• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

The ATF claims that the National Tracing Center is only authorized to trace a firearm for a law enforcement agency involved in a bona fide criminal investigation. This sounds very official, but gun owners across the country have heard stories of police running a trace on a firearm during a traffic stop. The ATF provides trace counts by category, which one may consider the reason for the trace.

The most common reasons for tracing a firearm in 2020 were possession of weapon (89,905) and firearm under investigation (74,264). Each of those dwarfs the number associated with aggravated assault (16,142), firing weapon (4,158), homicide (10,299), robbery (4,841), and simple assault (6,312).

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I recall asking for a trace during a traffic stop and was told I needed a valid reason. Didn't matter that the guy had no ID or permit. Times are changing.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

The ATF claims that the National Tracing Center is only authorized to trace a firearm for a law enforcement agency involved in a bona fide criminal investigation. This sounds very official, but gun owners across the country have heard stories of police running a trace on a firearm during a traffic stop. The ATF provides trace counts by category, which one may consider the reason for the trace.

The most common reasons for tracing a firearm in 2020 were possession of weapon (89,905) and firearm under investigation (74,264). Each of those dwarfs the number associated with aggravated assault (16,142), firing weapon (4,158), homicide (10,299), robbery (4,841), and simple assault (6,312).
    what is the definition of a "trace"?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

I found this article this might answer your question.
    So by "trace" they mean an attempt, likely doomed to failure, to track the ownership of a firearm?

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Once by upon a time a law enforcement officer ran the numbers on my J frame.
    He told me to be very cautious as the number was 2 digits off of a gun used in a homicide.
    I kept my thoughts to myself about him being 2 digits off on his academy training test.
    He had run the assembly numbers on the frame/crane area as opposed to the serial number covered by the extended grips on the butt.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Once by upon a time a law enforcement officer ran the numbers on my J frame.
    He told me to be very cautious as the number was 2 digits off of a gun used in a homicide.
    I kept my thoughts to myself about him being 2 digits off on his academy training test.
    He had run the assembly numbers on the frame/crane area as opposed to the serial number covered by the extended grips on the butt.
    Probably would not have been a good idea to point that out to him. He might have wanted to disassemble the gun and rerun the serial #.

Top Bottom