• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    What is the best choke tube fore goose hunting? I am a first timer thinking about some late season geese? What is the shot you would recommend? Thanks

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Back when I blasted them I ran a reg full choke w 3" mag #2 Bismuth.
    Expensive, but solid killer to 50 yards.
    Have not tried any of the new hybrid pellet loads (Black Ckoud, Blindside etc).
    Have a 3.5" gun (870 Supermag) and some BB Blindside 3.5"...............if I ever want to get out and test ;) I'd pattern it with a Modified choke tube before going out.

dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    If you're using steel you need to go up one size of choke.
    Improved modified will pattern close to modified &
    Improved cyl. will pattern like I.M. You also need to use BB or BBB.
    Steel doesn't carry as far as heavy shot, but if you can get them to decoy
    it works well and it's a lot cheaper.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I decoyed them all the time, and ran #2 bismuth.
    Having them come down like wet towels is pretty darn cool.
    Rather dislike having to swat them again or wring necks.

Bismuth I never had to. Reg BBB steel 3.5" didn't bring them down all the time, and even at 35 yards too many hit the deck with a lot of "go" left to them.

Crazy priced nowadays, bismuth. Hopefully the newer steel shot pellets and loads have better results.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I use a modified choke in my 11-87 for geese. I normally shoot BB or occasionally if I buy the expensive Heavy Shot, I'll go down a couple sizes to get more pellets out there. The steel shot you need BB or BBB to bring them down. Heavy shot will take them down much better, way more energy delivered to the bird so a smaller shot size is ok and you get more shot downrange

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Great info, the place I would be hunthing them would be small river no decoys so I'm not sure what kind of shot recommended I should use. I do have 870 in 3.5 magnum if that helps your recommendations. I would prefer to use lead as it is better on the teeth if I happend down upon some shot.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Great info, the place I would be hunthing them would be small river no decoys so I'm not sure what kind of shot recommended I should use. I do have 870 in 3.5 magnum if that helps your recommendations. I would prefer to use lead as it is better on the teeth if I happend down upon some shot.

Check the regs to confirm, but Lead is a legal NO NO for migratory waterfowl harvesting as the lead can be ingested by bottom feeders.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would go about as full as possible. If you are trying to get super serious I would buy a pattern master or kicks extended range or something that is super tight and shoot BB... I run a foiles strait heat choke and run 2's if I am hunting geese and ducks and BB or only geese. Dropped them at 70yards stone dead. I would say something like this would do you well 3" shells with do it but 3 1/2 will really get them. Not much difference other than more pellets but I like that!

I will also say I killed one in September with BB and a modified choke when I was out focusing on teal before and had not changed chokes back to full. But the more full the better IMO!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    For decoying geese- 20-40 yds a modified will work just fine. At this time of year run BB or BBB in steel. DO NOT use lead. And remember to aim at the head not the body.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No, I wish. I prefer to shoot them with other things though. ;)

Yeah, I've got some picture of some pretty mallards like that... But they are all dead haha maybe I could get photos in February goose when/if ducks come in. Great pic though man anyhow, I like the avatar!

Top Bottom