• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do with your guns with young kids in the house?

• Total voters

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.
    What he said about taking the mystery out of guns. Mine are locked in the safe, just not the one on my person.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have an 8 year old son who turkey hunts and has 2 long guns himself. I also have a daughter who is 11. Both have been through hunter's education and gun safety. My kids know that if they ask me to see my guns I will gladly unload them and let them handle them anytime they choose. Neither of them would ever touch a gun if they didn't have permission first. I quiz them when we have them out as well and my son always says don't touch the trigger unless you are ready to shoot and always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering the fact the poll is entitled Guns in the House and Young Kids, I selected the option of keeping a HD firearm in a quick access safe. I would also keep all other firearms unloaded and locked in a safe as well.

Once the curious, yet mentally undeveloped toddlers reached a more mature stage, I would gradually introduce them to the wonderful world of firearms and how to handle them safely and efficiently.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    On me.

If it's a long gun, it's either not capped or not chambered.

My sister and her kids (1.5 and 3) stayed here for a month. They never showed any interest other than curiosity which went away when I showed them. My son knows what they are and respects them. He just turned three.

If I think there may be a chance that they'll be gotten into, I'll lock them in my room while keeping my sidearm on me.

Josh

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Guns are locked, key is on me, extra key is in the same with the extra ammo. Only Gun not locked up is the one I'm carrying. Don't have any kids, but the significant other has friends with children that come over from time to time.

glock19man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    i have a six year old daughter i always tell her if she want to see or hold the my gun all she has to do is ask .and it is working she ask me a couple of times if she can see and hold my firearm and i take these moment to teach her about gun safety .:)

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    i keep my guns in a safe locked. granted my son is only 9 months old this friday. ha. when he is old enough he will know how to use them.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Well I am the "kid" in this case...but I keeped it in a safe that's locked with a key. I sometimes have younger relatives over at my house that like to look at all the interesting stuff that I have in my room. I don't trust that they wouldn't get in the box, so i'm forced to have it locked.

grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    All but two locked in safe a handgun loaded at bedside & shotty loaded inside bedroom door. My kids are grown but the grandkids come over and they know they don't enter my room unless i am with them.With all the other rooms to play in there is no need for them to go into my room.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    My kids are grown now. I always kept them open and obvious. The kids all knew what guns could do as they went shooting or at least watched me shoot from the time they were born. They also knew if they played with them without permission there would be holy hell to pay. Never had a problem.

Same here. Most are locked up but a few of my hunting/plinking along with the HD weapons are in plain sight. They know what to do and what not to do. They also know no friends.

Basically the same rules I grew up with. My brother, sister and I never killed anyone or even thought about touching those guns without the old man around:patriot:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Guns in the house+young kids??

I had to mark-Other-. My Wife+I raised 4 Kids in a Pro-Gun house. Our "Baby" is 27yr. now.
    When our children got old enough to be into "things" proper directions were given them+we would have them "Help" us do things that were firearms related.= Made Dad's guns no big deal to have around,BUT-something to NEVER be around unless one of us were with them.

Our system was to keep a revolver in our bedroom, when we were home, unloaded, with a six shot speed loader somewhere close, in a different location.

ALL firearms were locked up when we were away, or when friends/family were over to visit.
    Now that it is just me+the Wife, there is usually a handgun/two, around with easy access. Lock them back up when friends/family come around-except what may be on my hip at the time....:banana:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive got a 5 year old, an 18 month old, and a 4 month old, so I have little kids.

the 5 year old knows the eddie eagle rules and does well with them.

My guns stay locked in the safe most of the time. Ammo is where ever. Im not worried about the ammo.

I have a biosafe for my HD handgun, and the HD 870 shotgun is up away from where the kids can get it to it, and is kept 'police ready', ie cocked, nothing in the chamber, w/ loaded mag tube. I know at some point Ill have to address the shotgun once the kids get bigger. Ive thought about going to the Saiga for the HD shotgun since I can keep the mag separate.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I look at it like this, playing with a stove can cause burns, house fires, etc...(aka injury and death) no one ever suggests that you should lock up or hide your stove for "safety"
    No, they teach their kids what it does, how it operate it properly, and not to use it without permission\supervision. Guns are no different

remnut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    It's funny how guns are always targeted(no pun intended) when safety is the issue. My guns are displayed in a nice gun cabinet in the living room for thier beauty to be viewed by all who enter my home. There are 3 children that live in my home that dont even pay attention to them anymore. They used to ask about them often and we would have a small chat about what they are and what they can do so now all the curiosity is gone. Anyway.....back to the safety issue, do we give much thought about our steak knives and all the sharp utensils in our kitchens only being just a few feet from the floor in an unlocked drawer? As a newcomer here I know I'm gonna get knocked down and beat for this post but it's reality, a steak knife or a fork can kill just as easy as a gun.

Sparky481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Anderson
    No kids at home. Grand kids have been schooled on guns do's and don'ts. Except for carry guns rest are in bedroom or safe. Keyed lock on door to bedroom keeps kids out when necessary also keeps adult kids out.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Another vote for the 'take the mystery away' approach. My 2yo daughter likes it that way;)
    She LOVES her cricket rifle. She knows to check a gun anytime you touch it and will hound you until she sees you do it:yesway: She also has very strong feelings about which guns she likes, lol..

Oh, and she knows to only shoot a gun at steel.....Bobcat Steel....lol.:joke:
    Seriously...ask her...

The only problem I have is whether am I raising a girl that scares all the boys, or one that has extra reasons for the boys to like her?...either way I have an excuse to continue to build an arsenal for the next 12 years:draw:

Now I get to be proud papa and show the pictures!!!:D

First time shooting ANY gun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNq29bPZYQ

First time shooting her own gun:
    IMG_2647.jpg

Modeling my 308 build and holding it up on her own!!:yesway:
    DSC03499.jpg

Giving her thoughts to me on mommy's gun (later painted):
    1291746300319.jpg

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    It's funny how guns are always targeted(no pun intended) when safety is the issue. My guns are displayed in a nice gun cabinet in the living room for thier beauty to be viewed by all who enter my home. There are 3 children that live in my home that dont even pay attention to them anymore. They used to ask about them often and we would have a small chat about what they are and what they can do so now all the curiosity is gone. Anyway.....back to the safety issue, do we give much thought about our steak knives and all the sharp utensils in our kitchens only being just a few feet from the floor in an unlocked drawer? As a newcomer here I know I'm gonna get knocked down and beat for this post but it's reality, a steak knife or a fork can kill just as easy as a gun.

I agree! It reminded me of our last family doc. I took my now 4 year old to get a "well baby" check up and as he was asking me questions he asked "Do you have anything scary around your house, such as...lets say guns? :xmad: I was floored in northern Lawrence County and I had my camo bass pro shop hat on:dunno: Yes I have guns in the house but they are not as scary as the neighbors pit bulls, the child molestor down the road, the meth heads that are looking for a good woods to cook in, or...... I think he got my point. Man I was pizzed Needless to say we do not use him as our family doc any longer:draw:

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    kids n guns

I have my carry gun out all the rest in the safe. My 9yr old has .22 revolver, GSG1911, 10/22, marlin 60, .410 Rossi and a WASR2 AK in 5.45. He knows and respects all firearms and shoots my Kimber .45 more than his own and tries to trade me his GSG 1911 for it. If you teach them they will respect and know how deadly a firearm can be! Teach them young and keep all safe!

+Eleventy-billion

I have 4 small kids (oldest is 9). Guns are on the dresser, nightstand, closets, and they are all loaded. Kids don't touch them unless they ask first. And if they ask, I am happy to safely unload them and show the kids. It's to the point now that they dont even ask anymore. The curiosity is gone.

Top Bottom