• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    just wonderin if anyone else has ever shot a whistle pig out of a tree before? We've been shooting a few at work and whenever i tell someone i've shot 3 out of trees they look at me like i have 3 eyes.:dunno:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    hogs

youve been shooting at work? i thought you worked in the city limits? what happen to the no guns on the property rule?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Have shot several out of trees over the years. Usually will only climb smaller trees with either limbs close to the ground, or a trunk that leans a little. Rare to find climbers, usually will be a family group.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    kinda freaked me out the first time I seen one climb a tree. have seen several climb trees since. seems they are not the best of climbers but will climb to get away from something.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    No, wow I had no idea, I have like a never ending supply of big old fat grey ones "waddling" around my house, I live in the limits so I use my bow. never seen one climb yet.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay ... a whistle pig in a tree is telling me we all need decent quality air rifles.

On the other hand, is an air rifle enough gun for one of those bruisers? Some of the big ones have to be 30 pounds or more. They make a big house cat look like a kitten.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I don't know if an air rifle would do it,, however I have heard that they are hemophiliacs or wtfe and if you can make them bleed they will bleed to death and the others will smell the blood and leave... any truth to this anyone know?
    Thats what this guy told me, they were under my shed, he said to take a 4 ft. florescent bulb and smash in in their hole, he said they would walk on it cut their feet up bleed to death and any left would leave....????I just shoot'm with the bow like I said but...

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    hogs

did it sound like the one you shoot friday with a .22? so how many confirmed do you have compared to cowboy?:moon:

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    whistle pigs

Wmitchel is right, I have shot them repeadedly with a pellet air rifle that shoots somewhere around 1000 feet per second and it did not do the trick at all. However, a good sighted in 22lr at about 25 or 35 yds definitly does the trick on those pests.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I shot three or four every summer in upstate NY. They kept tearing up my wife's garden and a Marlin 60 was their ticket to hell.
    I think if I ever saw one in a tree, I'd go back to sniffing glue.:D

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    If I remember right, I read somewhere that ground hogs are a member of the squirrel family. The young ones make for some mighty fine eating. Later, Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, they are rodents. Biga** rodents, though. I think beavers and the South American capybara are the only rodents that get bigger than groundhogs.

I think they are exclusively vegetarian too, which is one reason why they probably taste good.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Oh yeah. Have seen plenty climb trees as a kid in TN. Freaked me out the first time too. Went running in the house asking my Grandfather if he knew of a 10 pound squirrel in his back yard! He laughed and let me start shooting them out of the garden. .22 does a fine job.

Top Bottom