• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a1gunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    I've used Gunbroker a few times for things that I just couldn't find locally. I was treated well and the prices were fair. I just prefer to do business face to face (old fashioned, I guess) and there are plenty of reputable shops in and around the Indy area to visit - and support. If they can't help me, then I turn to sites like Gunbroker.

Proud Father of a United States Airman
    NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've bought several through there.
    I've had only minor problems, like the gun being sent to the dealer without them putting anything with it to say who it was going to. That works fine if the shop isn't too busy, but when business is booming like it was at the time (last winter) it can cause some slight hassle. Yes, you can tell the shop it's coming, but with 20 people in the store they are waiting on at all times and you not knowing the exact day it will arrive, you can't expect them to remember every gun due in for someone. Just stressing to the seller that you would like some sort of note attached to the gun with your name on it can save you from hearing "Oh, so you are who this belongs to!" when you check at the shop.

As Amishman said, it's good for the guns you don't see everyday. I never bothered to look for anything you could find in the local shop. I was using Gunbroker for guns that you wouldn't call rare by any means, but might have taken a few trips to gun shows to find. I could have spent a lot of time and trouble that way and still may not have found them, but instead, I could run a search on Gunbroker and have several come up. If that wasn't enough to pick from, there would be more in a few days.

I haven't done it, but from what I've seen, if there is a new model gun out that you just have to have ASAP, I have seen them on Gunbroker before seeing them in the gun shop. Again, some calling and driving around could do that too, but whether that is better than using Gunbroker is up to the buyer.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    A LOT of the prices on Gunbroker are pretty high, but you can sometimes find a pretty good deal!!

Yes you sure do have to watch. When I first went there, I saw guns on there that looked interesting, but didn't know exactly what they were bringing since I didn't see them much outside of there. After watching a while and seeing what got relisted multiple times and what got sold quickly, you can figure that out. But you have to be willing to wait.
    It's still faster and easier than going to a dozen gun shows looking for something and only finding one or two in that time.

You see "auction fever", too. Someone watches or bids on a gun for a week and they feel they have some time invested in it, so when it starts climbing past the limit they set beforehand, they break down and start chasing it.
    It's like watching a basketball game. The score may be anything up to that point, but everything can change with a flurry of activity at the end. I don't pay much attention until then.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    You see "auction fever", too. Someone watches or bids on a gun for a week and they feel they have some time invested in it, so when it starts climbing past the limit they set beforehand, they break down and start chasing it.

:) I always get a kick out of seeing things go for more than the "Buy it Now" price.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have bought off of Gun Broker and Auction Arms many times and have gotten deals on both sites, this being said Auction Arms seems to have better prices most of the time!

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I think it's important to remember that GunBroker is just a broker. I know it's "obvious", but needs to be said. They don't sell firearms. All they do is put buyers and sellers together. GunBroker does its job very well. Pricing is set by the seller, however, and that shouldn't be held against them. If a price is too high, check another vendor. But remember, an item is only worth as much as someone is willing to spend!

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Good place to look, especially for the uncommon. Don't forget Auction Arms as they are good too and sometimes prices run less there.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I thought you had to have license to buy and sell on GB

No, but you have to have an FFL holder involved in the transfer/transaction on at least one end.
    From their site in the section on how to buy:
    You do not have to be a licensed dealer to buy a firearm. If you are not a licensed firearm dealer (also called an FFL Holder), you must make arrangements with an FFL Holder in your state to receive the item and transfer it to you. Virtually anyone who is involved in the sale or distribution of firearms is an FFL Holder, including gun shops. You must make arrangements with your FFL Holder before placing a bid on an item. By contacting the FFL Holder before bidding, the buyer can verify that all state and federal laws will be observed. For most firearms, the buyer must be able to pass a background check.

Hatchrooster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lumpkin,Co
    I've never tride them or bought any of their either.But I do like to get on and see how much some guns are going for to try and compare price's.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have purchased from there...I try to limit my purchases to people in the area.
    That way I can pick the firearm up in person. Some deals are ok...but many are overpriced.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    by the time you pay shipping and transfer fees, ya might as well go to a gun store. I find the best deals at gun shows, the Indy 1500 in particular.:ar15:

I've bought 2 Handguns (HK USPs) and 1 Rifle (Springfield SAR) off Gunbroker. Bought them far cheaper than what a local gun shop would have charged. No tax had to be paid and for $20 shipping and $20 transfer fee it is a no brainer. GB gets a +5 from me.....

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    All I can say is Auction Arms sucks. Got burnt "FRAUDED" for a grand and they will not help but send out contact emails. Unless the auction site is out a lot of $ then they intervine.

Gunroker though I have had good experiences no FRAUDS.
    Good luck.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I've bought several guns & parts off there w/ no problems. I look there for guns you don't usually find in the local stores, like my Marlin Camp 45. You have to shop to find the good deals & get past all the high prices. You also have to figure in shipping. Some people will charge $50 or more for shipping which really cuts into a deal.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Over 40 transaction and only 1 annoying jerk (a dealer on the East coast) Didn't cost me any money just annoyed me. I think that is pretty good odds... I buy locally if I can, but don't hesitate to shop there if I'm looking for something unusual.. I've also sold for myself and others without a hitch..

Top Bottom