guns shows are they worth going to, or a waste of time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I usually go to the 1500 because sometimes I don't know I want something until I've had a chance to hold one. It starts the wheels turning and while I almost certainly will not buy at a gun show, it is nice to start shopping there sometimes. Other than that, they can be fun.

Plainfield Shooting Supply has a table (or 20) at the 1500 and the prices they ask at the show are no different than their store prices, which are usually very competitive. The malted milk balls sold by the chocolate guy are great too. I more often end up coming home with a box or two of bullets for reloading as well as more plastic cases to put the reloads into. Sometimes I find something that would make reloading a bit easier and often I don't know I need it until I see it.

I have found a few deals at the 1500, but they are not obvious. I picked up a really nice Finnish Mosin Nagant for $150 a couple of years ago. You have to ferret out the deals that are there, but they are usually to be found somewhere. Most of the vendors are asking way over the normal price for a gun and even that can be entertaining. You'll see a Bersa 380 on one table for $269 and then the same gun for $425 two tables over. An then every now and then, I'll find something I've been wanting and it will be at a decent price, so I'll bring it home. That does not happen too often though, as I think I've sold as many guns at the 1500 as I've bought, with the proceeds going into reloading supplies.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If your going only to purchase 1 brick of 22 ammo. NO don't go, by the time you figure your gas, the parking fee and the entrance fee you will probably have at least $20 invested and your not likely to find a brick for less than $40 or more. BUT, I don't go to GS's to purchase one item. Sometimes I don't buy at all, other times I spend $500 and up.

It is a SHOW, a place to look at GUNS and reloading supplies and equipment, plus the occasional bargain - never know you might just find something you can't live without. I am 71, been attending GS's for years - Almost every show I learn something about a firearm I didn't know - and see some old ones I have never seen before (and I collect guns).

So if your only reason to go is to find one item cheap, probably going to cost you both time and money......

I won't attend this Indy show, went to the last 1500, but will be going to Kokomo in a couple weeks.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I usually buy a couple boxes or more of ammo at the 1500 when I go. At the last one I picked up 45 ACP & 38 special ammo. I also picked up some other small things I decided I needed. I didn't buy anything major but I didn't expect to. I go to the 1500 to see and touch all of the different guns. I go to learn about all the different options out there. I go to see my dealer and INGO friends. I go to have fun.

I'm not going to buy into the price frenzy but I still like to get my gun fix. Let's face it, the weather sucks, I haven't been to the range in months, I need some touch therapy.

I avoid the tables that insist you ask for assistance to touch their firearms. I like the no pressure concept of being able to touch at will. If I need assistance or have a question I will ask the dealer. Otherwise I just want to look at what they have to offer.

I place gun shows in the entertainment category. It's no different than going to a movie or other pay to participate event. I give them money and I get a few hours of entertainment. Whether or not I buy anything really doesn't matter. I enjoy myself while I am there. It's good therapy.

Vaquero11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Indy
    I used to love to go to the shows but the crowds are so big and the isles are so small I get frustrated just trying to get around inside there. Also, there is an excess of B.O. and some nasty crop dusting that goes on. So I've been saving the parking and admission fees and just patronizing my LGS.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I used to love to go to the shows but the crowds are so big and the isles are so small I get frustrated just trying to get around inside there. Also, there is an excess of B.O. and some nasty crop dusting that goes on. So I've been saving the parking and admission fees and just patronizing my LGS.

Enlighten me please, what is crop dusting? Sounds like a fun insult, is it?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I got a laugh at your comment on B.O. At the last show a couple of guys were standing at a table of surplus stuff, 60 year old military leather, canvas, old wooden boxes, etc. One young guy (loudly and disapprovingly) says to another, "man someone has B.O.!, someone smells like my grandma's basement". Right under his nose is a whole table full of old war crap that probably has been stored in a basement or shed. He did not put two an two together. I think I laughed out loud.

Last edited:

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I like looking at blued steel and wood, used gun parts, firearm furniture, and talking with the people just selling stuff they no longer need. New stuff just doesn't get it for me, so I usually don't spend much time at dealer tables. As far as crop dusting and BO goes, that occurs at Walmart and Krogers also. I don't go with expectations of buying anything and have a great time.

Vaquero11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Indy
    I like looking at blued steel and wood, used gun parts, firearm furniture, and talking with the people just selling stuff they no longer need. New stuff just doesn't get it for me, so I usually don't spend much time at dealer tables. As far as crop dusting and BO goes, that occurs at Walmart and Krogers also. I don't go with expectations of buying anything and have a great time.

You are certainly correct about Walmart and Kroger!

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    I wouldn't expect to find any deals on ammo at the 1500. The prices last time were at panic levels and there was not haggleing. Other than the Ar stuff and guys trying to make a quick buck on people panicing prices were about normal. I enjoy going just to look all the guns and a little poeple watching too.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I will go to gun shows if it suits me at the moment but don't have expectations on finding one particular item at a good price. Some of my best finds have been what I call "targets of opportunity". That being something I may have thought about in the past but didn't go out of my way for and they were being sold at an irresistible price. Got some damn good deals that way. Never go in with the "gotta have it now" attitude. I could probably think of 15-20 firearms I bought like that.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    A gun show in my opinion is just that, a "show" They are fun to go and look at the guns and different vendors, but the prices are sky high! You can find deals if you really search though...

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i am looking forward to going. i have a stock of ammo but i dont want to touch it and i cant find any in stock online. if i find reasonable prices i will buy some more, not to stock, but for range days. i also want to find some of those "self healing" targets, some hornady critical duty (not to be confused with critical defense), and a digital safe that will fit in my nightstand drawer.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i just dont want to participate in panic buying....i would rather walk away empty handed than spend $60 for 500 rounds 22lr....i wonder if there will be a churro stand there. i love churros.

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    i am looking forward to going. i have a stock of ammo but i dont want to touch it and i cant find any in stock online. if i find reasonable prices i will buy some more, not to stock, but for range days. i also want to find some of those "self healing" targets, some hornady critical duty (not to be confused with critical defense), and a digital safe that will fit in my nightstand drawer.

Wal-mart has some "self healing" targets, I picked up a 9" self-healing "gong" target a few weeks a go for $25, they also have others. I have seen other types of the self healing at Gander Mt and Dunhams.

I have enjoyed mine, ive put aprox 800 rds of .22 though it and its still there to take a beating, I take the larger binder clips and clip paper targets to the gong, works quite nicely.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    glad to hear its working out. i was curious if they held up or were just a gimmick.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i know, im going....but seriously, i hope they have cherry churros. love those things.

Top Bottom