• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Once again I'm hearing about how the government may hafta "shutdown" because of lack of funding. The one thing I keep hearing is how,if it happens,people in the Armed Forces won't be able to receive their pay. I just wonder if the folks in Congress would still be paid or even the President for that matter? Really,what effects would have for the average working class citizen if they did shut it down?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Probably varies wildly depending on how many gov't services you use. If you needed to renew your passport, replace a lost social security card, etc. you'll probably see the effects more than someone who doesn't need those things. If its true the military won't get paid, that'd likely be a huge crimp in many local economies. Every military base has little symbiotic towns stuck to its main gates. If your a landlord or shopkeeper in those communities, it'd certainly be a big deal.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I think the really need to shut down the Government! Then we would all know just how much government we can do without.

Apparently not enough people took that message from the last shut-down; I'm not hopeful this time would be any different.

That said, shut 'er down all the same.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Has anyone really defined shut down? Methinks too many folks believe it is a complete shut down. That won't / can't happen, by law! Many, if not all, essential services stay in operation.

Would live to see a link defining it!!??

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    As much as I would like to see this countries financial problems fixed, I really don't want to see a government shutdown. I am currently receiving ALL my monthly income from the Government..my Army retirement, my VA disability, and my Monthly VA paycheck.

It would be a VERY tough thing to have to deal with.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Has anyone really defined shut down? Methinks too many folks believe it is a complete shut down. That won't / can't happen, by law! Many, if not all, essential services stay in operation.

Whatever scares the individual reader the most.

Or, more appropriately, whatever the executive branch can get away with that is calculated to have the highest negative impact on the perceived opposition.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Congressmen still get their pay last I heard.

:nono: In a .gov shutdown no .gov worker is given a paycheck (ie. direct deposit of frunds from Treasury to indvidual bank account will not occur)

The next payday for most .gov workers (congress included) is this Friday, Sept. 27, 2013.
    Payroll Calendars

So if the .gov shutsdown on October 1, 2013 and stays shutdown for say all of october. There will be no paycheck paid out on the 11th or 25th of October.

However as has occured in prior .gov shutdowns when Congress finally re-opens the .gov and they pass a budget/CR they have always paid the .gov workers and themseleves for the time the .gov was shutdown. So say the .gov reopens on Nov. 1, 2013. What would occur on the Nov. 8, 2013 paychecks is .gov workers would see 3 checks in one. Payment for the 11th of Oct., the 25th of Oct. and the 8th of Oct.

Correct even if the .gov shutsdown some .gov workers due to their positions are required to go to work. For example, Border Patrol agents will still partol the borders although (in the example above) they will NOT get paid on the 11th of October or 25th of October. They will NOT get paid until the .gov re-opens and it's the next payday.

There are essential and non-essential positions within each agency. Those positions are determined by the type of job they do vs the mission of the agency. Esstential workers will still have to come to work. They may or may not however interact with the public. For example a "SSA claim rep" in a field office may be essential but the SSA office may be closed to the public. So s/he will still go to work, continue the paperwork process of current cases but not take any new cases. Clear as mud?

Also before somone asks why is there "non-essential" workers in .gov then. Why can't we just get rid of them? Think of non-esstential as admin/logistics stuff. The FBI building has a building manager and inspector. They are .gov employees who's job it is to ensure the building is working right (AC works, lights are to code, no fire hazards, etc...) They are "non-essential" to the mission of the FBI but are needed for the building to be maintained.

Yes some of these positions can be contracted out but at the end of the day the .gov still has the expense of building maintence to deal with. Be it in the form of a contract with a private firm or via payroll for a .gov worker to do it.

Shut it down ,who cares ,I don't need the FEDS for anything

Maybe not directly but it will affect you, me and everyone else in one shape way or form.
    For example if the FAA send all it's workers home there will be no one manning the flight controllers so UPS and FEDX planes will be grounded and that pakcage you bought from GunsRUs.com with next day deliver will not make it by tomorrow since all flights are grounded.

Or .gov food inspectors do not inspect a plant as required by law, then the Chicken farm has to stop which in turn affects McD's chicken nuggest supply so when you go to order some McNuggest they are all out.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    Facebook quote from a government employee buddy of mine
    sums it up pretty well IMHO
    "(Government Shout Down)

Essential workers, the approximate one-third of the federal work force who "provide for the national security" or for the "safety of life and property," such as
    Congress- yea ok what a joke first and foremost they have to go on all expense paid vacation, the
    President- yea he puts up with the d bag congressman who are on vacation,
    Defense Department officials - ... Agreed
    Transportation Safety Administration workers- Agreed
    Food inspectors - Ok
    Air traffic controllers- Essential for congress to get to vacation destination
    Uniformed military personnel- Only one on list that deserves to be paid for what they do
    Border patrol agents and others Yea because they do such a great job of keeping illegals out of the US
    Will continue work and be paid when the government reopens. The remaining federal employees are furloughed with no guarantee of retroactive pay, though in the past they were compensated when the government re-opened

How about each of you congressman pay rent for the Capital Building out of your pay b/c you dip s**** can’t pass a budget. You all should be locked in until which time you pull your head out of your a**** and do your jobs( Just saying )"

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    It gets shut down every weekend and on all holidays with no impact on essential services or payments.

No it doesn't. Administrative offices may be closed, but there's a lot the government still keeps doing. It's still spending money and providing services. Hell my postal service is (until their new rules take effect) still sending me my mail/packages on Saturday.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    :nono: In a .gov shutdown no .gov worker is given a paycheck (ie. direct deposit of frunds from Treasury to indvidual bank account will not occur)

The next payday for most .gov workers (congress included) is this Friday, Sept. 27, 2013.
    Payroll Calendars

So if the .gov shutsdown on October 1, 2013 and stays shutdown for say all of october. There will be no paycheck paid out on the 11th or 25th of October.

However as has occured in prior .gov shutdowns when Congress finally re-opens the .gov and they pass a budget/CR they have always paid the .gov workers and themseleves for the time the .gov was shutdown. So say the .gov reopens on Nov. 1, 2013. What would occur on the Nov. 8, 2013 paychecks is .gov workers would see 3 checks in one. Payment for the 11th of Oct., the 25th of Oct. and the 8th of Oct.

Correct even if the .gov shutsdown some .gov workers due to their positions are required to go to work. For example, Border Patrol agents will still partol the borders although (in the example above) they will NOT get paid on the 11th of October or 25th of October. They will NOT get paid until the .gov re-opens and it's the next payday.

There are essential and non-essential positions within each agency. Those positions are determined by the type of job they do vs the mission of the agency. Esstential workers will still have to come to work. They may or may not however interact with the public. For example a "SSA claim rep" in a field office may be essential but the SSA office may be closed to the public. So s/he will still go to work, continue the paperwork process of current cases but not take any new cases. Clear as mud?

Also before somone asks why is there "non-essential" workers in .gov then. Why can't we just get rid of them? Think of non-esstential as admin/logistics stuff. The FBI building has a building manager and inspector. They are .gov employees who's job it is to ensure the building is working right (AC works, lights are to code, no fire hazards, etc...) They are "non-essential" to the mission of the FBI but are needed for the building to be maintained.

Yes some of these positions can be contracted out but at the end of the day the .gov still has the expense of building maintence to deal with. Be it in the form of a contract with a private firm or via payroll for a .gov worker to do it.

Maybe not directly but it will affect you, me and everyone else in one shape way or form.
    For example if the FAA send all it's workers home there will be no one manning the flight controllers so UPS and FEDX planes will be grounded and that pakcage you bought from GunsRUs.com with next day deliver will not make it by tomorrow since all flights are grounded.

Or .gov food inspectors do not inspect a plant as required by law, then the Chicken farm has to stop which in turn affects McD's chicken nuggest supply so when you go to order some McNuggest they are all out.
    Ha then wont effect me, I don't eat McD's, I don't fly , I done got all I need via UPS or FedEx

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    1375786_233754790108529_1112758032_n.png

Top Bottom