• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Gorbachev was probably the best Russian head of government since before the commies took over in 1917. He achieved better east-west relations and presided over the fall of the U.S.S.R in a peaceful manner. A hardliner or other less competent leader would've caused extreme bloodshed or possibly the end of the world (ala Nuclear War) in dealing with that crisis. Gorbachev was far from perfect, but one of a few Russian leaders worthy of respect.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've often wondered who came up with the idea of using SDI to fix soviet attention in the Geneva and Iceland summits. SDI must have seemed terribly convincing to them as it was the number one thing Gorbachev wanted to talk about at Geneva and that continued on to Iceland. That's a lot to say for what was at best a theoretical concept.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    U.S. President George Bush, at press conference alongside Gorbachev after talks, Dec. 3, 1989:

"For forty years, the Western alliance has stood together in the cause of freedom. And now, with reform under way in the Soviet Union, we stand at the threshold of a brand new era of U.S.-Soviet relations... I am optimistic that as the West works patiently together and increasingly cooperates with the Soviet Union, we can realize a lasting peace and transform the east-west relationship to one of enduring cooperation."

My, how things have changed.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    U.S. President George Bush, at press conference alongside Gorbachev after talks, Dec. 3, 1989:

"For forty years, the Western alliance has stood together in the cause of freedom. And now, with reform under way in the Soviet Union, we stand at the threshold of a brand new era of U.S.-Soviet relations... I am optimistic that as the West works patiently together and increasingly cooperates with the Soviet Union, we can realize a lasting peace and transform the east-west relationship to one of enduring cooperation."

My, how things have changed.
    Sad to think about how much further we could be if we worked together on things like space exploration rather than blowing each other up. The vast unending resources of space are going to be a necessity sooner rather than later.

Now we are heading for round two with China. :(

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Sad to think about how much further we could be if we worked together on things like space exploration rather than blowing each other up. The vast unending resources of space are going to be a necessity sooner rather than later.

Now we are heading for round two with China. :(
    Not to say the Cold War and tensions between us didn’t lead to tons of technology advancements as well. It was concerning learning how close we were to nukes flying a couple of times.

I guess sometimes peaceful cooperation just isn’t possible, we built China on peaceful cooperation and now they are looking at the people around them hungrily while building up their military with great speed. Maybe this market collapse coming will slow that down a bit. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom