• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been offered and have accepted a job selling firearms at gun shows. I can't go into a lot of details at this point because nothing has been nailed down yet but I need to start researching to determine which gun shows would be worth traveling for and which aren't. The Indy 1500 will be a no brainer since it's right here but I don't know anything about other shows around the state or shows in other states. From what I've heard the Louisville gun show and the Tulsa, OK are definitely worth traveling for. Just curious if any members can recommend other shows that would be worth looking in to?

I'll basically be able to bring as much inventory as I want and specifically what inventory I want. Most of what I move will probably be handguns due to logistics but I'd imagine there will be some rifles, shotguns, carbines as well. I've never worked in sales but I'm looking forward to getting up and running and hopefully I can turn it into a profitable endeavor for both myself and the owner of the company.

Any thoughts?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've been offered and have accepted a job selling firearms at gun shows. I can't go into a lot of details at this point because nothing has been nailed down yet but I need to start researching to determine which gun shows would be worth traveling for and which aren't. The Indy 1500 will be a no brainer since it's right here but I don't know anything about other shows around the state or shows in other states. From what I've heard the Louisville gun show and the Tulsa, OK are definitely worth traveling for. Just curious if any members can recommend other shows that would be worth looking in to?

I'll basically be able to bring as much inventory as I want and specifically what inventory I want. Most of what I move will probably be handguns due to logistics but I'd imagine there will be some rifles, shotguns, carbines as well. I've never worked in sales but I'm looking forward to getting up and running and hopefully I can turn it into a profitable endeavor for both myself and the owner of the company.

Any thoughts?
    Good luck!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    There are several good out of state shows that I could recommend, but you cannot sell any of the weapons you mention, when you are in a different state (except to another FFL holder), so it probably would not be worth your while. Just stick to the Indiana shows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Any thoughts?
    PM Alan at AA optics. He travels these shows and will have the best incite as to which ones are actually worth any real effort and what to avoid.
    Tell him the mouse sent you and if he does not hang up you are in.....:lmfao:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Any thoughts?
    "How many bullets does this gun hold?" Lol...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I worked shows back in the 70s 80s and 90s, always sold more small stuff than guns. Never had anything stolen off a table and spent most of the time answering NFA related questions.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I worked shows back in the 70s 80s and 90s, always sold more small stuff than guns. Never had anything stolen off a table and spent most of the time answering NFA related questions.
    I used to set up at the Indy 1500 for a couple of years, that's actually where I met the guy who started this forum and allowed him to put a stack of flyers on my table for the forum back when there were only a handful of guys on it.

While I'm looking forward to this it'll absolutely be hard work for me. Some may find this surprising but for me to put on a happy face and interact with people I don't know politely all day takes a LOT of energy and effort for me. :)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm a patient sort, and of the partners I was in business with I was probably best for public interaction. Some potential customers could be annoying like the ones that wanted to see the insides of suppressors and machine guns. I was always polite and explained that it was much easier just to pay the taxes and get the paperwork than to illegally modify the many SA guns that were around at that time. The most common being UZIs, TEC 9s, and SA MACs.

You're right, shows are hard work.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County

Any thoughts?
    I do shows almost every weekend with 20 to 30 tables depending on the show. You would have to pay me to do the 1500. It was a good show in the 90s (tables were only $45 back then, they are $100 now) but it's gone WAY downhill.

I don't sell firearms, so it might be different for you. I sell ammunition, magazines, reloading supplies and other accessories. For my business, I have the most success at CIG shows (Central Indiana Gunshows). They promote more shows in Indiana than any other promoter, and have a show practically every weekend. The problem you'll run into is that many of their shows are sold out of vendor tables, but if you keep trying you'll be able to get tables. You might have to start with less tables than you want and expand as more become available, but once you do a show, you can get tables at the next show in the same venue as long as you rebook the next show show while you are there.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Louisville/National Gun Day is amazing.

2. Highest volume show I have ever been to was a show in Saint Tony's Texas while at a class at TR. '

3. I like the Tipton show. Decent traffic but spaced out well.

4. Favorite show in Indiana is Crown Point. Great mix of people and dealers, clean washrooms, actual decent food, and high volume. You can do it in a few hours and then bounce to Griffith for late lunch, we usually hit New Oberpfalz.

5. I HOPE the new Lafayette show will be improved, but I always did well there, but I have no fear of being shot down especially on home court.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If it turns out you will/can go out of state, phylo, the Crossroads of the West gun show in Phoenix was always a good show, although I haven't been since Covid

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If it turns out you will/can go out of state, phylo, the Crossroads of the West gun show in Phoenix was always a good show, although I haven't been since Covid
    I do plan to travel out of state if things work out as hoped. I'd like to do a couple shows a month eventually.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Many dealers have mixed emotions about selling guns you don’t like to people they can’t stand or guns the customer don’t like but they can stand you.

Conundrum.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Many dealers have mixed emotions about selling guns you don’t like to people they can’t stand or guns the customer don’t like but they can stand you.

Conundrum.
    Yup.

First, let me just say that you’re gonna do great at this. Woe to bro’s checking accounts wherever you go.

1) Learn how to talk enough, but not too much, to any one individual. Build a relationship in 25 seconds, but be prepared to gently move on if the next shuffler actually needs something.

2) Learn yourself a little elevator speech on every weapon on the table…the good and the bad. I doubt that will take much work for you. :)

3) Check your ego at the door; there will occasionally be somebody come along who knows more than you do. Sort the difference quickly, and you can stroke that enough to maybe make a sale..or at least make sure they stop by your table every show.

4) Check your ideas on firearms ownership, employment, and politics at the door. Religion, too. You’re there to be frieeeends with e’rybody with a checkbook, and make sure you and your boss end up with some of those checks.

A lot of demographic groups own and buy weaponry. The SALES are easy to track, but the “just missed” sales that went on down the road because “JoeBob” the dealer was railing on about some sensitive topic… well, those are hard to know, because they just wander on by.

And there will surely be customers that canNOT not bring up some of those topics. (I swear, it’s a ****ing addiction) Agree or disagree, ya gotta shrug off long speaking engagements, and keep your eye on the prize: selling guns.

5) Carry a rag with a LITTLE MMO Or T-9 on it. Wipes off the acidic/salty fingerfu**s, but at least these two products don’t smell terrible. EEZOX is also good, but very much patchouli, so maybe not really what you’re going for.

Wiping and “maintaining” the firearms through the day demonstrates commitment and respect for the product. Crappy looking product just doesn’t sell as well.

6) Same vein: Keep the stocks of the long guns OUT of the aisle. People like to halfass put ‘‘em back on the table, and that can and does result in hips knocking a rifle off a table every now and then. Vomit-inducing clatter.

7) Wear a black synthetic polo. Incidental contact with oil/grease, etc from the product and/or trades will not show up much, and while Spray’n’Wash is good, a steam cycle with OxyClean spray seems to remove darn near anything from plastic fabrics.

8) Within the limits of your time per customer, leverage all of your experience to HELP, even if it doesn’t always produce a sale right then. They will remember, same as you and I remember some of the “old guys” from the shows of yesterday.

9) Never go anywhere without a business card and a smile because you never know what might come of it. Networking is funny that way. Oh, and get some INTERESTING business cards. (we all have a stack of the same black cards from all the gun shops)

10) Get to know the other dealers. Never go to get a Coke without buying one for your neighbor; humans are weird: that small $2 gesture can be worth many, many straps of C-notes. Many.

11) Assume, safety-wise, that every single person there knows nothing about gun safety, and is there to inadvertently kill you. Zip ties are cool, but make it pretty hard to functionally evaluate most weapons, but…

….never don’t check a chamber, double negative notwithstanding.

I believe you know my little story about rifle chambers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom