• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I went to a fortune teller and she read my palm and said, "...Walmart had 9mm and 22lr bulk packs this morning, but me and the other fortune tellers bought it all up in 5 minutes."

Hey, they're fortune tellers. They know where and when to go.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think right now is a great time to buy and sell guns. The higher end guns have not gone up that much, while the more common consumer products have strong demand. For example a person can get all or even more then what they paid for Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, XDs, 870s, Commercial ARs, etc. In the past few months I have sold 9 firearms and ultimately ended up with a very nice custom AR and high end 1911. These are guns that I never dreamed I would ever be able to own.

It does stink right now for the new gun owner or those interested in getting started in this sport.

The ammo crunch is a burden and one I hope ends soon.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    In retrospect of this panic I believe it has tainted some firearms. People see 500 for an item that is running about 300-350 and they thing gouging. Granted I probably should of test fired before trading, but then again it was trade number 4 of finding something i would like for a long time.
    My wife and I do have the funds, but we live within our means. I would much rather do trading. Sure I may be adding some things that I bought thinking it was a keeper, but I believe the panic has now got people turned off by certain items. Regardless if you have a reasonable price and fairly represent your items.
    Like the other thread dealing with the classifieds I'm here more to learn and as a perk you have the option to sell when you put worth the effort to earn the reward. Yet because of some crazy people then and now we all suffer. Those like myself will have to keep trudging along bumping till something you really are looking for comes along, or just take a steep loss and sell for whatever you can get. Just my two cents from what I have seen since the panic as My wife and I were prepared and didn't really make any major purchases.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It's really unfortunate. Private sells are high because people who bought in the last year or two don't want to take a loss or get burned so when you offer an actually reasonable price they get mad. Retail prices are better than private party right now from what I've been able to find

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Until the "gun control" circus settles down, likely to see no noticeable drop in prices. Even after that, it is likely that the prices will not drop back to levels that were known. Kind of like gas prices. Once the public has adjusted and is willing to pay a higher price, why lower it?

Good point ultra...like with the price of gas. People have become desensitized to the price of ammo and will pay it. In the minds of the manufacturers and vendors "if people will pay it, keep selling it at greatly inflated prices.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Climate has changed now since April of this year. Look at the date ofy last post. Supply has caught up and retailers have product to move. Lot of lightly used guns for sale out there.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. Buying from a store is now cheaper than buying used. I actually had a guy tell me to "**** off" for offering him $525 for an xdm and showing him that sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore sells them for $559 with no shipping fees. People just don't want to take the loss when they bought at panic prices.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Yup. Buying from a store is now cheaper than buying used. I actually had a guy tell me to "**** off" for offering him $525 for an xdm and showing him that sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore sells them for $559 with no shipping fees. People just don't want to take the loss when they bought at panic prices.

Ive had a lot of this happen to me. I am sorry they paid a bunch for the weapon when they bought it but I'm not paying 800 for a 600 dollar ar15 or what ever other gun is out there. I can't wait till the prices settle. New buyers are being taken advantage of a lot these days

Guitargallegos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Pendleton
    Is there a buyers guide somewhere? I am new to firearms and want to make sure I'm not paying panic prices. I just got introduced to the sport/hobby and don't want to be wasteful with my money.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN

Not exactly, that XDm will cost you $699 at a couple of stores that I've seen. One being a big box store, the other, a well known gouger in the Ft Wayne area who is soon to be/or is out of business.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Is there a buyers guide somewhere? I am new to firearms and want to make sure I'm not paying panic prices. I just got introduced to the sport/hobby and don't want to be wasteful with my money.
    Just do some shopping around online and do some comparison. Buds seems to have some good prices on almost everything I'm into. Add on the transfer fee to get it here and go from there. Also it will be new and you don't have to worry about if someone took proper care of the weapon

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.

Sucks to be that guy. Buy it new then. Sounds like a very fair offer thou.

One can now build a nice AR for around $600 verses the gouge rate of $800+. Guns will always have an insintric value. A nice Raven 25 will be worth around $70 and a LNIB Pre-ban Polytech Legend AK will fetch over $2000. If you or I or anybody are willing to pay those prices is a different story. The key is not to get bent out of shape about gouge asking prices but to have a good laugh and move on.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Just treat it like you would any purchase, do your research check prices all over and begin to develop an idea what you should pay… If you have a friend who knows their stuff or been into guns awhile, running big purchases by them first is never a bad thing either.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    It does stink right now for the new gun owner or those interested in getting started in this sport.

I would agree. As a shooter who just got started in the second half of 2012, I was just getting started when prices and availability changed unfavorably. I have been fortunate enough to buy ammo in bulk to keep the price down, but looking for that next firearm acquisition is not as much fun as it was when prices were what they were in 2012. Regardless, as a newcomer to the various aspects of shooting, prices "are what they are" at this point for me. I feel this is similar to 16 year old just getting his drivers license and paying $3.00+ for a gallon of gas; 3x what I paid when i started.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Firearms will return to pre Sandy Hook hysteria prices.
    Ammo will not!
    Expect to pay current, or higher prices for "gun food" in the foreseeable future.
    The ammo makers have set the bar and they aren't about to drop it.
    Also expect a ban, or at least a hefty tariff, on imported ammo.
    Sudden, and expensive, shortages of ammunition components are also likely.
    That will ensure that the domestic ammo makers, and their raw material suppliers, get to keep their current lucrative profit margin.
    (They're in business to make money. Not to make us happy.)
    The people who fell into firearms and ammo buying panic mode have given the ammo producers data that would have taken them years to collect by themselves.
    That data shows what prices the shooting Public will tolerate to get ammo for their hobbies/sports.
    As long as ammo buyers are in a "Damn the price. I want my bullets." mode we will continue to see "shortages" of the most popular calibers.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not in this area. In Lake County (NW IN) the standard transfer fee is $50. I've seen $75, and I found one who would do it for $30.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not exactly, that XDm will cost you $699 at a couple of stores that I've seen. One being a big box store, the other, a well known gouger in the Ft Wayne area who is soon to be/or is out of business.

Used prices aren't based on what stores who gouge prices charge, and they certainly aren't based on what people who don't shop around pay. They're based on the cheapest I can buy a new product. Just because some idiot paid $700 for a $560 gun doesn't make his used gun worth more than what you can buy a new one from an authorized dealer.

Sucks to be that guy. Buy it new then. Sounds like a very fair offer thou.

I most certainly will. That, or I'll wait for a good deal.

Top Bottom