• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I actually think that the Government is smarter than that. What have they been saying on the news? There's already violence against the democrats because of this health bill. I think they know that there would be a civil war (not promoting it!) caused by it. Criminals, cops, and the regular John Q would unite and stand up for their rights. I believe the government knows this. I'm starting to think they would go a different route. Ammo. They stop the manufacturing and the selling of ammo. Even stop reloading equipment. No ammo, then what do we have? Hunks of metal. Maybe this has even started? We do have an ammo shortage going on now.

Thoughts?

SD45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    As you mention it is going to start with Ammo, but I believe there will continue to be this slow slide of banning or making cost prohibitive certain firearms or physical features of firearms (example, reducing magazine sizes....barrel lengths...etc.)

One day if we are not vigilant....we will wake up with nothing but a Daisy Red Rider...

Shadownick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Morristown, IN
    Well, that is never going to happen... they'd have to ban the importing of ammo as well. Which isn't going to happen. And if they did somehow ban ammo, crime would shoot up 1000% due to black marketing, etc. Just like the prohibition act. It's not gonna work and it's not gonna happen.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I agree, but I can also see them going the gun confiscation route due to the recent violence. If more violence ensued, they would declare a national state of emergency and it would be like New Orleans on a national scale. Either way, they're chipping away at it slowly...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I agree, but I can also see them going the gun confiscation route due to the recent violence. If more violence ensued, they would declare a national state of emergency and it would be like New Orleans on a national scale. Either way, they're chipping away at it slowly...

well they cant take em away in indiana anymore. thanks to HB1065

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    IMO if ammo was banned for sale today, it would take years to run out. Of course ammo would last longer if you're not shooting it. EDIT:Ammo you already have in your possession would last for years, and there's been a LOT of it sold lately.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    That is why I just picked up 6 boxes of WWB today. I'll be setting 4 aside and shooting the other 2. Next time walmart has 6 boxes I'll be buying more and setting 3 aside and eventually hope to have 2,000 rounds saved up.

I also plan on getting a cheap revolver and a box of ammo, hiding it deep in my car. I figure that way when SHTF, (I have enough food and water to last 2 weeks) and when those 2 weeks are over and the idiots have all killed each other off and ibecause money will be absolutely worthless I can always trade a gun and a box of ammo for a full tank of gas and some snackage for the ride back to the homestead in ohio.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i can see them trying to take ammo away. what will most likely happen is they will start enforcing strict guidlines on the ammo concerning dynamics. once this happens we will all know that it has begun and it will be time to snatch up every last box you see and then start to buy reloading equipment if you don't already own it. i have to disagree with you on this one Bisley. sorry, but ammo will be gone in a week if they were to ban it.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    That is why I just picked up 6 boxes of WWB today. I'll be setting 4 aside and shooting the other 2. Next time walmart has 6 boxes I'll be buying more and setting 3 aside and eventually hope to have 2,000 rounds saved up.

I also plan on getting a cheap revolver and a box of ammo, hiding it deep in my car. I figure that way when SHTF, (I have enough food and water to last 2 weeks) and when those 2 weeks are over and the idiots have all killed each other off and ibecause money will be absolutely worthless I can always trade a gun and a box of ammo for a full tank of gas and some snackage for the ride back to the homestead in ohio.
    Guns and ammo is a bad bartering item IMO. Nice theory but I would hate to trade one and then die by it. I don't see ammo or guns being taken away. It would reek havoc everywhere then.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Guns and ammo is a bad bartering item IMO. Nice theory but I would hate to trade one and then die by it. I don't see ammo or guns being taken away. It would reek havoc everywhere then.

I don't understand, you thinking. A 20 year old girl who survived the :poop: storm working a gas station is going to want to be able to protect herself.

If guns are bad bartering, what do you recommend? A wheel barrow full of money :n00b: After my said 2 weeks that I have enough food and water to wait the :poop: storm out in hiding here, I'll have no food left and money is going to be absolutely worthless.

Also I don't understand why you think ammo or guns won't be taken away. They're going to try, they did it in Australia and Brittan, they'll do it here to. REMEMBER it all starts with simple registration, then it goes from there.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

This is what I do. When I buy ammo I buy at minimum two boxes. One box out of each purchase always goes into storage. It doesn't take long to build up a good stockpile if you are disciplined.

As far as guns for trade goods: I try to have at minimum two boxes of ammo for each functional firearm that I own. I'm not saying that I would trade them in SHTF to just any drifter that wandered by with something I needed/wanted, but who knows what SHTF or TEOTWAWKI will be? There might be something I really need that I would trade a revolver and a box of ammo for or maybe a close friend loses everything and needs a helping hand. You never know what sort of situation you will be in so it never hurts to prep more.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I don't understand, you thinking. A 20 year old girl who survived the :poop: storm working a gas station is going to want to be able to protect herself.
    And you're going to trade her guns and ammo for gas and food. You hand her the gun...then she shoots you and takes your car...with a full tank of gas..and the food.

She now has transportation, food and protection. Pretty sweet trade, huh?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    And you're going to trade her guns and ammo for gas and food. You hand her the gun...then she shoots you and takes your car...with a full tank of gas..and the food.

She now has transportation, food and protection. Pretty sweet trade, huh?

I highly doubt that but if you think that's is what will happen be it.

What should I do, go in and shoot and demand free gas?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

I think this is only one scenario. It depends on how bad you need the gas and what sort of feel you have for the situation. I think that on general principles, having a spare firearm and ammo stashed in the car is a good prep.

I can sit here and imagine all sorts of situations where it would come in handy, if nothing else as a back up gun for yourself. You just have to decide on a case by case basis whether or not you would trade it.

-What if trading a gun would save my child's life?
    -What if I run into someone I trust but that person is out of ammo or has had their weapon confiscated?
    -What if I have to prove to a group of survivors that I can contribute something useful to the group in order to join/be let in?

Yes, I think that trading a gun would be a very touchy endeavor, but I won't say that I would never do it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

While I'd never promote violence...I assume when you refer to SHTF...you're speaking of the end of a civilized society rather than just the inconvenience of hard times.

At some point in time you'd have to decide if you seek to survive. If the answer is yes...you'll have to do some pretty ruthless and demoralizing things to do so.

Never barter something that can be used to kill you. :twocents:

Top Bottom