Government trying to makes tobacco illegal!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    H.R. 1108 is a bill being voted on soon stating that state and local governments will have power backed by the FDA to "regulate" tobacco shops and the products they sell. I haven't read the bill, but seen a post in my local discount store. Anyone with more information on this?

HOW DARE THEY BAN MY SMOKES!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Uninsured, Under insured health care is killing a lot of local hospitals, and the communities that support them.

I formerly worked for Health and Hospital Corp, which runs Wishard Hospital, and the Marion County Health Department. Keeping that hospital running takes a federal grant of around 80Million Dollars a year, on top of the taxes on Marion County Home Owners, and other tax sources.

Since smokers have more health problems, uninsured, or under insured people cost the health care organizations, or the government programs that fund them more than non-smokers do.... I imagine that has a lot to do with it.

How Much Does Smoking Really Cost? - Smokers Have Higher Health Insurance Costs
    Higher Health Insurance Costs

One cost determining factor for many health insurance policies is whether or not you're a smoker. If you're a smoker, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars more for the same health insurance policy than a non smoker.

Health and medical insurers determine the health insurance policy premiums based on studies done to ascertain the risk factors certain groups of people exhibit. If you fall into a riskier group, you usually must pay more for the same amount of insurance. Studies show that smokers have more health problems than non smokers and therefore pay higher premiums for the same health insurance policies. There are two prime reasons that smokers get tagged with higher health insurance premiums.

1) The act of smoking causes an increase in a number of health issues. These make it more likely that health insurers will have to pay out more money for a smoker than for a non smoker.

2) People who smoke tend to exhibit higher risk behavior than non smokers. The higher risk behavior leads to more health insurance claims than non smokers.

Doing a quick comparison on a free health insurance quote website with all the factors the same and same policy (age 44, male, living in CA, $1500 deductible) resulted in a $30 a month difference in health insurance premiums payments between smokers and non smokers. This means that smokers pay about $350 more a year for health insurance than a comparable non smoker.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    It will never happen. There is too much money to be made and would devastate the economies in the states that depend on it for a great deal of their income. All the talk about taxing it in the interests of citizen's health is just a bunch of hooey in my estimation. They want the money.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Why ban when they are taxing the **** out of it? Sounds like a dumb thing for them.

When has anyone ever accused the Government of being SMART. We have allowed the Government to become "Our" Nannies.

No Smoking
    No Drinking
    Wear Your Seat Belt
    Wear a Helmet
    Wear a Condom
    Don't Speed

251136110_80fad5ac3a.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok, well i'ma go find more info on this bill. If someone beats me to it, let us know whats up.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Ok, well i'ma go find more info on this bill. If someone beats me to it, let us know whats up.

Try These

H.R. 1108: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act ...

A bill in the US Congress: To protect the public health by providing the Food and Drug Administration with certain authority to regulate tobacco products.
    www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1108 - 51k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

HR 1108

110 HR 1108 IH: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act U.S. House of Representatives 2007-02-15 text/xml EN Pursuant to Title 17 Section 105 of ...
    thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc110/h1108_ih.xml - 254k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

H.R. 1108, Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act

Oct 3, 2007 ... FDA shares the goal of H.R. 1108, the “Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco ... H.R. 1108 would ask us to apply this framework to tobacco ...
    H.R. 1108, Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - 21k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

WashingtonWatch.com - H.R. 1108, The Family Smoking Prevention and ...

US Congress: HR 1108, The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.
    WashingtonWatch.com - H.R. 1108, The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - 43k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Why We Need S. 625/H.R. 1108 The Kennedy/Cornyn/Waxman/Davis Bill ...

Why We Need S. 625/HR 1108 The Kennedy/Cornyn/Waxman/Davis Bill Establishing FDA Regulation of Tobacco.
    Why We Need S. 625/H.R. 1108 The Kennedy/Cornyn/Waxman/Davis Bill Establishing FDA Regulation of Tobacco - 37k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

[SIZE=-2][PDF][/SIZE] H.R.1108

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    H.R.1108. To protect the public health by providing the Food and Drug Administration ....HR 1108 IH. health and societal problems caused by the use of to- ...
    FDA Authority Over Tobaccohr1108.pdf - Similar pages - Note this

OpenCongress - H.R.1108 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco ...

HR1108 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act on OpenCongress.
    OpenCongress - Bills: 110th Congress1108/show - 93k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

The House Committee on Energy and Commerce :: News Release ::

Apr 2, 2008 ... The Committee approved the bill, H.R. 1108, the “Family Smoking ... H.R. 1108 would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to ...
    energycommerce.house.gov/Press_110/110nr244.shtml - 34k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

[SIZE=-2][PDF][/SIZE] H.R. 1108

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    H.R. 1108 would specify that assessments on manufacturers and importers of tobacco products be recorded in the federal budget as offsetting ...
    www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=9472 - Similar pages - Note this

HispanicTips » » Esperanza Announces Support of H.R. 1108 ...

Esperanza, the largest Hispanic faith-based organization in the country, today announces their support of H.R. 1108, “The Family Smoking Prevention and ...
    www.hispanictips.com/.../ - 27k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I thought it was clear that smokers were intended to be worked hard, taxed heavy, kept out in inclimate weather and sure to die before collecting much social security.

Sure they are hard on Medicare, but we score big on Social Security.

At least, that's what one of those "internal memos" from RJ Reynolds argued back in the 90's. It hurt them in public opinion, but had a ring of truth in it as well.

I don't smoke any more. I don't like the smell anymore. I wish that others did not smoke.

But I would fight for their right to do it unimpeded as grown adults making adult choices!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    H.R. 1108 - Summary: Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (GovTrack.us)

Allows the Secretary to restrict the sale or distribution of tobacco products, including advertising and promotion, if the Secretary determines that such regulation would be appropriate for the protection of the public health. Prohibits such regulations from: (1) limiting product sales or distribution to authorization of a practitioner licensed to prescribe medical products; (2) prohibiting product sales in face-to-face transactions by a specific category of retail outlets; or (3) establishing a minimum age greater than 18 years of age for product purchases.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    oh, didn't see these other posts. my bad.

Either way, yes I know smoking is bad for you. It causes cancer, restricts your airways and lungs, it kills. So does living in a big city. Alcohol kills too. They tried to ban that and look what happened. Maijuana is outlawed. I don't see them enforcing that too well. Driving is the most dangerous thing most of us do on a daily basis. Should we outlaw driving? I just don't see where the government gets off on this crap. I don't see why we Americans sit and take this crap? Why is it so hard to motivate people to get up and say "To Hell With You and Your Crap!"?!?!!?! I just can't understand this...

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I don't smoke any more. I don't like the smell anymore. I wish that others did not smoke.

But I would fight for their right to do it unimpeded as grown adults making adult choices!

+1 :thumbsup:

I never have been a smoker but the Government hasn't any business
    prohibiting adult citizens from smoking :patriot:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't really care if people smoke, but I'm glad I can eat in restaurants and not smell it anymore.

The Government will eventually ban everything. I'm fat. I think I'm actually illegal in California now.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I don't really care if people smoke, but I'm glad I can eat in restaurants and not smell it anymore.

The Government will eventually ban everything. I'm fat. I think I'm actually illegal in California now.

Yea, California banned trans fat...wtf is this country coming too... :xmad:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

That's what they told me when I called: "If you can't huff and puff your way over the rockies, then too bad." That was after calling the Airlines and finding out that fat people are just not welcome anymore...

Between NY and Cali outlawing Transfats, why would you want to go there anyways? I mean, if I cannot have my AR-15 and a bucket of Fried Chicken, why would I want to go there?!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    That's what they told me when I called: "If you can't huff and puff your way over the rockies, then too bad." That was after calling the Airlines and finding out that fat people are just not welcome anymore...

Between NY and Cali outlawing Transfats, why would you want to go there anyways? I mean, if I cannot have my AR-15 and a bucket of Fried Chicken, why would I want to go there?!

My wife loves CA and wants to move back there some day. Yikes.

I will say there is some stunning places there (Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Mendocino, etc.).

You can still own an AR, you just have to weld on your magazine and never change it!! Instead of changing magazines, you just throw out your AR and buy a new one.

And, you can have chicken as long as its grilled in extra virgin olive oil. Yummy!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As far as smoking in restraunts, I can always step outside. No big deal. But what bothers me is saying I can't smoke in a public park, or anywhere that is outside for that matter. 100 feet from an entrance? pwah. Hold your breath. LOL The people spoke out. They were an overwhelming majority here in Hendicks County fighting the bans. And we lost to big money. How is that right?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This is another area that pains me. WE, you and I, are paying likely millions of dollars for "our" representatives to come up with this crap. If/When there is a legal challenge WE, you and I, will pay the court fees. And in general WE, you and I, didn't really request that our right to slow suicide be removed.

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    The anti-tobacco crowd are prohibitionists of the same stripe as the antigunners. I'm late for bed, but I'll come back later and fill you in on some surprising research I've done.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom