Government Agencies buying and stockpiling Ammunition. Ammunition Shortage caused by the Government?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As someone that retired from DOJ and was involved in Firearms Training let me break the numbers down

IRS has just over 2,000 Criminal investigatiors (1811’s) that are armed LEO’s. With 5 million rounds that breaks down to just over 2,000 rounds per agent. I doubt they shoot that much in one year with qualification and specialty training as they don’t have any specialty teams so the 5 million is probably a multi year contract.

A few years ago when Homland Security had a couple billion round contract was no different. With all the agencies under DHS your talking almost 100K Officers that ran 40 S&W alone at the time (almost all have went to 9mm Glocks or Sigs since late 2019) And factor in some do shoot quite a bit (USBP BORSTAR etc) then just to outfit everyone with their duty carry load out that’s a lot. As well as the 2 or so billion was a multi year contract.

I have also been in Bureau of Prisons Armories certifying SORT Teams or just with normal work and specifically at 2 places (Victorville California and Florence Colorado) have seen 1 million rounds at hand. Others over 300K And BOP usually have a 5 year expiration date and if they haven’t used them for duty or training they.regulate the to training at the 5 year mark.

And to the ones pointing out most purchases was JHP Duty Type Ammo. Most Agencies train with their Duty Ammo as they change it out every 90 days. Some buy ball for training only but not as a routine practice.

The YouTube folks are sure running with it though!
    Could you offer insight into whether those agencies were always keeping that much ammo on hand or if recent developments represented an escalation in the amount purchased?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Honestly, I've never understood the ban on HP ammo for warfare. It's (or at least soft point ammo) required for hunting everywhere as far as I know. So we want to make sure that animals are killed humanely, but wounding and crippling soldiers is okay?
    I think at the time the restriction was put in place it was meant to prohibit ammunition that was designed to tumble in flight or upon impact

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think at the time the restriction was put in place it was meant to prohibit ammunition that was designed to tumble in flight or upon impact
    So they wanted to ban that Russian 5.45x39mm 7N6 round that does pretty much what you described on impact.
    Since Russia didn't sign on they are still using it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Could you offer insight into whether those agencies were always keeping that much ammo on hand or if recent developments represented an escalation in the amount purchased?
    Yes! .GOV isn’t increasing anything as far as ammo buying

As far as insights all I can tell you is in the 20 years I was with DOJ we always had a large amount of ammo because it took a large amount of ammo for required annual as well as specialty training and then duty load out on top of that

And we shot more older JHP in training rotating it out every 90 days or so than we did ball.

I can also tell you in the 2012 ammo crunch (new town) as well as in 2020 before I retired a lot of agencies made adjustments to some of their specialty training as far as shooting amounts.

This sounds like it’s starting to stabilize and they are picking contracts back up where they use to be.

But some folks want to believe and run conspiracy stuff.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    YES!

As far as insights all I can tell you is in the 20 years I was with DOJ we always had a large amount of ammo because it took a large amount of ammo for required annual as well as specialty training and then duty load out on top of that

And we shot more older JHP in training rotating it out every 90 days or so than we did ball.

I can also tell you in the 2012 ammo crunch (new town) as well as in 2020 before I retired a lot of agencies made adjustments to some of their specialty training as far as shooting amounts.

This sounds like it’s starting to stabilize and they are picking contracts back up where they use to be.

But some folks want to believe and run conspiracy stuff.
    You mean like the Congressman?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You mean like the Congressman?
    Not sure what congressman but they all pander to a base. And that usually means running with something wether true or not.

They also spend like 3/4th of their time trying to get money for their own re-election LOL

And I added something on my statement you quoted just to specify what Yea I was saying

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not sure what congressman but they all pander to a base. And that usually means running with something wether true or not.

They also spend like 3/4th of their time trying to get money for their own re-election LOL

And I added something on my statement you quoted just to specify what Yea I was saying
    Did you not watch the video in OP?
    It has the Congressman Matt Gaetz talking about it.

Edit:
    I just checked he's up for reelection this year.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Did you not watch the video in OP?
    It has the Congressman Matt Gaetz talking about it.

Edit:
    I just checked he's up for reelection this year.
    I saw part of it and to be honest when I see folk like him running with stuff I just stop watching.

He’s just using what he can for cites. Like all 435 and 100 other Congressional and Senator folks do

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We've heard this before

Robert L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    Huntington
    When we take back the senate and the house, encourage your representatives to compel the gov't to sell off their stockpiles to the people in order to help lower the deficit
    I'd really rather we didn't. I remember when our boys were in Iraq and later in Afghanistan, that several families told be they were boxing up 223 ammo with their care packages to their kids because there wasn't enough ammo in country. I'd just as soon all our soldiers have enough ammo.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd really rather we didn't. I remember when our boys were in Iraq and later in Afghanistan, that several families told be they were boxing up 223 ammo with their care packages to their kids because there wasn't enough ammo in country. I'd just as soon all our soldiers have enough ammo.
    We're not talking military, we're talking deep state. I see no reason for the IRS or the FDA or HHS or any other institution with no law enforcement roll to have ammunition beyond one or two years training and proficiency needs

There should not ever be a federal police force, especially not an unaccountable one

Top Bottom