• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I'm picking up my tractor Wednesday (Kubota B2320). It's coming with a bush hog, tiller and front end loader. My yard is a bumpy mess and in need of some serious leveling out. I plan to till it up, level it out and plant some new tall fescue. I also have a gravel driveway (or what's left of one) which needs some new material laid down and properly spread out. So should I be looking to add a box blade or a scraper blade to my collection of implements? Hoping some more experienced folks can help me out here, I've never even driven a tractor before lol but I don't recall being more excited about anything in the past 20 years.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I am NOT an operator but do own a little bit bigger Kubota, I already had a box so opted for the blade. I use the box a lot and have never used the blade, that's after 3 years of ownership. YMMV.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    So I'm picking up my tractor Wednesday (Kubota B2320). It's coming with a bush hog, tiller and front end loader. My yard is a bumpy mess and in need of some serious leveling out. I plan to till it up, level it out and plant some new tall fescue. I also have a gravel driveway (or what's left of one) which needs some new material laid down and properly spread out. So should I be looking to add a box blade or a scraper blade to my collection of implements? Hoping some more experienced folks can help me out here, I've never even driven a tractor before lol but I don't recall being more excited about anything in the past 20 years.

box blade.....then get a angle blade for snow removel....

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Before we had our 400' driveway asphalted I used a blade turned backwards to remove snow and fill in a few holes with our Kubota. I used my neighbor's box to level the stone on the complete driveway and found the box to leave a much nicer finish to the stone. The blade has a place as does the box. If I had to pick one it would be the box.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Sturdiest you can find that the the tractor is rated for. Catch a stump or large rock just right and the pieces above the box are bendable on the less sturdy models. Hard to unbend.

A blade can be useful but it needs to be mounted under the tractor like a grader with hydraulics to really be any fun.:):

Woods is reputable. Kubota stuff is usually made by land pride. Compare steel thickness and warrantee. You CAN break or bend about any of them.. Dragons teeth are a plus. When you put them up in storage position make sure they clear the tires. Face them backwards. Backing up with the teeth facing up and forward cost my little brother a tire one day.

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    When I was looking I noticed that the beefier and better built ones all had curved(concave) blades on the front and back of the box. The cheaper ones were just flat stock.
    Used a box and front loader to maintain a one mile gravel private road and 1/4 mile drive to my hunting property for 9 years.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Try a rollover box blade. I have one made by ford. The blades/ripper (front/back/ripper) rotate to the one you want to use. Instead of tilling your yard rip it, grade the sod off, then reseed it.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...experience-bush-hog-gannon-earthcavator-2-jpg

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...nyone-have-experience-bush-hog-gannon-001-jpg

That's pretty slick, hadn't seen one like that before. Wouldn't ripping and grading the sod off take a lot of the top soil away with the sod?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Congrats on the new tractor Phylo. Get the box grader now, and get the grader blade when the snow gets here.
    A word of caution, make sure you have something heavy on the back of the tractor, like a box grader or tiller, when you start moving dirt with the loader. They get really tippy if you don't.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Congrats on the new tractor Phylo. Get the box grader now, and get the grader blade when the snow gets here.
    A word of caution, make sure you have something heavy on the back of the tractor, like a box grader or tiller, when you start moving dirt with the loader. They get really tippy if you don't.

Another option is the liquid filled tires. I had them do that on mine as I had used my dad's on many occasions and was surprised at the lack of traction it sometimes had.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Another option is the liquid filled tires. I had them do that on mine as I had used my dad's on many occasions and was surprised at the lack of traction it sometimes had.

There is also an option to fill tires with foam of some sort. No flats then.

As for the lawn, yes, you'll lose some topsoil but you won't have to fight the sod when you are trying to level it. Cut the grass as short as you can b4 you till and rent a landscape rake if you go that way. My tiller rotates in the opposite direction from the tires when moving forward and has a sifting feature that throws the larger chunks to the bottom and leaves the finer stuff for a seed bed on top. I've tilled standing hay with it but the grass will ball up along the sides of the tiller if you are cutting up a larger area.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think, since getting a big enough tractor with a big enough loader, we have had the grader blade on the hitch exactly zero times.

Boxes and blades would be on the very bottom of the list for what I'd want, but then again, you do have some other good items already at your disposal, and you may not need a post hole digger.

Yet. :):

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    There is also an option to fill tires with foam of some sort. No flats then.

The biggest problem with the foam (other than the cost and the weight, which are both, um. "significant") is that it tears up the tires WAY faster than they would otherwise.

I guess because the sidewalls can't flex anymore, the tread really takes a beating.

I'm not saying it's a BAD idea, because one of our bushhog tractors still has foamed fronts, but it's something to take into account.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think, since getting a big enough tractor with a big enough loader, we have had the grader blade on the hitch exactly zero times.

Boxes and blades would be on the very bottom of the list for what I'd want, but then again, you do have some other good items already at your disposal, and you may not need a post hole digger.

Yet. :):

I'm definitely going to need a post hole digger but haven't decided whether I'll buy one or just rent one.

Top Bottom