• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Greg1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2023
    Central Indiana
    Good day to everyone out there in Indiana Gun Owners land! I am in the process of dialing in exactly what I want or need for my first gun purchase but for now I will tell you more about me. I live about 40 miles north of Indianapolis. I am closer to 50 then I am 49 that just doesn't seem possible lol. I am the facilities manager for a large company. So far in my pursuit of gun ownership I have taken a basic handgun course and have also taken a private lesson. At this point in time I am looking for a gun for home defense at this point I don't feel I need to EDC but with the way the world is moving it very well could be necessitated in the future. In some of the research I have done and conversations I have had I am leaning towards a short barrel shotgun but I also think I would like to own either a .380 or 9mm pistol as well. I live in a small house but with that said its 2 story with bedrooms on the second floor. Unfortunately the budget isn't going to allow me to be a consumer of the higher end guns out there. At this point my mindset is where I hope that I never need but glad to have it instead of needing it and wishing I had it. I apologize for the long winded intro and glad I have found this group. Hope everyone has a great day!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Welcome to INGO from NWI. I wish you luck in the search for the right firearm for you. Sounds like your well on your way to becoming a responsible gun owner.

In case you haven't read them yet please read the rules of the forum as well as the classifieds in the link below

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Excellent introduction post.
    You should have no problem locating either a .380 or 9mm pistol.
    They are both pretty much everywhere.
    The problem can lie in obtaining ammunition at a reasonable cost.
    It shouldn't be a problem at all with 9mm, but the .380 can be scarcer on the shelf, and it's almost always more expensive than 9mm.
    Sometimes MUCH more expensive.

Some say a " short-barreled shotgun" is a bad idea for a new shooter.
    It can be intimidating, but with practice and attention to detail, something like the Remington Tac14 or the Mossberg Shockwave are formidable weapons and can be very effective if used properly.

Whatever you decide to get, please don't just fire a box of shells and put it in a closet.
    Buy a case of shells with the gun and practice, practice, practice...

Oh yeah, welcome to Ingo from Lafayette.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Welcome from Boone County.

@Greg1

Find a range with a well stocked rental counter. Time spent there will be some of the best money you'll spend in selecting a pistol.

If you are in facilities maintenance you likely have enough mechanical skill and knowledge to select a used firearm with a reasonable level of risk, once you find the firearms which you like, searching for a used one can save you substantial money.

You may not want or need a short barreled shotgun, which is a tax stamp NFA item. Rather, a nice 18" cylinder bore pump shotgun is probably all you'll need. A Mossberg 500 ( or its cheaper cousin Maverick 88), Remington 870, or older Ithaca or Winchester would likely serve your needs. As a bonus other barrels are available for recent manufacture Mossbergs and Remingtons which allows you to widen the utility of a shotgun.

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    :welcome: Nice first post and you are going about it correctly by taking some classes first. A pump shotgun such as a
    Remington 870 with an 18" barrel would be good for home defense. Avoid those shotguns that only
    have a pistol grip. They look cool. Find a range with rental guns and pick one of known manufacture that
    fits your hand the best.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good day to everyone out there in Indiana Gun Owners land! I am in the process of dialing in exactly what I want or need for my first gun purchase but for now I will tell you more about me. I live about 40 miles north of Indianapolis. I am closer to 50 then I am 49 that just doesn't seem possible lol. I am the facilities manager for a large company. So far in my pursuit of gun ownership I have taken a basic handgun course and have also taken a private lesson. At this point in time I am looking for a gun for home defense at this point I don't feel I need to EDC but with the way the world is moving it very well could be necessitated in the future. In some of the research I have done and conversations I have had I am leaning towards a short barrel shotgun but I also think I would like to own either a .380 or 9mm pistol as well. I live in a small house but with that said its 2 story with bedrooms on the second floor. Unfortunately the budget isn't going to allow me to be a consumer of the higher end guns out there. At this point my mindset is where I hope that I never need but glad to have it instead of needing it and wishing I had it. I apologize for the long winded intro and glad I have found this group. Hope everyone has a great day!!
    Welcome. It sounds like you are doing it right! :yesway:You might want to get some kind of secure storage container, if you have untrained guests come in occasionally or have young untrained children. It's also a good idea to keep them locked up when you are not at home, as in, during work hours.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You are on the right track with training before you buy.

A lot of the indoor ranges rent weapons. Try before you buy! Try different weapons until you find one you like to shoot and understand how it functions. Make sure you are comfortable both manipulating it and shooting it.

Training on INGO itself involves reading the rules. Please do so, to better understand our community.
    Welcome to INGO from Hamilton county.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom