• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I did a search and didn't find anything on this (surprising) so if its a double post, I apologize.

Anyway, I was wondering about keeping a gun in a vehicle. The idea of having a dedicated gun to my truck is appealing (what's not appealing about "needing" to have another gun) but I carry, and have always felt that to be enough. I do like those GunVault safes that you can teather under the seat.

Anybody else do this? I also was wondering about the balance between accessible and concealed/safe from being stolen.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My only fear with a dedicated truck gun is that it will be forgotten.That means very little practice and maintenance,a bad surprise during a vehicle search,or becoming an instant felon if you go to a parent-teacher conference.I have my AR that gets put in the car if I'm not going to work or just a quick run to town.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    My answer? A very basic, iron-sighted M4 locked down under the back seat with two extra mags, key hidden in plain sight right next to it. I'm always wearing my EDC and its primary purpose is to give me the means to fight my way to the M4.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I decided about a month ago that I wanted a dedicated gun for my Jeep. Having a fancy safe is probably not necessary, because in the neighborhood where I work, the Jeep is much more likely to be stolen than broken into. Once they get the vehicle, it matters not where the gun is; they will find it. Do I want my gun out there if my vehicle gets stolen? No, but I absolutely cannot carry at work.

I looked until I found a gun in my price range-- a .38 revolver in the $200-300 range. I even put up a WTB here. I ended up finding a nice Smith 10-5 snubby at the pawn shop for $325. More than I planned on spending, but I had also resigned myself to Taurus or Rossi for what I wanted to pay, and I got a Smith. I definitely will practice with it. It will go in the range bag with the others every time I go.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I have one of those small hand gun safes that attach to the seat frame. If and when I use it is only if going into a government building or somewhere I know I cant take it. Otherwise I am carrying.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I keep one in both my vehicles. Out of sight but accessible. I strap these on when I got into the woods for hiking or scouting and shoot them regularly. Both are 9mm S&W. Keep a couple of extra mags with each.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I did a search and didn't find anything on this (surprising) so if its a double post, I apologize.

Anyway, I was wondering about keeping a gun in a vehicle. The idea of having a dedicated gun to my truck is appealing (what's not appealing about "needing" to have another gun) but I carry, and have always felt that to be enough. I do like those GunVault safes that you can teather under the seat.

Anybody else do this? I also was wondering about the balance between accessible and concealed/safe from being stolen.

I considered putting a folding stock AK with 5 loaded mags in my trunk for a while. In the end I decided against it. This is solely my opinion. Too many reasons to sway against it. In friendly (rural areas) folks used to leave long guns in rifle racks and their truck doors unlocked. I find myself mostly in urban and suburban areas. Where vehicle vandalism/thefts are more likely. Heck cop cars are even targets. His gun was stolen from his car that was in front of his house...

http://articles.southbendtribune.co..._1_police-car-police-officer-police-equipment

Thieves are too bold nowadays for me to leave something that valuable in my unattended vehicle all the time. I'd rather not have to take it out every time I park someplace for more than 10 mins, therefore to me its not worth the hassle. Nor can I picture a likely scenario of me having to use a truck gun (rifle) in my defense (as a civilian that is). I feel that if I were to carry more items in my vehicle for safety, I'd be better off carrying a fire extinguisher as that would probably be more used than a truck gun. I suppose I feel my carry piece is adequate for my day to day lifestyle within an urban/non gun friendly areas. Sure a long gun would be a "better tool" if attacked by aggressors, but it would be far less likely to be used from my car. Your security concerns of course may differ.

Last edited:

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I don't keep a gun in my Jeep, but I always have my EDC. The problem is, as pointed out above, Govt buildings and schools. I'll leave my EDC in the vehicle when going into a Govt building, but it presents a problem when I get off work early and want to pick up the kids from school. I usually park off of school property to avoid any issues. RIGHT NOW there is a bill before the Indiana House, HB 1048, sponsored by Rep Jim Lucas, which would allow a gun to be locked inside a vehicle on school property. I think now it is up to the school, and most school boards have language banning this practice, but I may be wrong on that. Anyway, if you have strong feelings on this subject, you should contact your State Representative and make your opinion known re: HB 1048.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I do understand the logic in keeping a long gun and extra mags locked down but accessible inside a vehicle, but I agree with previous posts that you have to weigh the issues of an accident or vehicle theft. That being said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone for keeping a semi auto long gun in a vehicle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If one were to carry a BUG or long gun in the vehicle, you need to wrap your head around the idea that you could have it stolen. If you cannot do this, you probably shouldn't keep it in your vehicle. The same goes for LEO search/confiscation. An injury accident, not even your fault, can send your guns to the PD's property room. Maybe a roll of the dice to retrieve?

Security mindset, including never getting sloppy or lazy. One is none, two is one..., eggs in one basket... Positive insurance coverage. All necessary things to have right.

All that said, if you need a BUG or long gun from your vehicle, you REALLY NEED IT. You can't get it if it's not there.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I do not. Main reason is because I have still not been able to convince my wife to get her LTCH. So I cant leave one in my vehicle even if I wanted to, as she sometimes takes my car. But I wouldn't want to leave one out in a vehicle due to theft reasons.

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Crazy to think about nowadays but growing up my brother and I always had a shotgun or .22 in the back window of our trucks. Sad world we live in.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Right now, I keep a full size pistol in my glove compartment. Usually my FN45. I'd like to get a cheapish AK74 and put it in the back with a couple mags. Ive never had anything stolen from my car, cause I lock it. (Amazes me how many people dont lock their cars) But if I lose an AK, I'll live.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Right now, I keep a full size pistol in my glove compartment. Usually my FN45. I'd like to get a cheapish AK74 and put it in the back with a couple mags. Ive never had anything stolen from my car, cause I lock it. (Amazes me how many people dont lock their cars) But if I lose an AK, I'll live.

Just buy it and give it to me then...:):

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I do not have a dedicated car gun, I think that's a bad idea. Your gun belongs on you. It does no good anywhere else. With that said I do have a safe bolted down in my car. It's there for when I can't have my gun on me because of school functions, government buildings,stopping some where in Illinois and Job. You should take reasonable precautions if you are going to lock a gun in your car, like keep doors lock, install a safe and have a alarm on your car. I'm not saying this will keep it from getting stolen but it will help. Here's some pics of what I did.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom