• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    There are a LOT of "gun products" out there. I know there are a lot of gun cleaning products, but I still like Hoppe`s, entirely because it smells like it did when I was 18, had just started hunting, and cleaned my 12 gauge or .22. I`ve been seeing a lot about gun scrubber, and wonder, what is the intended use? What guns would you use this one? What condition would they be in to require this stuff? How do you even use it?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I use Gun Scrubber (aka brake cleaner) on the bolt assembly of my AR after a range day. Speeds up the degunking process as they are covered in oil and soot. I might give the chamber an initial burst then follow up with normal cleaning. WHATEVER you use it on, follow it up with oil. That stuff sucks the oil from any finish it touches. If you don't reoil it, it will rust.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    When I clean my guns, the first thing I grab (after laying down my cleaning mat) is my jar of good ole hoppes #9!…then I open the bottle, take a sniff, then close the bottle and pit it away, and grab a can of gunslick foaming bore cleaner, cause I love the smell of hoppes, but there are better cleaners on the market!

The smell of takes me back to my youth setting next to my dad while he cleaned the guns with hoppes!

I also use Lucas bore and ultrasonic cleaner, I’ve got a cheap harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and I fill it with Lucas, and depending on the gun, I’ll put the whole thing in it and run a few cycles.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have used gun scrubber in the past on all metal parts. Like Denny mentioned up thread. Mostly bolt assemblies etc.
    I quit paying $9 dollars a can and just buy brake cleaner now, I believe it is the same product, just an upcharge for a label marked as a gun cleaner.
    I do keep it away from plastic and wood.
    I take bolt assemblies or other metal parts that can be removed. I put on some exam gloves and take them out to the garage, hold them over our garage trash can and blast them. It is great for removing carbon quickly. After a good hosing with gun scrubber/brake cleaner, I then clean with Shooter's Choice or Hoppes solvent and lubricate with Shooter's Choice FP10.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use Gun Scrubber (aka brake cleaner) on the bolt assembly of my AR after a range day. Speeds up the degunking process as they are covered in oil and soot. I might give the chamber an initial burst then follow up with normal cleaning. WHATEVER you use it on, follow it up with oil. That stuff sucks the oil from any finish it touches. If you don't reoil it, it will rust.
    I do the same. I use non chlorinated break cleaner. It makes cleaning up the star chamber so much easier.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hot take here but I love hilco. Its expensive but cleans dang near anything off any item. Just dont leave it on any polymer or itll damage it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It works great just don't get it on any wood or plastic or rubber parts.

I use whatever is handy on my bench. Kroil, pb blaster, marvel, carb or brake clean....matters none.

Top Bottom