• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    So +1 to Bradis, got a hex receiver 1933 Izhevsk for a great price. Came with three ammo pouches, dog collar sling, tool kit, dual oil can. It is my first so i cant wait to go get kicked by it. I really like all the stamps on it showing where it was made and trying to research it. I have been over to 7.62x54r.net for identifying it and breakdown/cleaning. Some of the stamps seem to be from pre 1928 while still carrying the 1933r stamp on the receiver. My future sister in law is not a gun fan but is trying to become a history teacher,you should have seen her going over this thing. She had more ohhs and ahhhs than my brother. Very cool piece of history.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

9mm vs 7.62 x 54r for those that don't know
    picture.php

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Put your imagination cap on, and try to imagine what it must have been like to carry one of these into battle. Can you imagine having to use that thing to defend your life?

One or two shots at a distant target is one thing, but having to use the bayonet because you just can't cycle that bolt quick enough for the rush of the enemy?

I had the same thought when I picked up my Nagant pistol, and again with my type 99 Arisaka 7.7 Jap.

"There but by the grace of God go I..."

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Put your imagination cap on, and try to imagine what it must have been like to carry one of these into battle. Can you imagine having to use that thing to defend your life?

One or two shots at a distant target is one thing, but having to use the bayonet because you just can't cycle that bolt quick enough for the rush of the enemy?

I had the same thought when I picked up my Nagant pistol, and again with my type 99 Arisaka 7.7 Jap.

I was thinking this the whole time i was cleaning it, wondering who made it and what circumstances were going on. Then i thought about the trench gun with a bayonet and had to shudder a little at the thought of that one.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana

From what they say, every other man in the Russian military was given a Nagant and then the other guys were given just bullets. Now that is Messed up!!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Congrats on the gun!

You're going to like it.

(Something to remember when you are cleaning it.... Cosmo is your friend. She is what kept the rifle preserved for you.)

Alexp120

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    I have 4 Mosins, different production years. Now I am looking to get ex-dragoon, or one with a tsar double headed eagle.
    During WW2, many russians were sent to front with 1 Mosin for every 3 soldiers, and each had a 5 bullets clip. This was pretty common for the first few months. Also, soldiers that ran away from germans, were sent back to the front the same way, sometimes with bayonet only.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Welcome to Mosins. Now check out the Model 38 and Model 44. Both have very interesting historys. The model 91/30 doesnt kick too bad, The model 38- 44 will give your sholder a workout.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Yep, you have done it now! Next is the spam can of ammo, russian hat, vodka, caviar, and sore shoulder. Best long gun buy around, and a blast to shoot. Learn it well, windex will remove a lot of gunk after firing, and then gunoil will save your rifle forever. Try it with the bayonet attached.
    Have fun!

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Just got back from Atterbury Shooting Complex. Took some friends and family down for a couple hours of shooting. Lesson number one save the Mosin for after handguns, my 5906 felt 100lbs heavier after firing @200 rounds through the Mosin. The Mosin had not one issue, kick wasn't as bad as expected and considering we didn't have any sandbags or stands the accuracy was really good ejected great, loaded great, I am very happy with it. One guy that was there with his son came over and asked about it so I gave him the best history lesson I could then let him fire it and he was hooked after 5 rounds. Also at the range today we had my 5906, my gf's 442, buddies Glock 19, p22, LCP and one of their friends SR40c. The Ruger trigger is strange after firing my 5906, don't know how I feel about it, very different feel. Had a blast, my gf's sister ended up having the best day I think, she had never fired a gun and shot 3 today and was a pretty darn good shot.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I love getting my Mosin out. I wish I had a place to let it really stretch its legs though.

I've also toyed with the idea of getting another one to sporterize, but for the money I'd have in it I could get a Remington 700.

Top Bottom