" he brings to Boone County. Are they worth $650? I can' say. Has it affected my choice to patronize Gunsite offsite courses in the future? Absolutely. I really like Ken and his services, but it's not worth $650 to me, especially when Louis Awerbuck (who is THE Man) is about $100 less for three days.

Of course, the products are similar, but not the same. If you want the Gunsite experience and you can't afford the time and money to go there, $650 for three days may not be such a bad deal.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Check the ammo thread. There are a few good leads of online stores that have ammo in stock. Or you can get back ordered and when it comes in, then sign up for a course.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    I attended the Gunsite pistol class two years ago. The instructors were Sheriff Campbell and Jay Tuttle. Great class and the instruction was top notch. If you have never experienced a night shoot, this is an excellent opportunity.

$650 is a chunk of change, but it is still cheaper than a trip to AZ.

When I attended, the cost of the class included some swag and a year membership to the NRA, which is never a bad thing.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Training from the top people has never been cheap. They have experience and knowledge. You want cheap, buy a couple boxes of ammo and teach yourself. See where that knowledge gets you.

Or join one of the special forces and let Uncle Sam pay for it.

Top Bottom