• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So, my wife and I are excited that our daughter will be delivering our first grandchild probably within the next 2 weeks (she's due on New Year's Eve). Since none of us are guaranteed another day or minute on this Earth, I want to get a .22 for my grandson to learn to shoot with down the road when he's old enough.
    Right now, I'm leaning towards a Henry lever action. But am open to other suggestions that maybe a better option. So what are your thoughts?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    A henry would be great down the road but I personally don't think a great choice for a first rifle to learn on. They're not light and I personally believe a single shot bolt action is the perfect rifle for a young shooter, but I guess all depends on what age and size they are when they start out.

Started mine with a savage rascal but a cricket or chipmunk are another viable option as a "first rifle" She was almost 5 at the time but started her out with a red Ryder bb gun to learn safe handling first at age of 4.

20160417_121135.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Man a levers gonna be heavy for a little kid.
    I would suggest you get him a kids/micro not youth but kids rifle, like the Cricket, Chipmonk or the Rascal from Savage.
    I bough mine both Chipmonks that are single shot and it has to be cocked manually each time to shoot it. Great very attractive rifles that are truly child size. you will have sore finger long before your kids will want to stop shooting.
    It takes an adult to cock both of my sons rifles.
    If you pick a rifle thats bigger than needed he will have to shoot it off a bench or a sandbag and its just not fun after a bit. Buy one that he can hold up and shoot like an adult. Have some class with him and then make it fun, don't forget the fun, buy spinners, splatter targets, 22 targets that blow up.
    If whats available today was available almost 20 years ago, I would buy a cock on open Savage I believe. Get a few pair of cheap battery muffs and make sure you order a kid sized pair along with kids safety glasses.
    We had a blast the first few years with those rifles, one is in 22LR and the other is in 17M2, they are both in a safe now awaiting a future kid in the family to use them.
    Please post when its time to take him shooting, gifts for the kid may just show up in the mailbox.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ruger 10/22.

Sorry but I started mine on a bolt gun and she soon got bored with it!

Get a basic 10/22 and that is something they will keep forever. They won't out grow it and can modify it for whatever their tastes are at the time.

There is only so much you can do with a rascal. 10/22 with an axon adjustable stock and it will grow with them.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate the insights of prior experience.
    Here's where I'm coming from. I first learned to shoot when I was 9yo with my dad's Browning BL22 and his S&W 617 with 6" barrel with full underlug. When I was 10, I learned to shoot clays with my granddad's shotgun that my dad inherited. Since my grandad passed when I was barely a year old, I want to make sure there's something tucked away that the boy will hopefully appreciate. If I'm blessed to see him grow up and shoot with him all the more awesome it will be.
    So, I already plan to get something like a cricket that I plan to keep for any other grandkids that may come along. But, my plan is if the good Lord blesses me in such a way I will tuck something away for each of them as they come.
    So I probably should have clarified what I meant by first gun. It will be the first gun that will hopefully be wrapped and under a tree some future Christmas. That means I'm looking for something that they can keep and enjoy the rest of their life.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I appreciate the insights of prior experience.
    Here's where I'm coming from. I first learned to shoot when I was 9yo with my dad's Browning BL22 and his S&W 617 with 6" barrel with full underlug. When I was 10, I learned to shoot clays with my granddad's shotgun that my dad inherited. Since my grandad passed when I was barely a year old, I want to make sure there's something tucked away that the boy will hopefully appreciate. If I'm blessed to see him grow up and shoot with him all the more awesome it will be.
    So, I already plan to get something like a cricket that I plan to keep for any other grandkids that may come along. But, my plan is if the good Lord blesses me in such a way I will tuck something away for each of them as they come.
    So I probably should have clarified what I meant by first gun. It will be the first gun that will hopefully be wrapped and under a tree some future Christmas. That means I'm looking for something that they can keep and enjoy the rest of their life.
    Then you've already hit on the answer with the Henry.
    It will become an heirloom.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ruger 10/22.

Get a basic 10/22 and that is something they will keep forever. They won't out grow it and can modify it for whatever their tastes are at the time.

There is only so much you can do with a rascal. 10/22 with an axon adjustable stock and it will grow with them.
    The problem is starting at an early age with a rifle that they cant hold up much less carry it around, is no fun for the child in a quick way. A $200.00 rifle is nothing more than a starter rifle to learn on and either sell or like us, we greased them up and into a safe they went for fun on occasion or the next generation to use. I paid under 150.00 a piece for the two I bought plus the scope on one of them. Its a starting rifle, as a starting firearm thats not the time to put them in something that doesn't fit them.
    Would any of the guys here that believe a child should start with full sized or a youth rifle buy themselves a rifle that had a 16" fixed length of pull, when you are 5'11" with 32" sleeves?
    Do the next generation a favor, buy what fits them in the first place.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The problem is starting at an early age with a rifle that they cant hold up much less carry it around, is no fun for the child in a quick way. A $200.00 rifle is nothing more than a starter rifle to learn on and either sell or like us, we greased them up and into a safe they went for fun on occasion or the next generation to use. I paid under 150.00 a piece for the two I bought plus the scope on one of them. Its a starting rifle, as a starting firearm thats not the time to put them in something that doesn't fit them.
    Would any of the guys here that believe a child should start with full sized or a youth rifle buy themselves a rifle that had a 16" fixed length of pull, when you are 5'11" with 32" sleeves?
    Do the next generation a favor, buy what fits them in the first place.
    That's why I said and Axon stock.

It is adjusted like an AR stock so as they grow you just adjust the stock. You do you.

Just offering advice from what I learned from my daughter.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've never seen a 16" length. Huh. My son was five and the Henry fit him just fine. They aren't heavy, nor large rifles. Calm down. My nephews all got them too. AND STILL SHOOT THEM.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ruger 10/22.

Again a micro, is a starter rifle, its not a lifetime rifle for a child.
    How old was she when you put her in a 4 lb rifle?

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom