• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am a big fan of the MP5, so with that said....I'm already jealous. Here are some reviews...

"Just Like the MP-5, But in .22!"
    Here's a brief review of the GSG-5, after about a week hands-on with the rifle. In a few months when we've flogged it with tens of thousands of rounds, I'll write a follow-up to this article giving our long-term impressions and conclusions about the GSG-5, and a bunch more SBR/suppressor options. Enjoy!

The GSG-5 is essentially an MP5 implemented in .22LR.

http://demigodllc.com/link.php?src=/articles/gsg-5-mp5-in-22-lr/&ad=lapua2

The GSG-5 ships with a fixed stock fake suppressor to hide the 16-inch barrel. Import approval was easier because it's rimfire.
    I don't review a lot of.22LR guns. Ok, I'll be honest- I don't shoot .22 that much nowadays and this is the first .22 I've done a review for. There's nothing wrong with the .22, and I spent a lot of time growing up shooting soda cans, rocks, and old skateboard wheels with a 10/22. These days, I shoot a lot of "practical" matches and do some tactical training, so the .22's have been off my radar. However, in the last six months, as a result of the skyrocketing ammunition prices, I've been asked by a couple shooters if we had a .22 class in our local 3-Gun matches. Furthermore, for basic marksmanship and weapons-handling practice, a .22 can be a very affordable alternative to the centerfire weapons we would prefer to shoot.

The GSG-5
    I stepped into our local Cop Shop and Black Rifle Emporium, aka, Jensen Arms and its owner Bob Jensen handed me something that looked like an HK MP5, but had .22LR stamped on it. "The GSG-5," he said, "this is the only one not locked in the importer's office right now. You should review it." I know better than to refuse a chance to play with a new and neat-looking gun, so here we are.

American Tactical Imports, Exclusive Importer

Without having both guns side by side to compare, the GSG-5 is practically identical to a real MP5 (pictured).
    Bob gave me the number for Amchar's President and CEO Tony DiChario, so I gave him a call. Amchar is one of the largest gun wholesalers in the country, and a primary (but not sole) distributor of the GSG-5 in the US. The GSG-5 is actually imported by American Tactical Imports, a related company, of which Tony is also the CEO.

The GSG-5 is manufactured by German Sport Guns. According to Tony, GSG employs a bunch of folks who used to work at HK, who have a passion for designing .22LR versions of the world's best weapons. Ever since the British SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy in 1980, the MP5 has been one of the most well-known tactical weapons. With very few "MP5-like" guns available in the U.S., it was a natural choice with a big latent demand. Tony also told me that GSG was responsible for the design of the SIG Moqsuito. Besides rimfire, GSG also builds airsoft versions of popular weapons. The GSG-5 was designed from scratch to be a very close replica to the MP5. The controls are identical. The appearance is very close, and unless you have a real MP5 right there to compare against, you'd be hard pressed to find the differences.

Here's more.....http://demigodllc.com/articles/gsg-5-mp5-in-22-lr/

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Jason,

Simon6101 often shoots his at FNS. He is also quite knowledgeable on rimfires overall. Might be worth a PM in case he misses this thread or to see if he's shooting it at the next FNS.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    if just for a plinker... thats fine... if its your first .22 and you want to use it to learn fundementals and go bang ALMOST everytime... go with a 10/22 way more accessories and cheaper to mod... cheaper to start out with too... mags for the gsg are almost twice as much as 10/22's and when you find reviews that are good you will notice they dont post targets with them... the 10/22 will be more accurate hands down.... my vote is go with a 10/22 and mod it to something tacticool for the same money as the gsg

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    if just for a plinker... thats fine... if its your first .22 and you want to use it to learn fundementals and go bang ALMOST everytime... go with a 10/22 way more accessories and cheaper to mod... cheaper to start out with too... mags for the gsg are almost twice as much as 10/22's and when you find reviews that are good you will notice they dont post targets with them... the 10/22 will be more accurate hands down.... my vote is go with a 10/22 and mod it to something tacticool for the same money as the gsg

With the carbine 10/22 it won't be much more accurate than a 10/22.

My 16" 10/22 will shoot 3 rounds into a nickle at 25 yards with tech sights. Did it repeatedly at apple seed. Even got some dime sized.

Keep in mind that while my GSG5 is grouping half dollars at 25 yards it's with the factory sights, the weaker stocks prevent me from torquing down with a sling and the 25 round mags basically prevent me form shooting prone. Also this was with remington bulk packed ammo, unlike the much higher priced CCI's I was shooting at appleseed.

-My GSG5 is BY FAR more reliable than my 10/22's.

-It is almost as accurate as a 16" 10/22 but I have no way of actually testing it right now (like I can by vice slinging my 10/22 with a short/flush) mag. Having put 10 rounds into a half dollar coin sized area, that's going to be accurate enough for virtually everyone.

-It's cool. Very cool.

I've put roughly 2,000 rounds thru mine (+/-200). The only weakness of it is the cheap bulk packs of ammo I keep feeding it. Had a couple of dud primers.

I love my GSG5. It goes with me on every shooting trip now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I don't know much about the gsg, but I agree with the 10/22 comments, especially the "ALMOST every time" part.
    I still think we should trade barrels.:D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have the GSG-5P and the GSG-5PK and love them. They shoot reasonably accurately and perform well for me with decent ammo. I plan on turning my GSG-5PK into an SBR when I get around to it.

For the price, the GSG-5s are a ton of fun. You can shoot them all day for a few bucks. They are much easier to find now than just a few months ago.

Here is my GSG-5P:

gsg5ACOG.jpg

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    My dad bought one of these screwed-together POSs and it actually shoots pretty well. I was shooting shotgun shells at 50 yards, standing with the standard irons- the quick aperture too.

I can't wait to see how she functions after 500 rounds. She started choking last time we took it out- probably 150 rounds through her...

Bigum- do I spy a $1400 optic on a $500 gun?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My buddy JUMPED on one of these when they first came out, paid a super low price that had gone up a hundred just by the time it was delivered. Its a fun gun to shoot, it's accurate enough to be entertaining. I think the trigger is junk, toy-gun-ish, but it's good enough for a plinker. They are much heavier than you'd expect if you havn't handled one yet. Someone said they feel cheap, i thought they felt surprisingly solid. Finish does seem to be wearing quickly. Hasn't failed much, maybe a couple FTE's, but, again, pretty good.

I'd say it's mostly a toy that shoots bullets. But toy's put smiles on faces.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    One of the best purchases I've made, Have the GSG5L. It has shot everything I've fed into it without a single problem. Solid, well built and accurate as I can be.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Statement, sorry. I just meant guns are screwed together or pinned together.

The first thing I did with my GSG was drop it on the ground. Not a scratch on it. They're pretty solid.

Top Bottom