• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Last weekend did another stuffed pork loin. Bacon, cheddar, pimento, jalapeño, and sautéed mushroom. Sadly forgot to take an after pic.
    m3g1RP.jpg

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Did a Bacon-Wrapped Barbecue Meatloaf on the smoker last week for the guys at work.
    20150526_094100_zpsfwz6w1bq.jpg

20150526_121231_zpsjcfc9wes.jpg
    20150526_145914_zpselq6vilo.jpg

Edit: Not sure why the small pictures, Did it the same way I always do...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Looks awesome and I'm not a meat loaf guy. I have to check an extra "link directly" thing when I post a URL or I get the little pics.

Yes, Im not a big meatloaf guy either, but Ive done brisket, pork butt, ribs, chickens, etc on my smoker and the meatloaf is my favorite. Just the way it turns out is awesome.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife brought home three big ol' ribeye steaks this afternoon. I'm going to give an honest reverse sear a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

The wings look yummy!

On a side note, my wife was in Carmel today and stopped by a church fundraiser. Nelson's Catering was setup up serving chicken. Apparently they have a coal fired rotisserie that pulls the chicken through seasoning on every rotation (according to my wife). I don't know exactly what they're doing but she brought me a half chicken home and it was hands down the best BBQ chicken I have ever had. I've had juicer chicken but not much and the flavor was amazing. They have a page on their website to see where and when they will be set up. I highly recommend finding them if they're going to be close to you, it was truly amazing.

Nelson's BBQ and Catering

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    On a side note, my wife was in Carmel today and stopped by a church fundraiser. Nelson's Catering was setup up serving chicken. Apparently they have a coal fired rotisserie that pulls the chicken through seasoning on every rotation (according to my wife). I don't know exactly what they're doing but she brought me a half chicken home and it was hands down the best BBQ chicken I have ever had. I've had juicer chicken but not much and the flavor was amazing. They have a page on their website to see where and when they will be set up. I highly recommend finding them if they're going to be close to you, it was truly amazing.

I LOVE NELSON'S CHICKEN! It is so good!

A couple years ago they came out with "Pit-tatoes" which are small potatoes made the same way as the chicken. They are delicious. I had some just today for lunch!

I haven't tried their Ribs or Pork Chops, but I'm guessing they will be good as well.

Nelson's is based in my area, and I think someone from my church has driven for them as well.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I'd love to know more about the seasonings they use and their method for cooking, it was outstanding.

Some cooks use the same cooker for making prom burgers, runs them through the brine then back through the charcoal cooker several times, makes great moist meats yet still retains the smokeness.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My wife brought home three big ol' ribeye steaks this afternoon. I'm going to give an honest reverse sear a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

The wings look yummy!

Once you smoke a steak you will never be satisfied with a grilled steak, I find it doesn't take much if any of the reverse sear to get a great steak, if you don't need the pretty grill marks to be happy then you can just do a hotter smoke season and pull off the perfect steak.

I am going to start working on using the offset smoker to make smoked steaks, I believe the trick is going to be using a much higher temp (more air flow) to get a 45min-1hr cook vs the 4-8hr smokes that you are used to. Should give the perfect cook.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm planning to let them get to room temp before I start. I'll season them an hour or so before I begin the cook as I usually do. Indirect 250* heat until they hit 120* then pull them and let them rest under foil while I get the BGE up to 650* or so. One minute per side to sear em, drop a bit of butter on top when I pull them again and let them rest ten minutes before we eat. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I normally cook steaks around 450* or so and toss on some pecan ships or a chunk just before I put them on so they have a smoky flavor.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Chez your work bench is a great idea! There never seem to be enough horizontal surfaces available when grilling/smoking!

Phylo you said you let your ribeyes get to room temp before throwing them to the coals; I attended a bbq "boot camp" a few years ago and asked about this practice. Their take on it was that you should go straight from fridge to grill/smoker as the meat will absorb more smoke flavor. This is due to the fact that the meat stops absorbing flavor once it hits an internal temp of around 150 or so, so the longer it takes to reach that internal temp the more flavor is absorbed. What are your thoughts? Obviously your ribeyes were no doubt delicious just wondering if you'd come up with your process thru comparisons.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Chez your work bench is a great idea! There never seem to be enough horizontal surfaces available when grilling/smoking!

Phylo you said you let your ribeyes get to room temp before throwing them to the coals; I attended a bbq "boot camp" a few years ago and asked about this practice. Their take on it was that you should go straight from fridge to grill/smoker as the meat will absorb more smoke flavor. This is due to the fact that the meat stops absorbing flavor once it hits an internal temp of around 150 or so, so the longer it takes to reach that internal temp the more flavor is absorbed. What are your thoughts? Obviously your ribeyes were no doubt delicious just wondering if you'd come up with your process thru comparisons.

I go straight from fridge to smoker when I'm doing a low & slow cook of brisket, pulled pork, etc. but for the reverse sear I'm not really concerned with absorbing as much smoke as necessary, I want the meat to cook as even as possible until its time to sear.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I'm planning to let them get to room temp before I start. I'll season them an hour or so before I begin the cook as I usually do. Indirect 250* heat until they hit 120* then pull them and let them rest under foil while I get the BGE up to 650* or so. One minute per side to sear em, drop a bit of butter on top when I pull them again and let them rest ten minutes before we eat. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I normally cook steaks around 450* or so and toss on some pecan ships or a chunk just before I put them on so they have a smoky flavor.
    What level of doneness are you trying to hit? FME doing reverse sear they seem to climb about 10* while resting waiting for the heat to kick up on the egg. Hitting them for an additional minute high heat might put you more towards medium well when done and serving

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Steaks are just about up to room temperature

AA6C440B-88A6-4BF2-8EFC-684DA36969C7_zpstcsphtq9.jpg

The magic has been generously applied

9D028BBB-ED58-450A-AB03-08E9EBEB9E8D_zpsjnu81lkc.jpg

The beans have been on since morning

3148B68B-CAC4-42A6-8A93-55A344328DB2_zps5uy47cyq.jpg

And the Big Green Egg is coming up to temp with a few small chunks of pecan on standby. I've got high hopes for this method.

Top Bottom