• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A percussion conversion. More of a work of art back then. Look at the tail on that breech plug! Plenty of rust. Had trouble getting the trigger guard off until I realized the trigger is held in with a very thin metal rod through the stock. The lock will be soaked with Kroil for awhile before I attempt to take it apart.
    IMG_0812.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is the lock. Would have been a better picture representation before adding Kroil. At first I thought the hammer had been peened onto the shaft but now I think the original screw is so bunged up that it looks peened.

The trick will be loosening the screws without breaking them off at the lock plate. Another lock for a different gun has that wonderful feature.

IMG_0814.jpeg IMG_0815.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The screws in the lock plate came out surprisingly easy. The hammer is loose on the shaft but will not come off as the screw has been peened and some of the shaft is slightly peened. I have two options. Try to carefully cut a slot in the screw or carefully file it down and re-drill for a new screw. The safety behind the lock engages slots in the tumbler. I can’t separate the bridle and tumbler until I get the hammer off.
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0819.jpeg

Top Bottom