• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've got a crazy case of cabin fever and thought I'd spend some time tinkering. I've started some 'stock removal' of a piece of scrap welding steel for fun. Thought I'd practice on some cheap metal to see how I liked the craft. I'm using mainly hand tools. I think I might try to make a jig of sorts to hand file a flat grind. Anyone out there made anything to much success? I don't have access to a slack belt sander so I thought I would try attaching a mill file to a bar ran through a eyelet to keep the degree relatively even.

It's just some 3/16 bar stock

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    2x6 approx 20" on length, draw a center line along the length. At one end drill three 1/4" on that line holes on center, 1" apart. buy a 1/4"x2" and a 1/4"x4" eyelet bolt.

one the other end draw to a line 1/2" and 1" in from the edge, square from the center line. drill 1/4" holes alone those two lines 1" apart. buy 1/4"x1 1/2" machine head bolts for stops.

Make sure to heat your steel (if using cheap lowes hot rolled) up using a torch so a magnet won't stick to it and let it air cool. Otherwise that stuff is hard and you will be filing for days.

You can order 36" of 1095 from NJ steel baron or Jantz for pretty cheap.

attach a mill bastard and single cut file to a 3/8" piece of rod longer than the whole jig using hose clamps.

BAM. Simple jig. I've made 6 knives on mine and it works. Just started working on a belt grinder this week. The jig and files make it nearly impossible to screw a bevel up, but it takes hours compared to the grinder.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Would you happen to have available or be able to take a picture of your jig for me? I figured it would take a significant amount of time, but I don't want to sink much $ into it until I think it's a hobby that will stick. Do you recommend 1095 as a 'starter' metal? I've read 1080 and O-1 are OK starters for stock removal.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    The jig takes 15 mins to make, and done for about 20.00. 1095 is cheaper than 0-1, both IMO are easy to temper and anneal. Although getting a heat treat right is definitly a learning experience all in it's own. However my first knife using a MAP torch and some fire bricks has skinned and cleaned some deer, split wood, and opened several beers... It's holding up fine. My more recent attempts are much improved in all areas.

I will snap a pic of my jig tomorrow, or just look at some my threads of knives I made. Started about 3 months ago. Excellent hobby for me, I really enjoy it.

Top Bottom