• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    If you live in the Elkhart area. Guns n Gear is closing. It is located behind Dan's Trailer Hitches next to the toll road north side. Drive past Dans on the north side and drive on the east side of his building turn south the back fenced in area witch is where Midwest trailers is. Guns and Gear behind the red door. :) Walked out with a brand new 17 Gen 4 Glock for 475.00 I don't remember everything but most of the powder is 25.00 a pound, primers are 25.00 a thousand. Some lee reloading dies, bullets. A good selection of Glocks and Xdm's 2 sigs, and some m&p's. Not many rifles left. Gen 4's were 475, Gen 3's were 440. Shields were 350 mostly .40's one 9mm. (this is what I originally was going for) Nice guys, I really liked them its a bad location for a gun store and the gun market has dropped off. I swore I would never buy a Glock but it fit the best out of all them and the aftermarket is just huge. I was going for a shield or a XDm but as much as I hate the Glock it fit the best.:xmad:

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Sorry to hear about a private business closing. Hopefully they will reopen in a better location? Especially if they are nice guys. We all want to see the "nice guys" succeed. That is probably a family income to somebody. Best of luck to them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I think it would be tough to operate a gun shop with all of the big box stores cutting the guts out of prices. Rural King has Ruger SR22's for sale for $299.00. That is almost wholesale price. You cant compete with that. A benefit a gun shop is after sales service and friendly customer service. Most big box gun sales are final. If you have an issue you are on your own. And typically the guy behind the counter is just the dunder head of the week. It sucks that they are closing for whatever reason. I hope they are able to regroup and give it another try.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it would be tough to operate a gun shop with all of the big box stores cutting the guts out of prices. Rural King has Ruger SR22's for sale for $299.00. That is almost wholesale price. You cant compete with that. A benefit a gun shop is after sales service and friendly customer service. Most big box gun sales are final. If you have an issue you are on your own. And typically the guy behind the counter is just the dunder head of the week. It sucks that they are closing for whatever reason. I hope they are able to regroup and give it another try.
    Not just the big box stores either. I was talking to my LGS owner. I mentioned to him some of the online prices I had been seeing (Wolf 7.62x30 for $199/thousand a few weeks ago, PSA selling Sig P938s for $499, etc.), he said he couldn't even buy at those prices much less sell at that amount.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Not just the big box stores either. I was talking to my LGS owner. I mentioned to him some of the online prices I had been seeing (Wolf 7.62x30 for $199/thousand a few weeks ago, PSA selling Sig P938s for $499, etc.), he said he couldn't even buy at those prices much less sell at that amount.

I hear ya. Gunbroker, Bud's, all the online outlets have really brought prices down. It is a free market society and they are free to make $5 on a gun sale if they wish.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    Sorry to see the little guys close BUT it is our fault. We save a few bucks buying on-line but the local guys loose out.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Big stores, online and places like Midwest that are basically selling at wholesale prices. Not surprised to see this, sad day when a local business closes.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Im torn between supporting the local shops vs online retailers,
    I look for Zenit, NPZ, and other misc Russian gear for Ak's etc, the local shops just dont carry anything for me to choose from, If they do its magpul, Crapco, or UTG. The suppliers are out there.
    My pistols have always been purchased from Bradis but my primary gear/needs/ some ammo cant be found here.
    I do support as much as possible.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Im torn between supporting the local shops vs online retailers,
    I look for Zenit, NPZ, and other misc Russian gear for Ak's etc, the local shops just dont carry anything for me to choose from, If they do its magpul, Crapco, or UTG. The suppliers are out there.
    My pistols have always been purchased from Bradis but my primary gear/needs/ some ammo cant be found here.
    I do support as much as possible.

No doubt there is a balance in cases like this that just have to exist, I concur.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've gone out of my way and knew I was spending too much to support a LGS. How much is too much?

I bought an 8lb jug of 4064 for $222. Online (if it were in stock) +shipping + the Hazmat fee and it still would have been cheaper. I was aware of the lengths the store owner went through just to have something in stock and I'm certain everybody in the middle had to make their share, but how much is too much?

I will continue supporting my local stores, but sometimes it just hurts.

Karl

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My family used to own a furniture store and it was the same story there; wholesalers don't want to deal with the small retailers so they offer better prices to the large retailers. Mom and pop stores struggle to survive in any type of business.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Gun market seems like its going down, i wonder if everyone stocked up and now we have a republican congress, i wonder if a lot of people feel like its not as big of a deal now, but with emporer oblamo, it wouldnt surprise me that he would just write up executive orders to ban guns. No one is stopping him on obamacare changes and amnesty, why wouldnt he just do it?

Top Bottom