• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I just moved near downtown Bloomington, and have 2 large ground hogs living in the backyard. I'm a little worried about the noise from my 22, even with shorts. Anyone have any experience with trapping these?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    They're pretty smart and tend to avoid live traps. All I can tell you is to make sure you get a big enough trap. They flat will not go into one that is undersized. Also make sure you bait it with something they like. Fresh veggie scraps work well, make sure you use veggies that are aromatic like celery and squash.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    these guys are not a bit afraid of me. I'm sure I could pull off a 20' head shot with my old winchester pump. I just haven't had much luck killing stuff with a cb. Need to pony up the time and money for a silencer.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Our area is invested with ground hogs. I have trapped and killed over 26 ground hogs over the past couple of years. I get rid of a few and more move in under my mini barn. We have learned to funnel them through one opening and place cabbage in the trap. With the folage fading with the time of year, it should be a little easier to trap them. We have shot and killed them with a pump up bb rifle to using sub sonic 22 rounds. The younger ones are easy to kill with an air rifle that has a volicity of around 1100 fps. The old and larger ones need to be shot with at least a 22. You must shoot them in the head through the soft areas to get a quick kill. Good luck with your extermination of these pests.

Carrion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    Do you have something around you don't want to trap?

If not (ie no pets) then a 220 conibear is the way to go. Live trapping is one of those feel good things to do. It helps transmit disease, and it isn't like there are great groundhog habitats that aren't already occupied by other groundhogs.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    If you are living in a congested neighborhood, I would really stick to a live trap and then you can relocate to the country to dispose of the trapped game in any form that you choose. If you use a regular trap and trap the neighbors cat and they find out, you could find your self in hot water.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Try to use snares at the openings were you know they are coming in and out,set low on a bent heavy gauge wire ,you are giong for foot catches,they will push the snare out of the way with their bodies.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Try to use snares at the openings were you know they are coming in and out,set low on a bent heavy gauge wire ,you are giong for foot catches,they will push the snare out of the way with their bodies.

Use electric guitar strings. Feed the string through the hollow ball. They come 6 to a pack in different gauges for different size game, pack small, and are inexpensive. :rockwoot:

PC190934.jpg

Top Bottom